PDA

View Full Version : Help with Bench Power

BigBadJohn
01-11-2004, 10:58 PM
Ok, this will probably sound pathetic to most of you, but you have to start somewhere is what I figure. I am 22 yrs 6' 250 ... My bench is around 155lbs in the 8 rep 2 set range...and probably around 185lbs for just one rep. My buddy who is like 150lbs is killing me on the bench...how do I really skyrocket my bench capabilities?
My usuall routine is a small warm-up with light weight...then my couple sets of 8 with 155lbs (Flat) a couple sets of 8 with 115lbs (Incline) and a couple sets of 8 with 155lbs (Decline).
Any advice so I can start to lift like my size says I should?? Thanks for all the help. John

Tank23
01-12-2004, 05:09 AM
How long have you been training for?

Reinier
01-12-2004, 06:06 AM
you may be better off, regardless of your long term goals, by focussing on your muscle mass and bodyfat% first.

6"0 250 lbs, and can only bench 185 lbs, sounds like have some fat on you. maybe its better to get that off first.

when you feel you are ready for strength specific training you could look into some tested power training routines, like westside powerlifting method for instance.

ElPietro
01-12-2004, 08:38 AM
You could lower the reps and increase the weight. Try to improve either by doing extra reps, or raising the weight each week. Try doing something like one set of 3 and then 2 sets of 6, using weight that you can barely get the last rep on. Mainly, just be mentally tough and come in really intense, ready to break records each time you lift.

You could have form issues but that's tough to help with on the net. Make sure you are also hitting your triceps heavy, and shoulders as well.

Rock
01-12-2004, 01:30 PM
russian bench pressers who wants to increase their benchpress rapid over a short period of time, benchpresses medium and light 6times a week, and then the next week one time a week, and then 6times again and then totally back to normal.

KingJustin
01-12-2004, 06:45 PM
russian bench pressers who wants to increase their benchpress rapid over a short period of time, benchpresses medium and light 6times a week, and then the next week one time a week, and then 6times again and then totally back to normal.

Are you alluding to that routine that you claimed added around 40-50 lbs to your bench in one month? ..by any chance have you or has anyone found it yet?

Also, I agree with Reinier.

TurboStu
01-22-2004, 04:32 PM
I agree with what the others said, work on the weight loss first, but also lift during that time. And then when it comes to benching, well if you want to do something to really show your $h*t off, flat bench with CHAINS! I'm not sure if many around on this board have heard of this, but I can get you a good desecription of it if you want, just let me know. Good Luck!

Seanzilla
01-22-2004, 11:35 PM
Here's a great basic benchpress program for a lifter with a 185 1RM:

Bench Day 1
Regular Benchpress - warm up with bar x 20 and 85x12
Regular Benchpress - 135x6x3 (135 pounds, 6 reps per set, 3 sets)
Regular Benchpress - 155x3x3
Close Grip Benchpress (hands halfway between the smooth center of the bar and the guide rings) - 115x6x3
Tricep Cable Pushdowns - 3 sets of 20 reps with whatever weight you can use while maintaining good form. Remember to keep your upper arms along side of your torso and don't lean forward. Let your triceps push the cable bar down, not your chest (when you lean forward, it's your chest doing the work).

Take 4 Days off from training chest, shoulders and triceps.

Bench Day 2
Regular Benchpress - warm up with bar x 20 and 85x12
Decline Benchpress - 145x3, 155x3, 165x3, 175x3
Regular Benchpress - 135x3, 145x3, 155x3, 165x3
Incline Benchpress - 85x6, 95x6, 105x6

Take 4 Days off from training chest, shoulders and triceps

Repeat the cycle

Note: DO NOT MISS REPS! If you miss a rep, then make a note of that in your training journal and use a slightly lighter weight the next time you work through that training day. Also, avoid "two man benching" (your spotter's hands on the bar). If, looking back at your training day, the reps seemed too easy, then slightly increase the weight the next time you work through that training day (do not increase the number of reps or sets). This program is really basic and all that it requires is a flat benchpress, an incline benchpress, a decline benchpress and a tricep cable pushdown station. If you're six feet tall, then your flat, incline and decline bench training grip width should be your middle finger on the guide ring. Work though this training cycle eight times and then try for a bigger 1RM. I'm guestimating that you'll be hitting around 205 after eight training cycles.

f5x2000
01-23-2004, 08:10 PM
Hi, I've only been powerlifting for 3 years, but I do think that this may help you. This is something my last powerlifting coach Bob Weiland taught me, you know the guy that lost his legs in vietnam and went on to set a world bench press record anyways. Anyways, he didn't really stress the amount of reps or sets. He was just very strict about form. When I first met him, I was 16 and benched 335. Within 4 months I went up to 380 using his techniques. Heres what he made me do during those almost tortuous 4 months. I would use a weight that was relatively light for a low rep set. Say 250 for reps of 5. I would lower the weight on my chest and hold the weight on my chest for 3 seconds. Of course the weight needs to be controlled so you don't accidentally kill yourself. I did sets like this ranging from sets of 8 to sets of 3. You would alternate on heaviers days to hold the weight down there for up to 5 seconds and lighter days to hold the weight for about 3 seconds. I think it was pretty effective. He also jacked my squat up to 530 pounds in those 4 months with the same technique ( although this didn't last as I injured my knee during football training shortly after)