PDA

View Full Version : cooking eggs

Mystic Eric
09-21-2001, 05:47 PM
how do you make scrambled eggs so they're not all runny and gross?

heathj
09-21-2001, 05:48 PM
uhh you cook them.

Mystic Eric
09-21-2001, 05:49 PM
baaaa!! thanks for the help :swear:

no, sometimes they don't go light and fluffy, but watery and gross. any useful suggestions?

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-21-2001, 05:53 PM
Cook them for a bit longer.

Tryska
09-21-2001, 06:04 PM
actually chigs...wrong answer, bud.

your eggs are all watery and gross because you cooked them too long. turn the heat off when they are just binding together, like almost cooked (to the light and fluffy consistensy) and then let them rest for a minute.

voila....perfect scrambled eggs.

heathj
09-21-2001, 06:05 PM
Tryska, you are the weakest link, goodbye!

When they start turning brownish on the oustide, that is too long, stop then. MMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......

Tryska
09-21-2001, 06:07 PM
well you can believe him if you want too...but i've never had scrambled eggs turn brown on the outside.

fried eggs maybe...but umm..scrambled eggs aren't supposed to be brown.

Alex.V
09-21-2001, 06:15 PM
I've never had eggs get runny from OVERcooking.....

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-21-2001, 06:18 PM
mine dry up if i over cook them.

They never go brown - i use a microwave.

Tryska
09-21-2001, 06:41 PM
well i guess it depends on how long you overcook them for....once they get past a certain point, the protein matrix in the albumin tightens up, and it releases the water. (kinda like when you "break" eggwhites, by whipping it too hard, and it gets chunky and watery at the same time? b might know what i'm talking about, the rest of y'all probably don't)

anyways..that's pretty much what happens. If you cook them till they "look cooked" then once you put them on the plate and let them settle for a couple of minutes they will be in a pool of water. However if you overcookt hem til they are hard, then the water let go from the albumen will evaporate off.

makes sense?

*lol* trust me guys i've been cooking since i was 12.

Mystic Eric
09-21-2001, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Tryska
actually chigs...wrong answer, bud.

your eggs are all watery and gross because you cooked them too long. turn the heat off when they are just binding together, like almost cooked (to the light and fluffy consistensy) and then let them rest for a minute.

voila....perfect scrambled eggs.

ok ok, am i doing this wrong?

here is what i do:

turn the heat up to low-medium heat and throw in a small tsp of olive oil then i let that pan heat up t'ill it fizzes when i throw in a sprinkle of water

then i throw in the eggs and kinda flip them around or what not t'ill it cooks

and sometimes they come out good, sometimes they look and taste like crap.

so what do you mean by when "they are binding together"???

Tryska
09-21-2001, 06:47 PM
Standard method - stolen from some website.

Scrambled Eggs With . . .

Nearly everybody starts his culinary adventures with this dish. And whatever he does wrong may linger on for life. For instance, hard, dry eggs are usually preferred by the very young, and this unfortunate preference is as hard to wean people from as well-done steak. (In his eighties, my Australian father-in-law was still imploring waiters to "incinerate" his.)

First of all, be sure that the white and yolk are completely amalgamated. (I have watched lazy short-order cooks try to do this after the eggs have hit the sizzling grillplate -- a hideous striped slab results.) Beat in half a teaspoon of water, milk, or cream for each egg used. Two table forks held slightly spread in one hand do the best job of preparing eggs for scrambling or omelets, because this system avoids overaerating the eggs as a wire whisk tends to. Sprinkle in salt and pepper and blend in any extra ingredient, such as cooked onions, herbs, cottage cheese, chipped beef, etc. Cottage cheese may sound a bit weird but it not only lightens and extends the eggs, it really is delicious.

Put a generous amount of butter into a cold skillet (or lightly butter a nonstick pan) and set over medium heat. When the butter is hot and frothing (not browning or smoking), pour the eggs all at once into the center of the pan. Stir lazily in a circular motion with the flat of a fork until the eggs are semi-set but still moist. Serve on warm plates.

