PDA

View Full Version : 17yr old in need of some help!

Chubrock
01-08-2004, 07:30 AM
Here is a little background on myself. A little over a year ago I was 5'10 and weighed 240lbs. I got fed up with being overweight so I started exercising A LOT. I never bothered to figure out the proper weigh to lose the weight, so I simply cut my calories. At the time I was probably consuming around 1250-1500cal. a day. At this point in time, I am 5'11 173lbs. Now that I have lost this weight, I see where I screwed up. I feel that I have lost a lot of muscle and still have some flab. I play an hours worth of full court basketball everyday, as well as about 1.5 hrs or more of tennis. I am trying to tone my muscle and get my abs to appear, but I would like to do it the right way. My question is, WHAT SHOULD I EAT? How many calories should I be bringing in, and with what types of food?

drew
01-08-2004, 08:09 AM
At your weight, you should aim for 1700-2000 cals per day, and look to lose 1lb per week. Eat every 2-3 hours and get 5-8 meals per day. Try to eat whole foods with protein like chicken and fish and get plenty of vegetables and whole grains. Drink lots of water. Get yourself a weight routine (check out the WBB routines) and read everything in the diet forum.

Chubrock
01-08-2004, 03:40 PM
What are some good things I could eat during school? That's the hardest thing for me to do. Also, what is everybodies view on sodium?

drew
01-09-2004, 08:15 AM
Bring a can of tuna, some sunflower seeds or peanuts. Pack a peanut butter sandwich (natural peanut butter on whole wheat). Chicken sandwiches would be alright too. Just watch out how much bread you get, lots of calories there. Beef jerkey on a limited basis is good too.

I don't worry much about sodium, as long as my blood pressure is in line.

Chubrock
01-09-2004, 10:37 AM
When you say peanuts, do ya just mean like any I could buy from the gas station, or should I be looking for something specific? Also, can I pick up natural peanut butter from just a reg. grocery store? I've heard people say that you need a spread of like 40/25/35 ( just random numbers off the top of my head). I'm assuming this is a percentage of calories based on protien, carbs, and fat? At my weight and based on my expectations, what do you think would be a good split for me? Thanks for all the help man, I know I've asked a lot of questions.

drew
01-09-2004, 10:44 AM
Yeah, just regular peanuts. Natural PB can be found on the bottom shelf where all the junk food PB is in your grocery store. The spread is basically BS. Try to get 1-1.2g of protein per lb of weight and you should be fine. So about 175-200g of protein should do it. I would add in about 50-60g of fats. The rest with carbs.

illpumpyouup
01-09-2004, 02:49 PM
Don't starve! Eat lots of good food
Food isn't your enemy Hunger is!

I also agree with drew, tuna and peanuts would be perfect; also a bag a baby carrots would be good for you. Its easy to carry around and you can eat it by it's self.

JTyrell710
01-12-2004, 08:42 PM
you dont need to eat that much! cmon guys, he's not a bodybuilder who needs 8 meals a day, i think 3-4 is most adequate and, try to keep the calories clean and around 1500- if thats not enough, kick it up a few hundred and see about your energy levels there. Be sure to talk a multi- every day, chicken-fish-vegetables and fruits. maybe one or two peanut butter sandwhiches if you must- boiled egg whites is a great healthy snack, ditto for vegetables- if you can stand their taste.
Be sure to keep the workout up, you should be well on your way!

In no way am I saying dont eat, I'm just saying with only an hour of bball and tennis a day- its just excessive eating to get 6 meals in :burger: