PDA

View Full Version : casein based meals

xxr79xx
01-10-2004, 11:52 AM
Hello All I am new here I read one the protein threads and I am just wondering what exactly is a casein based meal? Would't this be milk? Not really sure how to have a meal that is casein based any help here will be greatly apprenticed

thank you

:newbie:

Saint Patrick
01-10-2004, 12:28 PM
I'm not sure what you're referring to as "Casein Based Meal". I guess if you drank enough milk then you could call it a meal lol.

I take 20g casein powder in the morning with one scoop of whey mixed w/ 1 cup milk.

Holto
01-10-2004, 06:10 PM
Opticen in milk

add cottage cheese to bump it a few more grams

mmckinley
01-10-2004, 07:04 PM
I just eat fat free cottage cheese and a carb source with fiber, like three apples. 2 cups of cottage cheese has like 60g of protein. Theres no need really to buy a supplement with casien.

Saint Patrick
01-10-2004, 07:08 PM
Theres no need really to buy a supplement with casien.

It's a slower digesting protein than whey, so it's better for Breakfast and before bed. :)

mmckinley
01-11-2004, 04:57 PM
Yeah I know that casien is absorbed slowly over a longer period of time than whey, which makes it ideal for before bed... I just meant that you can get casein cheaply from cottage cheese rather than paying for a casein supplement powder. Plus I feel that whole foods are a better choice than supplements if they are just as practical.

aka23
01-11-2004, 06:08 PM
Hello All I am new here I read one the protein threads and I am just wondering what exactly is a casein based meal? Would't this be milk? Not really sure how to have a meal that is casein based any help here will be greatly apprenticed

thank you

:newbie:

The protein in milk is about 70-80% casein and 20-30% whey. The protein in most dairy products is primarily composed of casein. Generally harder cheeses contain a larger portion of casein than softer cheeses. However, if you really want a "slow digesting" protein, I would recommend an animal product like chicken or beef. These will generally digest more slowly than either casein or whey.

xxr79xx
01-11-2004, 08:53 PM
I read that you should not combine Casein proteins and Whey together because the casein will completely nullify the whey protein as it gels in the stomache making it too slow to digest when the purpose of taking whey is for fast digestion

:bang:

Saint Patrick
01-12-2004, 01:22 AM
It won't nullify the protein itself, just slow down the digestion.

Whey = Post workout

Casein = During or in-between meals.