PDA

View Full Version : you're probably tired of newbies and their cutting posts, but please critique my diet

bender73
01-21-2004, 10:27 AM
i am currently at 15% BF and want to get to 10% BF at least. i do cardio 3-4x/wk (usually 15 minutes stairmaster interval setting followed by 5-7 minutes HIIT). i lift 3x/wk.

currently 170lbs. (first attempt at cutting)

Meal 1 (AM)
1 quaker oatmeal bar
1 apple
Protein shake - 40g
Multivitamin
Flax seed oil - 1g

Meal 2 (snack)
1 quaker oatmeal bar or yogurt

Meal 3 (lunch)
Tuna sandwich on whole wheat or oat bread
(lettuce, tomato, American cheese)
Baked lays potato chips
1 apple

Meal 4 (snack or pre-workout)
1 energy bar

*Post-workout - Protein shake - 40g

Meal 5 (dinner)
Chicken breast (grilled) with brown rice
corn or carrots
Flax seed oil - 1g
1 piece of fruit

Meal 6 (snack before bed)
Yogurt or cottage cheese

150-175g of protein daily
2-3g of flax seed oil daily
1 multivitamin daily
*low carbs

raniali
01-21-2004, 11:59 AM
drop the bars - get some better sources of carbs (i.e., oatmeal). the bars are usually made with more sugar than is desirable on a cut -- esp if you are eating multiple ones during the day. you are also heavy on the fruits/yogurt. unless your yogurt is plain, then sugar is also added.

you did not mention your height - so we don't know what 170 lbs is in reference to, as one's own assessment of BF is usually off. additionally, what are the macro totals per meal, per day? you haven't listed totally calories even.

bender73
01-21-2004, 12:09 PM
thanks,

i am 5'8" 170lbs. with 15% BF

i have never done a cut before and i am trying to get a good meal plan that will let me cut down to ~10% BF without being starved or losing too much muscle.

it feels weird because i have never eaten so often yet been so hungry!!!

the more i read the posts here or see really defined guys the more i respect the hard work involved to keep definition as well as lower one's BF %.

the protein bars i eat are EAS low carb bars with 25mg of protein. should i substitute those bars with my quaker oatmeal bars instead for snacks?

raniali
01-21-2004, 12:15 PM
you should substitute real food for bars.
you are likely so hungry because every meal is high on simple sugars.
again - what are your macros?

AllUp
01-21-2004, 12:21 PM
Based on what I see currently maybe.. Ditch the chips and add a little more time your base cardio. maybe 10-15min?
Also If you're only doing stairmaster your body will adapt to doing these frequently and tweaks itself to burn less cal's. Throw your body something unexpected, like switching it up a bit with treadmill or elliptical every few days. This should keep the metabolism up there.
And like Ali noted you're having energy bar's. Unless you're working out Insanely that day you should probably ditch it, as all that sugar isn't needed for 20m cardio and most of it will simply end up as surplus sugar. Switch it with something like Whole-Wheat toast or tuna outta the can.(Drained and rinsed)

-AUIU

AllUp
01-21-2004, 12:26 PM
Basically, If it dont taste like a saw-dust bar, It aint good for ya. :P

VasDeferens
01-21-2004, 01:00 PM
25mg of protein

how cute.

I agree with the stupid and stupidette above.

bender73
01-21-2004, 02:15 PM
thanks

so, if i stop with the energy bars and substitute them with oatmeal then would this be a pretty good cutting diet?

i do switch up my cardio from stairmaster to the eliptical. i also do HIIT with my regular cardio...so that's 15 minutes on the stairmaster or eliptical followed directly by 7-10 minutes on the treadmill doing HIIT. its brutal!!!

DoUgL@S
01-21-2004, 02:21 PM
Those things have 25 g of protein and only have like 2 g of net carbs so I do not se him getting insulin spikes from the EAS low carb bars. They must be good for you because only the cookies and cream are palatable.

AllUp
01-21-2004, 02:37 PM
thanks
so, if i stop with the energy bars and substitute them with oatmeal then would this be a pretty good cutting diet?

The EAS bars arent that bad if you buy them in bulk. otherwise I'd stick w/tuna, oatmeal or WW toast. (more cost effective usually)
I had my friend grab me one on his break. He said the bar was $2.29 at the nearest gas station about 1/2 mile from work. They have 3 or4g sugar carbs. He went chocolate cause the guy at counter said blueberry ones taste like azz. It tasted decent I guess. Carbs shouldn't be a problem Sugar/Carb-wise, But still by no means is it worth $2.29 :P

thanks
i do switch up my cardio from stairmaster to the eliptical. i also do HIIT with my regular cardio...so that's 15 minutes on the stairmaster or eliptical followed directly by 7-10 minutes on the treadmill doing HIIT. its brutal!!!

