PDA

View Full Version : Max Effort Exercises

tom o
01-14-2004, 04:47 PM
The Periodization Bible - Part 2 (http://www.ontariostrongman.ca/Resources/training/Westsidetrainingpt1.html), by Dave Tate, suggests to do primarily good mornings, low box squats, and deadlifts for max effort in training the squat and deadlift. Why is this? Would doing squats necessarily be a bad thing?

He similarly suggests alternative exercises when training max effort for the bench press: floor press, board press, close grip bench press, etc. Same questions go for this, but in relation to the bench press exercise.

Anthony
01-14-2004, 04:56 PM
I wouldn't say it's bad, but there are two main reasons (to my knowledge) for using alternatives. The first reason is that they will focus on weak points of the main movements. The second reason is that your body will adapt and stop progressing after a few weeks of ME work. Change the exercise and you can continue progressing.

I'm new to the PL game, so hopefully someone with more experience can better answer your questions. :)

Chris Rodgers
01-14-2004, 06:51 PM
Anthony pretty much summed it up.

benchmonster
01-15-2004, 01:19 PM
ditto anthony

B

Budiak
01-15-2004, 03:44 PM
Squats are just what you do between good mornings. They're that good.

FortifiedIron
01-16-2004, 11:11 PM
Its funny how Louie and Dave say its conjugated when really its set up very linear.

Kc

HeavyBomber
01-21-2004, 11:02 AM
Squats are also much harder on the CNS.