PDA

View Full Version : Low Fat Yogurt

Sesoku
09-21-2001, 11:24 AM
I am trying to gain muscle slowly without more fat than necessary. I like yogurt and I have been eating about two cups a day recently. Is it worth it or should I substitute another food? I am usually eating one cup with lunch and another a few hours later for a snack.

Tryska
09-21-2001, 11:26 AM
the sugared fruity kind or plain yogurt?

KryptoAllez
09-21-2001, 11:42 AM
IMO, Sugar=Evil, even on a bulk.

Sesoku
09-21-2001, 12:59 PM
It's sweetened with aspartamine and fructose

Tryska
09-21-2001, 01:01 PM
by you or by someone else?

either way, yogurt is fine, but you would be better off getting the plain kind, and adding your own fruit to it. At least that way you know exactly what your eating.

Jane
09-21-2001, 02:55 PM
Hey, i like yogurt really really cold so i stick it in the freezer sometimes. Do you think I am damaging all the good stuff in there and killing the bacteria?

I probably am, but I hope not, because it kind of reminds me of frozen yogurt like that, but better.

:confused:

Wizard
09-24-2001, 05:49 AM
low fat yoghurt is ok

The fruity ones,as Tryska said are sugared,so avoid them.

Maybe try low fat cottage cheese.

Tryska
11-06-2001, 08:35 AM
just wanted to bump this and let y'all know i actually found a flavored singlepack yogurt i approve of.

no artificial anything, not too sweet, no high fructose corn syrup. They use either honey, maple syrup, or fruit juice to sweeten it, and even then it's not overloaded with sugar.

Brown Cow Farms - they make organic, as well as non-organic, full fat and fat-free flavored yogurts, and no growth hormones.

good stuff.

ericg
11-07-2001, 10:43 AM
And where would you find this?? At the local store??

Tryska
11-07-2001, 10:58 AM
i found it at my local farmer's market store. Any place that carries Organic foods and Natural foods should have it. Like Whole Foods Market or something. I remember my mom being able to get the plain Brown Cow yogurt at our regular grocery stores...and that was in upstate new york so it should be relatively easy.

Wizard
11-07-2001, 11:18 AM
Organic? I want the ones that contain growth hormones! :D

Well.. j/k

However,organic are great.. They contain very healthful good bacteria (cultures of galactobacillus,l-bifidus etc) which promote a helthy digestive system.

Tryska
11-07-2001, 11:21 AM
yeah..these are even better then usual, as they contain acidophilus, bifidus, s. thermophilus, ad l. bulgaricus.

it's a "mixed culture yogurt" if that means anything.

ps - whole milk cherry vanilla rox0rs.

Scooby-Doo
11-11-2001, 03:53 PM
I like Stoney Field yogert. Its Oraganic and not 2 sweet. They sell this at most large grocery stores. (at least in my area)

w8lifter
11-11-2001, 05:30 PM
While we're on the subject of yogurt, can I get your opinion on this yogurt. It's the least of the evils that I've found...I know plain would be better but it's so gross, lol.

Ingredients: milk ingredients/modified, strawberries, modified corn starch, gelatin, natural flavours, active yogurt cultures w/ L acdiophilus, aspartame, sodium citrate, potassium sorbate, colour

Breakdown per 125 g: 52 cals, 4.7 pro, .1 fat, 10g carb (8 g sugar, naturally occuring)

Okay...looking at those ingredients I think I answered my own question, lol, but I'd still like your opinions. I'm looking for a low sugar yogurt that still has the benefits of yogurt...ya think it's good? I only eat 2tbsp tops per day mixed w/ my cottage cheese.

Tryska
11-11-2001, 05:49 PM
stonyfield is a good brand too. i like them.

w8...it's got aspartame in it, so you don't want my opinion *lol*, but 2tbsps isn't bad. maybe you could check a health food type grocery, to see if they have any that are truly all natural?

w8lifter
11-11-2001, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Tryska
w8...it's got aspartame in it, so you don't want my opinion *lol*, but 2tbsps isn't bad. maybe you could check a health food type grocery, to see if they have any that are truly all natural?

Yeah, I know....maybe I should take my own advice and not eat anything I can't pronounce or know what it's for :rolleyes:

Budiak
11-12-2001, 02:10 AM
Buy plain stuff and put your own damn fruit in it!

Or did like I did for a while- mix vanilla flavored protein in it!

