PDA

View Full Version : Microwaving Eggs

archanix
01-08-2004, 09:11 AM
I have always hardboiled my eggs, but recently because of the lack of time in the morning I have been microwaving my eggs. Does the microwave deteriorate any of the nutrional value? Thanks in advance.

PedestrianX
01-08-2004, 10:14 AM
One time i tried to microwave a hardboiled egg jsut to warm it up a bit.. BOOOOOOMMMBASTIC! it was a bitch to clean up.

Stray
01-08-2004, 01:47 PM
I can't see how cooking it in the microwave would deteriorate the nutritional value, so I'd say no.

Strider2
01-08-2004, 02:52 PM
I find the microwave great for doing scrambled eggs...yum

Dedicated
01-08-2004, 02:58 PM
Is scrambled the only way to microwave an egg? Can you microwave eggs like to make them sunny side up? Is the taste the same as fried eggs? Also how many minutes to microwave say 3 eggs? I can make GREAT eggs but on a frying pan heh.

Stray
01-08-2004, 03:57 PM
I have this AS SEEN ON TV Egg cooker.

It looks like two small clamshells that make two pretty little eggs.

I suppose mixing them up in a bowl together till the yolks are broken,cover and heat would serve the same prupose.

Behemoth
01-08-2004, 05:36 PM
:( sounds gross

JTyrell710
01-08-2004, 05:57 PM
As none of you know nothing about this at all- no offense :)
Heat (and extreme cold) denatures proteins, what that means is it destroys bonds and unravels them, essentially destroying them- I am not sure how much is destroyed by cooking, but im pretty sure not very much- because otherwise.. why eat chicken, unless raw.- Microwaves use tiny wave technology to cook them and I had the same question a few days ago, i came to the conclusion that it doesn't denature the proteins- although it seems as if it would. I haven't seen any studies that prove against or for either theory, yet. I suggest you search google for "Heat/(or microwave) denaturing proteins"

chops
01-08-2004, 06:01 PM
where has bradley been? :scratch:

pusher
01-08-2004, 06:08 PM
As none of you know nothing about this at all- no offense :)
Heat (and extreme cold) denatures proteins, what that means is it destroys bonds and unravels them, essentially destroying them- I am not sure how much is destroyed by cooking, but im pretty sure not very much- because otherwise.. why eat chicken, unless raw.- Microwaves use tiny wave technology to cook them and I had the same question a few days ago, i came to the conclusion that it doesn't denature the proteins- although it seems as if it would. I haven't seen any studies that prove against or for either theory, yet. I suggest you search google for "Heat/(or microwave) denaturing proteins"

Actually, denaturing the protein through cooking has no effect on their nutritional value, you actually need to break them down so you can use them. No difference. Hope that clears things up.

PS. No offence taken.

PizDoff
01-08-2004, 06:44 PM
Ugh, I just stank up the place microwaving eggs.
I put a couple eggs and some egg white stuff in......wasn't very good either.

:(