Never serve scrambled eggs -- or eggs of any kind -- on cold plates. In fact, never serve anything on cold plates unless the food is intended to be cold. I am a fanatic on this point and simply cannot understand people who tolerate the best prepared food slowly congealing on the plate before it reaches the table.

Tryska
09-21-2001, 06:50 PM
here's another one, in case that ne didn't explain it:

Scrambled Eggs:

The secret to successfully scrambling eggs is slow cooking. a rubber spatula does a good job of moving the eggs. Don't worry about melting the rubber - the heat is (or should be) too low to damage it.

Always remove scrambled eggs from the heat when they are almost set but still appear shiny and a bit underdone.

Tip:
After removing the pan with the scrambled eggs from the heate teaspoon cold light cream of milk for each four eggs and stir fast for a second. This is to stop the cooking, which would otherwise continue for a few minutes by the internal heat retained by the eggs. Without this last step, the eggs would be overcooked and dry.

syntekz
09-21-2001, 07:04 PM
Mix it with some milk; this makes them REAL fluffy and add some shredded cheese too. Perfect scrambled eggs. :D

Mystic Eric
09-21-2001, 07:13 PM
:( i quit this is too hard

that's it, COOKING CLASSES! hopefully there will be babes there

Maki Riddington
09-21-2001, 07:26 PM
Sheesh how hard is it to cook up some eggs.

syntekz
09-21-2001, 09:42 PM
LOL. Just get your mom to cook 'em for ya!

Mystic Eric
09-21-2001, 09:59 PM
you know maki, you're really starting to test my patience with your constant comments that try to belittle me...

Budiak
09-22-2001, 01:38 AM
Turn up the heat.
Medium/high, at highest.
When the pan with vaporize water in about five seconds, its ready. Have your can of pam ready, your serving plate, wooden spoon, and bowl of beaten eggs ready.

Spooge that pan with a hefty coating of pam. Throw the eggs on quickly as to not allow time for teh pam to brown. As soon as those eggs hit the pan they'll start to cook (duh). Let them sit for about ten seconds, then fold the cooked eggs from the pan's surface and let more egg coat the bottom. Repeat this until there is no more freeflowing egg, then chop up the cooked egg in the pan and cover if you feel like. Let sit for about 20 seconds or so (perfect time to coat with cheese or whatever) and there you go. I've been doing this for years and it has never failed me, as long as you have a good pan and constant heat, its a winner.

Chris Rodgers
09-22-2001, 01:15 PM
Tryska= crack-smokin foo!

Just hard boil them. They won't be runny at all.

heathj
09-22-2001, 01:18 PM
I like to stir them all around in the beginning while they are still running, makes them nice and fluffy in the end.

Shankerr
09-22-2001, 10:47 PM
Ok, this is gonna sound odd, but make sure that you use a fork to beat the h*ll outta the eggs, and a WOODEN SPOON!!! to stir them in the pan. Use a non stick pan, and a bit of pam, or olive oil (a bit as in about a half teaspoon for six egg whites, one yolk) . At this point, heat the oil to about 200-250F and add the eggs to the centre of the pan. Heres where it gets tough, use a wooden spoon, doesn't scratch the pan, and allows more surface area for contact with the eggs. slowly stir the eggs around in a figure eight, scraping the edges every ten seconds or so, always making sure to have the spoon touching the pan while your doin it. once they start to clump up, take them off, put them on a plate, smother them with something to kill the nasty taste that you start to notice after eating about a billion and a half egg whites, and enjoy.

or just put the eggs into a pan, cook till you have a solid chunk of egg on teh bottom, and a runny mess on top, flip it over, cook the runny crap, adn then slide it out on a plate and worry about cutting it up later. lazymans scrambled styles.

Ronan
09-23-2001, 06:05 AM
I'm assuming that your eggs you are using are actual eggs right Term??? But I do know that if you cook up the egg whites you get from in a carton, they have a completely different consistency than a real egg.

Btw Tryska- that was an interesting point about eggs reaching a certain point and then breaking down again.

Tryska
09-23-2001, 08:10 AM
thanks sav - learned that bit of science from Alton Brown on the Food Channel!

porkchop
09-29-2001, 01:04 AM
you guys try to hard boil your eggs? it's a nice change from sunny side up and scramble.....