PDA

View Full Version : Protein and kidney danger??

Mic Soloist
01-07-2004, 09:42 PM
With the condition that Alonzo Mourning is in and various other stories I've heard lately, I have been wondering how much of a danger high levels of protein can be to the kidneys and other body organs.

I ususally take in between 180-200g protein per day into my 170 pound frame. This is a good amount for a athelete like myself who is trying to pack on muscle. However, I don't want to spend my middle age years on dialisis. So according to what is currently known, how much of a danger is this hight protein intake??

-mic-

Scott S
01-08-2004, 01:01 AM
None unless you are genetically predisposed to kidney problems. WHat's wrong with Mourning?

Saint Patrick
01-08-2004, 01:34 AM
He had a kidney transplant, but I don't think his kidney problems were related to protein at all. I seriously doubt that he was on a high protein diet.

I'm with Scott on this one.

hemants
01-08-2004, 05:47 AM
Protein puts an extra load on kidneys but they are designed to handle it. If you are pre-disposed to kidney problems then excess protein may accellerate this problem but there's ZERO evidence to suggest that protein is harmful to healthy kidneys.

One thing you can do is to eat a balance of acidifying and alkalizing foods and drink lots of water.

http://www.thewolfeclinic.com/acidalkfoods.html

P.S. At 170lbs, studies would suggest that you are not using any more than 150g of protein per day for muscle building.

chris mason
01-08-2004, 06:11 AM
Alonzo Mourning has a rare disease which effects his kidneys. Protein consumption does not cause this disease.

Consuming the amount of protein which you do will have no detrimental effect on your kidneys unless you have a genetic predisposition for kidney problems. Healthy adults can consume large amounts of protein with no ill effect.

shootermcgavin7
01-08-2004, 07:28 AM
None unless you are genetically predisposed to kidney problems. WHat's wrong with Mourning?

I hardly keep up with the NBA myself anymore. It's really gone downhill since Magic and Larry Legend were duking it out.

drew
01-08-2004, 08:05 AM
I asked a urologist about it when I had kidney stones. He said the extra protein will have little or no effect on the kidneys, and as long as you drink plenty of water (about a gallon a day), you should have nothing at all to worry about.

Glenn626
01-08-2004, 06:46 PM
I have heard that excess protien may put SOME strain on the kidneys, but if you drink plenty of water, you should be okay. But remember, too much protien will turn to fat...too much of anything is too much.

JTyrell710
01-08-2004, 06:59 PM
ZO has something like foculglomor..isitis? It has nothin to do with protein at all.

A urologist I know named a kidney stone "Kobe" because it wouldn't pass...

Jasonl
01-08-2004, 07:37 PM
I have heard that excess protien may put SOME strain on the kidneys, but if you drink plenty of water, you should be okay. But remember, too much protien will turn to fat...too much of anything is too much.
From what I've heard, that really isn't an effecient process for the body, therefor it just turns it waste.

Holto
01-09-2004, 08:49 AM
the body never wastes precious energy

remeber we are designed to avoid starvation

AllUp
01-09-2004, 09:47 AM
I asked a urologist about it when I had kidney stones. He said the extra protein will have little or no effect on the kidneys, and as long as you drink plenty of water (about a gallon a day), you should have nothing at all to worry about.

True.. True..
I heard the same.
As long as you dont digest a 5lb tub of protein in one sitting and there is enough water present to assist in fast dilution to liquid form you should be fine.