PDA

View Full Version : Protein Bars vs Protein drinks?!?

Focused
01-19-2004, 05:05 PM
sometimes i dont have enough time(or money) to eat all the food that are high in protein...which is better to take bars or the drinks? does it matter?

and does anyone know where i can get either one cheap online?

Saint Patrick
01-19-2004, 05:09 PM
Well as far as the money thing, Tuna and stuff is WAY cheaper than buying MRP's, so that's no excuse.

Protein powders are more economical, the bars are more portable.

And no, in the grand scheme of things, it won't matter. When you're 85 years old and can barely hold your own bowels, it won't matter if you use Protein Powders Vs. Bars.

Focused
01-19-2004, 05:13 PM
oh yeah i forgot about tuna...too bad i cant tolertae too much of it though

btw whats a mrp?

virus
01-19-2004, 05:21 PM
meal replacement (pack?) or something like that

Saint Patrick
01-19-2004, 06:46 PM
Meal
Replacement
Product
:)

I'm telling you though, food is cheaper.

gopher
01-19-2004, 10:41 PM
Meal Replacement Powder.

PizDoff
01-19-2004, 10:56 PM
"which is better to take bars or the drinks? does it matter?"
I find bars take too much energy to eat.
And they fill you up.

Drinks on the other hand won't fill you up as much.

Saint Patrick
01-19-2004, 11:39 PM
Meal Replacement Powder.

Well then how can a MRP be in Bar form? That's not exactly powder.

I suppose it could stand for either.....

gopher
01-20-2004, 01:37 AM
Well then how can a MRP be in Bar form? That's not exactly powder.

If it's in a bar form it's called a bar. If it's in powdered form it's an MRP.

TheGimp
01-20-2004, 05:27 AM
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=mrp+bar

I'm not saying it couldn't be both, but MRP bar is clearly a valid term.

Allyrulez
01-20-2004, 05:36 AM
Food is gay

Protein bars are SO DELICIOUS, and theres jus something with strutting around town munching a big ass protein bar. I feel like such a twat its awesome, and i wear my gym gloves all the time

Saint Patrick
01-20-2004, 01:37 PM
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=mrp+bar

I'm not saying it couldn't be both, but MRP bar is clearly a valid term.

Thank you very much.

raniali
01-20-2004, 03:05 PM
the protein in bars is usually of a less desirable form (therefore less biologically available) than proteins from a good powder. protein bars are NOT supposed to taste good. it is all the other crap (and glycerin) added to make them somewhat palatable. they use various protein sources to make the bar taste/feel better than what you get in a quality drink.

TheGimp
01-21-2004, 12:45 AM
If you want the convenience of a bar then consider making your own from protein powder but use something like casein or a blend rather than whey for slower digestion. That way you can avoid all the crap they put into commercial ones. They probably won't taste as good but food for function not for taste right? :) Check out the recipe forum for some ideas.

gopher
01-21-2004, 12:50 AM
Not to beat a dead horse but typically if you go to any supplement site you will find powders such as MetRx, Myoplex, UltraMet, etc listed under MRPs. You will find bars under their own separte category. I'm to lazy to do it right now but I am fairly certain that if you go to DPS or any other major supplement supplier's web site and look under MPRs you will not find any bars.

Berserker
01-21-2004, 05:49 PM
Another thing to consider is that bars usaully have more carbs then powder. Though for meal replacement that is probably good.

eudaemon
01-21-2004, 08:35 PM
If your are on a mass gaining program, these bars are an excellent supplement to a balanced diet. 30grams of protein in each and they taste great. I am heavier than I have ever been and my One rep max is up in all lifts especially squats. Protein bars are almost too convenient, I am very happy with the added muscle.

drew
01-22-2004, 06:31 AM
Food is gay

Protein bars are SO DELICIOUS, and theres jus something with strutting around town munching a big ass protein bar. I feel like such a twat its awesome, and i wear my gym gloves all the time
lmao!

bars are ok. food is better. i usually get one shake a day but reserve a stash of tri-o-plex or detour bars in case of emergencies.

PeterParker
01-22-2004, 07:23 AM
in my bag which i carry everywhere with me, i have tins of tuna which have a ring pull on them and i carry plastic forks as well, therefore i can eat my protien and then thrown away the can and fork

AllUp
01-22-2004, 08:37 AM
Hell yeah, Tuna roxx.

To the bar junkies - If you wanna go broke on franken-bars go right ahead. :o
Atleast with MRP's you can manipulate the taste(I.E 50%cas,50%whey or additional supps) and/or absorbtion speed better than with a Bar where you're more or less stuck with whats within the wrapper. :)

Also MRP's dont have that slight "Why the hell did I eat that? It feels like I have a bowling ball in my stomach" kind of feeling you get from the bar's. But some people do feel fuller(which is sometimes better) with the bars so.. to each his own I guess. :o

Just ma 2. Peece

-AUIU

Holto
01-22-2004, 10:26 AM
almost every bar on the market has hydrogenated oils or trans fats

most bars are not healthy and shoudn't be eaten every day

Tri-O-Plex are about the only ones that are non toxic

Proteins Plus is another one

I make my own using protein powder, eggs, honey, butter and oats

totally natural no preservatives, cheaper and more filling than any bar on the market