Sounds good. If you plateau for too long raise the time and switch it up and you should be golden. Also consider the more your exercising, the higher your RMR when you sleep. :)

-AUIU

raniali
01-21-2004, 03:53 PM
does no one listen to me when i say this guy is eating too many simple sugars?
obviously, not. proceed with this diet then.

bender73
01-21-2004, 07:47 PM
thanks.

i am just so frustrated because i have worked so damn hard to go from a 36" waist to a 33" waist. i have been lifting for over a year hard and i can just start to see some good definition...especially my triceps. i know that if i can just get down to 10% BF then i would start to look really cut. its like this stubborn little layer of fat over my muscles that my body wants to keep. i weigh 170 lbs. but if you saw me you would guess i weigh around 150-160lbs. so i know that i have probably been on a bulk without even realizing it for over a year and if i can get to 10% BF i will look and feel so damn good (although i still feel good now).

my love-handles are going away and now i have this thin little tiny spare "bike" tire that just needs to go!!!

bender73
01-21-2004, 07:58 PM
does no one listen to me when i say this guy is eating too many simple sugars?
obviously, not. proceed with this diet then.

you sound kind of irritated. listen, we're all (well, me) not experts in bodybuilding/nutrition. i am trying to learn by reading and posting. i don't know what you mean by a "macro."

i am just trying real hard at age 30 to really get healthy and cut. i know a lot of you know a lot about this stuff but i don't. yes, i am a nurse practitioner in internal medicine (basically i do 99.9% of what doctors do including prescription writing, orders, etc.) but my nutritional education was pretty much based on the essentials (food pyramid) and for specific problematic patients with diseases like diabetes. there seems to be a big difference in what we healthcare providers consider a "good" diet and what weightlifters consider a cutting diet to be. i am trying to manage a good "cutting" diet without going into friggin ketoacidosis or becomming hypoglycemic. nor do i want to elevate my BUN/creatinine (renal insufficiency) with a protein over-load. moreover, i don't want to stress my cytochrome p-450 system with supplements that have not been studied by the FDA.

so, this is my dilemma. i want to get cut but not at my body's expense.

...and i want to stay sane!!!;)

Saint Patrick
01-21-2004, 08:17 PM
Macro = Macronutrient (i.e. Protein, carbs, or fat)

BTW I checked out your website. Your wife's hot.

bender73
01-21-2004, 08:29 PM
Macro = Macronutrient (i.e. Protein, carbs, or fat)

BTW I checked out your website. Your wife's hot.

:)

thanks and thanks!!!

raniali
01-22-2004, 11:06 AM
you sound kind of irritated. listen, we're all (well, me) not experts in bodybuilding/nutrition. i am trying to learn by reading and posting. i don't know what you mean by a "macro."

not irritated - it's not my diet. i made the comment earlier that you are probably hungry all the time because you include simple sugars with every meal. meal replacement bars don't really help the problem either. there are better sources for carbs which will help you keep hunger at bay and provide longer, lasting energy. i really think that you should try fitday.com or other journal to understand exactly how much of what you are eating each day (i.e., your macros).

btw - you guys make a great looking couple.

Saint Patrick
01-22-2004, 11:34 AM
not irritated - it's not my diet. i made the comment earlier that you are probably hungry all the time because you include simple sugars with every meal. meal replacement bars don't really help the problem either. there are better sources for carbs which will help you keep hunger at bay and provide longer, lasting energy. i really think that you should try fitday.com or other journal to understand exactly how much of what you are eating each day (i.e., your macros).

For god's sake take the woman's advice.

raniali
01-22-2004, 11:40 AM
:withstupi

bender73
01-23-2004, 02:20 PM
thanks!!!

i have tweaked my diet a little. the more i read the more my head spins though!!!

i don't mean to come across the wrong way its just that you guys/gals have a good handle on weight-lifting/nutritional regimens and i am just trying to put all th pieces together.

...and thanks for the comment raniali

Punky
01-23-2004, 08:58 PM
Just wanted to say "hi" and good luck on your cut! I'm in the medical profession too. It's a damn shame that we don't learn much more than that ridiculous food pyramid isn't it??? I'm sure being in internal mdeicine and seeing what years of unhealthy habits can do to your body is great motivation.

:) Stacy

bender73
01-23-2004, 10:36 PM
Just wanted to say "hi" and good luck on your cut! I'm in the medical profession too. It's a damn shame that we don't learn much more than that ridiculous food pyramid isn't it??? I'm sure being in internal mdeicine and seeing what years of unhealthy habits can do to your body is great motivation.

:) Stacy

hi

well, i seldom admit a person from the emergency room that doesn't have a history of either smoking, drinking, or high blood pressure. lots of overweight people. lots of diabetes. high cholesterol. if people just knew enough to take care of their bodies then they wouldn't be seeing me!!! grant it, a lot of things are genetic, but being 300+ pounds is not unless you have serious hypothyroidism or something...and even then that's too much weight.

bender73
01-23-2004, 10:39 PM
oh, and my biggest pet peeve when i was in outpatient medicine was when people wanted me to prescribe them a weight loss pill. i'd ask them if they watch what they eat...and usually get the "i try" response. if i asked them if they exercise, i usually got "no." i never prescibed them the pill. only once and that was to a woman that really needed it due to a comorbid condition.

Punky
01-24-2004, 12:16 AM
Forever in search of the quick fix!

Saint Patrick
01-24-2004, 12:22 AM
Yeah I want to eat pizza and ice cream and sit on my fat lazy ass and take a magic pill that will make me lose weight LOL

Max-Mex
01-24-2004, 08:14 AM
2 things:

Simple Sugars: Simpe sugars are easily digested which cause all sorts of havoc with insulin. The explanation can get a little complicated but the result is you remain hungry. Most bars have processed sugars (simple) that just aren't really going to work if you are trying to cut. 3 bars a day isn't horrible but they won't keep you full. Try substituting with something with more complex carbs (veggies). You'd be surprised how much you can eat and remain full, while keeping your calories low.

Macros: You need to breakdown how many grams you are getting of protein/carbs/fats. Also, it helps to count your calorie intake.

There are other things to take into consideration but those 2 things well help you understand better why you are still hungry and how to fix it.

Good luck.