PDA

View Full Version : Quick/convenient source for "good" fats??

Allyrulez
01-22-2004, 03:35 AM
Normally i get my fats from cooked salmon or something, but i dont have time for that...

I get most protein from tuna, and carbs wholewheat bread & fibre from veggies etc, but i cant get any quick fat sources, like when im rushed

So do you get fat bars or something?? Are peanut M&Ms good for this?? (the big packets)... I need those EFA i think ahhhhh

DelveyBoy
01-22-2004, 03:48 AM
peanuts,fish,natty peanut butter,olives,cook foods in vegetable oil instead of animal fat

The_Brick
01-22-2004, 04:41 AM
You need some real stats and goals before we (the knowledgeable) tell you (the malnourished) about things like flax seed oil capsules, cottage cheese and the biggest secret around olive oil.

:smoke:

drew
01-22-2004, 06:46 AM
unsalted, hulled sunflower seeds.

Holto
01-22-2004, 10:29 AM
it's ironic but when you cook food in oil that is high in polyunsaturates (EFA,& Omega Fats) the oil turns toxic (trans fats)

cooking in animal fat is a hell of a lot safer

(I know it sounds odd)

Holto
01-22-2004, 10:30 AM
keep in mind there are only two EFA's

the EPA and DHA in fish oil are not acutually essential and can be made by ALA (an EFA)

flax oil is 50% ALA and a hell of a lot cheaper than fish oils

also the ONLY other EFA is Linoleic Acid which is in every plant food on earth and nearly everyone is getting too much of it in contrast with ALA

geoffgarcia
01-22-2004, 12:29 PM
what are you looking to add?
mono or poly?

olive oil, grapeseed oil, flax oil, fish oil, hemp oil
just buy a bottle and start drinking...doesn't get much easier than that...
4-5 tbsp per day oughta be enough (obviously depending on the fat content of the rest of ur diet)

Allyrulez
01-22-2004, 12:40 PM
You need some real stats and goals before we (the knowledgeable) tell you (the malnourished) about things like flax seed oil capsules, cottage cheese and the biggest secret around olive oil.

:smoke:

Im experimenting bulking and cutting at the same time (mini bulks and mini cuts)

yeah i know my stats r crap but im a beginner!!!! Whaddya want from me

So youze reckon olive oil & stuff???? That makes sense... So i can just eat tuna, bread blah blah (very low fat at the end of the day) but add the olive oil and stuff for fat... Maybe soak the bread in it???

geoffgarcia
01-22-2004, 02:10 PM
no.
when he said give us your stats he meant what your proteins/carbs/fats/calorie averages are for a few weeks....without those stats we can't tell you how to modify your diet

Allyrulez
01-22-2004, 02:36 PM
I dont know about poly and mono (im new to the game)

Stats???? Uuuuuuuh

At the moment i cycle 3 days, following a full-body workout:-

Workout out day:-
I hit about 200grams of protein (tuna/salmon/chicken), about 4/6 slices of brown bread, and a bunch of veggetables, and sometimes the jumbo bags of peanut M&ms, and 2 or 3 bowls of cereal

1/2 of 2nd day:- Lotsa eating till about 2pm, basically half above

Remainder of cycle:- Very limited eating (2 or 3 cans of tuna & bread, vegetables) doing lots of cardio throughout

Agh im a bit all over the place, sorry :/ thanks for helping anyway

Spartacus
01-22-2004, 06:05 PM
uh, well the easiest way to get healthy fats is just to eat some nuts or peanut/almond butter. or olive oil on salad.

but you have to get fish or flax to get omega 3. fish or fish oil is better because ALA -> EPA & DHA is very inefficient. so the easy way is to take some fish oil caps to get your omega 3 requirement. then get the rest of yoru fat from other healthy sources.

Holto
01-23-2004, 10:47 AM
fish or fish oil is better because ALA -> EPA & DHA is very inefficient

where do you get the EFA's then ?

if you don't take flax where do you get the ALA ?

Spartacus
01-23-2004, 04:02 PM
as far as i known the only reason ALA is essential is because it is used to make epa/dha. i made a thread about this earlier http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=37127

Holto
01-23-2004, 07:49 PM
thanks

in Udo's book it shows several fats derived from ALA

the most important ones being EPA/DHA of course

I just don't see how we get appreciable amounts of ALA from anywhere and wonder how much we need those other PUFA's derived from ALA

Max-Mex
01-24-2004, 08:31 AM
Uhm, isn't he getting his EFA's from the tuna?

Reinier
01-24-2004, 08:34 AM
tuna is fat free

Holto
01-24-2004, 09:54 AM
Uhm, isn't he getting his EFA's from the tuna?

the healthy fats in Salmon and other cold water fish (EPA/DHA)

are not actually EFA's

they are non essential

HobbesAB
01-24-2004, 10:10 AM
go to Gordon Food services (GFS) or some other bulk food store and buy a box of Planter's Peanuts that are pre-packaged in single serving snack packs. A box of 24 costs $5. Quick and easy.

FYI,

Calories: 170
Total Fat: 15 g
Sat Fat: 2 g
Polyunsat: 4.5 g
Monounsat: 7 g
CHO: 5 g (2 g fiber)
Protein: 7 g