What I ate for breakfast fora number of months was plain yogurt with vanilla protein powder stirred in, topped with all-bran or fiber-one cereal. I dig it....I'd say its an acquired taste.

Tryska
12-13-2001, 08:13 AM
just wantd to say.....the dannon light'n fit yogurts

SUCK

that is all.

can't wait to get to the store and buy my usual organic all natural stuff. :rolleyes:

The_Chicken_Daddy
12-13-2001, 08:37 AM
why don;t you just buy some natural or unflavoured yoghurt and add in some vanilla seeds fresh from a pod. Leave them in there for a few hours at least and eat!

either that or add some vaniall extract. [note, not essence. Essence is the work of the devil.] 2 tsp should do it nicely.

you could also cut up some strawberries and throw them in. I knwo they have extra carbs, but you'll only use about 4-5 whole strawberries for one yoghurt so the difference won't be of any significance.

Tryska
12-13-2001, 08:45 AM
if my life were that simple, i would actually go that route chigs...but i would need to find canisters..mix this stuff up daily, pack it, etc, etc.....and that becomes too much hassle. it's easier for me to pick up single serving packs in a variety of flavors...you know what i mean?

The_Chicken_Daddy
12-13-2001, 08:54 AM
you're just no fun in your old age Tina...

Tryska
12-13-2001, 08:56 AM
no...i'm just saving all my fun for the husband and kids, sweetie darling.

The_Chicken_Daddy
12-13-2001, 08:57 AM
you must be a zepplin of aceness waiting to happen...

Tryska
12-13-2001, 08:59 AM
word.

actually...here's a quote i ran across yesterday that i dig:

"The old woman I shall become will be quite different from the woman I am now. Another "I" is beginning, and so far, I've not had to complain of her."

-george sand

Jane
12-13-2001, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Tryska
just wantd to say.....the dannon light'n fit yogurts

SUCK

*sigh* that is the kind i eat. i cant find any organic natural stuff and so far have not had any success mixing stuff in my own yogurt concoctions.

Tryska
12-13-2001, 10:07 AM
they gave me that nutrasweet sick feeling. some things with nutrasweet don't make me react like that, like my current whey...but this did. i haven't been feeling right since.

try looking for stonyfield or friendship, or brown cow brand.

Jane
12-13-2001, 01:42 PM
i will, but until i find it (or until i convince my mom health food stores are not evil and will not make me lose twenty pounds, or get a drivers license, whichever comes first)

do you think its really bad that i eat it anyway? I figure if I have it after a meal that is a large salad with lots of veggies and protein (cut up chicken or canned chicken, for example) and a little olive oil, having that 22g of sugar carbs or whatever wont be that bad since the body needs carbs anyway so it can use the protein of my chicken correctly. Whaddya think?

Tryska
12-13-2001, 01:47 PM
no it's not bad. it's just the aspartame in it i can't stand. but then the others ones without aspartame use high fructose corn syrup. it's really a no win situation.

Prelude
12-13-2001, 02:59 PM
I use aspartame everyday. Is there aything wrong with aspartame?

Tryska
12-14-2001, 08:00 AM
remains to be seen. I personally think there are some long term effects that aren't apparent yet, including alzheimer's and ADD in children, due to the excitotoxins in aspartame, similar to what happens with MSG, but there isn't a whole lot of research ont he topic.

there is also some evidence it messes with carbohydrate metabolism....

most people disagree with me, but that's their choice. it makes me sick..i try not to use it because it's bad for my body.

umm....here's a couple of threads where it has been discussed at length:

http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6499&highlight=aspartame

http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3343&highlight=aspartame

http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1224&highlight=aspartame

hope that helps.

Prelude
12-14-2001, 08:06 AM
which one would be a good substitue then--splenda?

Tryska
12-14-2001, 08:10 AM
mmm..i'd go with stevia as my first choice, and then splenda....i've only used splenda once....i pretty much just skip the sweetening, or use products that use just plain sugar, or honey or maple syrup or fructose. (but i tend not to eat a whole lot of sweet stuff anyway)

Prelude
12-14-2001, 08:19 AM
I skip sugars too even when bulking. However, sometimes I tend to have cravings for a cold soda especially during the hot summers in Texas. Are there any diet soda that uses stevia or splenda?

Tryska
12-14-2001, 08:23 AM
not that i know off. strange to say, but IMO, if you have a cold soda craving, just drink the regular stuff and call it a day. I don't crave soda too much, but if i did, that's what i would do. well it's what i'd have to do, because diet soda's make me sick quite consistently.