PDA

View Full Version : Quick HIIT question

hanfeitzu
01-14-2004, 06:24 AM
I've just started trying to do HIIT. I'm trying to lose about 10 lbs, or basically just get rid of my small spare tire. Am I on the right track doing the following?

2-3 times a week:
8 mins jogging for warmup
8 sets of 15 seconds of sprinting followed by 45 seconds of walking
7-8 mins walking to cool down.

In addition to that I'm doing aikido about 2 times a week (on off days) and I really want to squeeze in 2 days of lifting somewhere (chest/tri, back/bi).

I guess I want to make sure I'm doing enough during the HIIT part, and not doing too much elsewhere.

Behemoth
01-14-2004, 08:05 AM
The HIIT looks ok just so long as the 15 seconds that you're sprinting for are literally 100%. Don't go for time with the sprints, go for effort. You'll reap more benefits with 4 seconds of 100% than 10 seconds of 75%. Eventually that will go up. Also when starting out, you may need to take more than 45 seconds of walking to be rested enough to do another 100% effort sprint. You want to make sure you're rested enough to give your all again even if that means walking 2 minutes. Eventually that will go up to. But the most important part about it is giving 100% in the sprints.

hanfeitzu
01-14-2004, 08:16 AM
But the most important part about it is giving 100% in the sprints.

I've been really conscious of pushing myself during the sprints. The 7th and 8th ones might be a little bit suspect but I'm really trying to go as fast as I can.

I actually suprised myself with how fast I could run. I haven't just flat out ran for speed's sake in awhile.

Behemoth
01-14-2004, 11:39 AM
Sounds like you're doing it right then.

geoffgarcia
01-14-2004, 12:28 PM
hanfeitzu, if your truly concerned about reducing your spare tire than you should spend some time to learn about diet/nutrition

all this cardio/akido/weight training is just consuming calories (and mobilizing some fat cells)

hanfeitzu
01-15-2004, 01:07 PM
hanfeitzu, if your truly concerned about reducing your spare tire than you should spend some time to learn about diet/nutrition

all this cardio/akido/weight training is just consuming calories (and mobilizing some fat cells)

I already eat reasonably well. When I was still in college and lifting 3 times a week and doing regular aikido, I was comfortable with my weight. When I graduated I lost the time for all that, so now I'm making up for it.

I eat a decent amount of protein, not too much fat, etc.