PDA

View Full Version : How To Resensitize after Compulsive Dieting

_-_v_-_
01-16-2004, 09:36 AM
In all honesty, I'm not necessarily sure if this is the appropriate forum for this thread -- it could easily accord well with General Health or General Chat, for example -- but, rather than debate its proper placement, I think it better to post it here despite my doubts, so that I can more rapidly glean the requested information.

In other words, I'm an idiot. Ignore me.

But I digress.

Anyway, the other day a question was posed to me, one which precipitated a rather detailed period of self-examination and, of course, concomitant self-excoriation (in my mental paradigm the two are inextricably tied -- if one occurs, the other necessarily follows). Specifically, I was asked if I was adhering to a diet contrary to my physiological cravings -- in other words, was I eating so rigidly as to exclude what my body was telling me I needed. I realized that I couldn't answer. I cannot remember the last time I ate in accord with physiological need; I don't know what it is to have my body tell me that, say, I need salt, or that I need this food, or that food, etc... Apparently I have long since deafened myself to those soft sensory signals, just as I have difficulty differentiating between hungry and not hungry, between full and not full.

Has anyone experienced something similar? Is this necessarily something about which I should be concerned? Certainly I would like to be less responsive to my obsessions and more receptive to my sensations.

I suppose this made little sense -- if so, I'm sorry. I'm tired, busy, and far from being in the best shape to write a cogent self-exegesis. But I'll let it stand as it is.

Manveet
01-16-2004, 10:23 AM
lol, I'm trying to figure out you're question. Does it have something to do with eating only when having the physiological signals to do so, in comparison to eating just so you can get you're cals in?

galileo
01-16-2004, 10:54 AM
I think he's asking how to quit bodybuilding.

PizDoff
01-16-2004, 11:36 AM
I like doing squats.

My dieting is pretty screwed as it is right now.
Lack of regular sleep, slightly out of training.

IronDaddy
01-16-2004, 11:39 AM
In all honesty, I'm not necessarily sure if this is the appropriate forum for this thread -- it could easily accord well with General Health or General Chat, for example -- but, rather than debate its proper placement, I think it better to post it here despite my doubts, so that I can more rapidly glean the requested information.

In other words, I'm an idiot. Ignore me.

But I digress.

Anyway, the other day a question was posed to me, one which precipitated a rather detailed period of self-examination and, of course, concomitant self-excoriation (in my mental paradigm the two are inextricably tied -- if one occurs, the other necessarily follows). Specifically, I was asked if I was adhering to a diet contrary to my physiological cravings -- in other words, was I eating so rigidly as to exclude what my body was telling me I needed. I realized that I couldn't answer. I cannot remember the last time I ate in accord with physiological need; I don't know what it is to have my body tell me that, say, I need salt, or that I need this food, or that food, etc... Apparently I have long since deafened myself to those soft sensory signals, just as I have difficulty differentiating between hungry and not hungry, between full and not full.

Has anyone experienced something similar? Is this necessarily something about which I should be concerned? Certainly I would like to be less responsive to my obsessions and more receptive to my sensations.

I suppose this made little sense -- if so, I'm sorry. I'm tired, busy, and far from being in the best shape to write a cogent self-exegesis. But I'll let it stand as it is.

This is why you track what you eat. As a bodybuilder/athelete you are telling your body to do something different then maintain (or according to evolutionist get fat.) Taking supplements and doing the exercises are going to throw your body off (at least it does mine) and that's why you have a schedule and track your cals/nutrients. Sometimes you eat when you're not hungry and sometimes you don't eat when you are. I think what I am trying to say is your body isn't always right when you are stepping outside the norm.