PDA

View Full Version : Excellent Article

Paul Stagg
01-07-2004, 10:03 AM
I'm normally not much of a fan of T-Mag, but they sure do have a couple of gems.

This is one of them:

http://www.testosterone.net/nation_articles/291seven.jsp

Simple, and to the point.

defcon
01-07-2004, 10:16 AM
agree.. this is a great article.

rpffly
01-07-2004, 10:23 AM
Ain't that the truth....

prof
01-07-2004, 11:05 AM
"Unfortunately, with 500 experts for every fundamental principle, and very little money to be made from repeating other people’s ideas, experts must continually emphasize the small (and often relatively unimportant) differences between their diet/eating plans and the diet/eating plans of all the other experts out there"

wow how true is that, unless they are academics where there is a whole career to be made out of that

the doc
01-07-2004, 11:53 AM
yes, simple and to the point. good guideline no matter what the diet composition

aka23
01-07-2004, 03:12 PM
I agree with much of the article. I think some of the recommendations are unnecessary.

1. Eat every 2-3 hours, no matter what. You should eat between 5-8 meals per day.
One could interpret "no matter what" to mean interrupting sleep for meals. I think that such frequent meals are rarely needed, whether awake or sleeping. The body closely regulates its amino acid pool. AA still appear in the blood stream even 8 hours after a large meal. I doubt that it would make much difference whether you ate every 2-3 hours or went longer periods in terms of protein utilization, lean body maintenence, and metabolism; assuming the meals are balanced (contain carbs + protein) and contain typical protein sources (not whey), as well as proper pre/post workout nutrition.

4. Ensure that your carbohydrate intake comes from fruits and vegetables. Exception: workout and post-workout drinks and meals...
6. Drink only non-calorie containing beverages, the best choices being water and green tea.
I interpret this to mean that one should not consume carbohydrates from grains or milk. I think this is an extreme recommendation that is not supported by the article. It is important to have some fruits and vegetables. He recommends this in point 3 (3. Eat fruits and/or vegetables with each food meal.), but I think that eliminating all grains and milk is unnecessary and would have negative effects for many. .

The only point that I think is essential is #7:

7. Eat mostly whole foods (except workout and post-workout drinks).

Budiak
01-08-2004, 12:29 AM
From What I've read (on this site and others and various articles) fruits are lousy sources of carbs because fructose puts so much into your liver stores, if you fill it too much, bad things happen. Then comes Tmag saying that all of your carbs should come from fruit because face it, veggies have jack **** for calories, period.

Saint Patrick
01-08-2004, 12:39 AM
From What I've read (on this site and others and various articles) fruits are lousy sources of carbs because fructose puts so much into your liver stores, if you fill it too much, bad things happen.

:withstupi

I hardly ever eat fruit. Maybe like 10-20 servings per year.

Holto
01-08-2004, 09:10 AM
clinical research has shattered the meal frequency thing

I try to have my fruit early enough in the day that it gets metabolized

Maki Riddington
01-11-2004, 06:49 PM
I love fruit. I eat it when I can.