PDA

View Full Version : I do weight lifting, should I eat a lot?

carlossalsa8
01-09-2004, 03:31 PM
i do weight lifting everyday except sunday and monday cuz i play soccer those days. I am 19 male, 5'9'', 157 pounds, I have a good body, but i don't think I eat that much. I only eat fruits, vegetables, and 2 meals a day. the two meals differ, sometimes I eat yoshinoya, pollo loco, subway, etc. I know that if I do weight lifting I have to eat a lot, but I am afraid that if I eat a lot I will get fat a lose my six pack. I run an hour tuesday thru friday, half and hour on saturday. I run most of the time 8 to 9 miles. Losing many calories I believe. Then I go lift weight, but after I am done I get hungry but I don't eat cuz it's night and I have heard that eating during night your food get stuck and the metabolism doesn't react till next day. Sometimes I get so hungry but instead of eating food I eat a fruit, I used to eat more but since I got into the gym I kind of got into a diet at the same time. The questions are: if i run, and do weight lifting I should eat a lot right? how many meals do you think I should eat a day? it won't get my six pack to go away right? they might be stupid questions but I just need someone to advice me. Thanks.

illpumpyouup
01-09-2004, 03:51 PM
Wow with that kind of weight training and all of that running you should not have to worry about losing your six-pack, especially at you age. My advice to you, which I learned from experiece, is EAT!!!! Eat, Eat, Eat. That and training hard is the only way you will continue to gain quality muscle. You also need to eat a lot of protein; 1.5 grams of protein * your body weight is how much protein a day you should take.

1.5 * 157lbs = 235.5g a day

Don't worry about gaining any fat with eating more, with you workout routine you will burn any fat that you might gain.

Eating 6 small meals a day is better in gaining muscle then eating 3 large meals. So spread out your calorie intake, eat something every 3 hours.

I also recommend taking whey protein, because I know how difficult it is to eat something so often, and a protein shake is perfect for a meal replacement or when your in a hurry and don’t have much time.

I hope this helps!!

carlossalsa8
01-09-2004, 04:33 PM
thanks. It really helped me. I will start to EAT-EAT-EAT more. I was worried because I stopped going to the gym because of work, and I was losing my two last pack (six pack), I started again 3 weeks ago and now I almost have it the same as before I just need to work them out more. I hurt my stomach in a soccer game really bad and I have a pretty big bruise aside the six pac, but everytime I do abs, it hurts. I will stop doing abs for a week or 2 weeks , do you think running will keep them as they are? I also used to eat a lot of bread ( french bread) I should say everyday, I ate bread with a breakfast of eggs, beans, platanos, ( hispanic food), I stopped eating bread a while ago, but I really miss it, do you think I should eat bread at least once a week? Thanks for giving me some of your time. I really appreciate it.

Ironman15
01-09-2004, 04:51 PM
You remind me of this guy I went to school with. He hardly ate anything and when he did he would go run a few miles because he didn't want to lose his six pack. Do you want to get bigger or have a six pack? Granted a slow bulk would enable you to probably do both. Just start eating multiple times per day, as in 5-7, and make sure you take in adequate protein as said before. If you really want to get bigger you might want to cut down on the cardio as well. Just my 2-cents.

Ironman8
01-10-2004, 12:07 AM
Food is essential for growth, as well as energy for lifting as well as your other activites. Try not to skip meals and eat whenever you get the chance :)

PedestrianX
01-10-2004, 01:40 AM
Yea, stop starving yourself man!

carlossalsa8
01-10-2004, 12:18 PM
It is not that I am starving my self, it's just the fact that I don't really know anything about nutrition, and it's hard for me to decide wut to eat. That's why it's hard for me to choose wut foods to eat. I used to eat hamburgers, pizza and all the fatty food that could exist, but at that time I didn't care about my body and running and soccer kept me in shape. Now that I care and don't eat fatty food, i don't know wut types of food to eat. It's pretty hard to learn about nutritions facts.

Saint Patrick
01-10-2004, 12:25 PM
Search on this forum and you will experience enlightenment.

carlossalsa8
01-10-2004, 12:28 PM
I know bread get you fat. How often do recomend bread should be eaten ( let say french bread) a week?

JTyrell710
01-10-2004, 01:39 PM
bread wont get YOU fat- you need to learn alot more about nutrition
bread and carbs get people fat because they do no exercise and have no metabolism, your metabolism is basically the best it will ever be right now, and with all the running you do and work- YOU NEED CARBS!

carlossalsa8
01-10-2004, 02:49 PM
bread wont get YOU fat- you need to learn alot more about nutrition
bread and carbs get people fat because they do no exercise and have no metabolism, your metabolism is basically the best it will ever be right now, and with all the running you do and work- YOU NEED CARBS!

You are right!! I need to learn more about nutrition that's why I am asking people to advice me, as you being one of them I appreciate your help. There are a lot of things I don't know and they might be stupid questions. I thought bread would get me fat, but see for me, the routine I have, the running, and weight lifting has been very tiring. Now I am used to it. But I started to work and i still have the same routine. All I need is a good source on nutrition info. and eat better. Thanks for the info.

carlossalsa8
01-10-2004, 02:51 PM
How do we know whether the metabolism is slow or fast? ? ? ? ? ?

tubstain1
01-10-2004, 03:53 PM
Your metabolism is fast because of your lifestyle. People who are overweight generally have a much slower metabolsim and by living your lifestyle (running working out) they SPEED up their metabolism. When your metabolism is high, you do not get fat easily, because all the extra calories is burned rather quickly. You have high energy expenditure due to your activity levels, therefore you will not put on fat easily if you maintain those energy levels. Eat and eat a lot, but eat smart. Snack on high protein sources, like cottage cheese, while at the same time fuel your body with carbs (bread) before your workout so that you have energy to run those miles.

PedestrianX
01-10-2004, 04:00 PM
I think you are WAAAAYYY to worried abou getting fat man. It seems like this fear of somehow instantly getting fat overnight and ending up on a downward spiral to obesity and grossneess is stopping you from trying anything new.