PDA

View Full Version : seeking advice from those who dieted sucessfully

steel
01-23-2004, 07:55 AM
Ok I will try to summarize my problem by stating my priorities.
1. To get down to a 32" waist without letting my chest get under 42"
2. After #1 is met to attempt to get my bench max as close to 400lbs. as possible.
3. Without screwing up #1 to get my chest between 46-48".
4. To keep my weight between 180-185 LBS.

In the past this is the closest I have come to those goals.

1. Waist down to 33"
2. Bench max at 340 lbs.
3. Chest at 44"
4. Weight right around 200 Lbs.

This is the sorry condition that I am in now.

1. Waist just under 35" (was approaching 36 a month ago when I realized I severly needed to diet)
2. Bench max, which was at 340 six months ago is unknown, I feel so much weaker because of my recent diet that I am guessing its as low as 270 LBS.
3. Chest is just over 43"
4. Weight is at 200 Lbs.

Steps I have taken to deal with my catastrophy.
1. Documenting every single calorie I take in on and excel sheet and maintaining a low carb diet equaling between 1600 and 1900 calories per day. (BTW I am 5'9")
2. Swimming 5 times a week for 1-2 hours, for a distance of 1.5-2 miles with 30 second breaks every 5-10 minutes.
3. Working out as best I can considering how weak I feel from the lack of calories.

That is my situation. Anybody who has been through something like this and knows a better way to deal with this situation. (Preferably somebody whose bench max is between 300-400 lbs.) Your advice would be appreciated
thanks
Bruno

AllUp
01-23-2004, 08:40 AM
Ok I will try to summarize my problem by stating my priorities.
1. To get down to a 32" waist without letting my chest get under 42"
2. After #1 is met to attempt to get my bench max as close to 400lbs. as possible.
3. Without screwing up #1 to get my chest between 46-48".
4. To keep my weight between 180-185 LBS.

In the past this is the closest I have come to those goals.

1. Waist down to 33"
2. Bench max at 340 lbs.
3. Chest at 44"
4. Weight right around 200 Lbs.

This is the sorry condition that I am in now.

1. Waist just under 35" (was approaching 36 a month ago when I realized I severly needed to diet)
2. Bench max, which was at 340 six months ago is unknown, I feel so much weaker because of my recent diet that I am guessing its as low as 270 LBS.
3. Chest is just over 43"
4. Weight is at 200 Lbs.

Steps I have taken to deal with my catastrophy.
1. Documenting every single calorie I take in on and excel sheet and maintaining a low carb diet equaling between 1600 and 1900 calories per day. (BTW I am 5'9")
2. Swimming 5 times a week for 1-2 hours, for a distance of 1.5-2 miles with 30 second breaks every 5-10 minutes.
3. Working out as best I can considering how weak I feel from the lack of calories.

That is my situation. Anybody who has been through something like this and knows a better way to deal with this situation. (Preferably somebody whose bench max is between 300-400 lbs.) Your advice would be appreciated
thanks
Bruno
Hmm. 32 waist? that should put you down to like 11%bf I think. Maybe@...190-195lbs?.
Also I thought I'd add that some Post-workout cardio may help. 20-40m.
If you list what your current diet is someone can most likely give you advice on more efficient diet modifications.

Also figured I'd note that I know a few swimmers and they ended up going to cardio for more leanness and muscle functionality. they still do it in theirspare time though, but according to them it wasnt as good as cardio as it relied more on endurance.

TC.
-AUIU

Severed Ties
01-23-2004, 10:35 AM
Your calories are way to low which is going to lead to muscle and strength loss.

ST

geoffgarcia
01-23-2004, 10:44 AM
ditto, your calories are way to low

drop your excel spread sheet, buy software for 30$ from www.dietorganizer.com
it was the best change I made. I used to do the spreadsheet thing myself, it was poo compared to dietorganizers tool.

IMHO your gonna wanna stop the swimming/cardio and concentrate more on your muscle building. All that swimming is just releasing a bunch of cortisol which is eating away at your muscles, plus your eating to few calories to be doing so much exercise
(IMHO) thats where you should start.

Try rotating workouts between HST, WBB#1
And if you do weight routines 3-5 days per week your getting most of the benefit you'd be getting as far as fat mobilization that you would expect from cardio without the calorie burning effects... (IMHO)

Saint Patrick
01-23-2004, 11:20 AM
Your calories are way to low which is going to lead to muscle and strength loss.

:withstupi

steel
01-23-2004, 05:11 PM
Hmm. 32 waist? that should put you down to like 11%bf I think. Maybe@...190-195lbs?.
Also I thought I'd add that some Post-workout cardio may help. 20-40m.
If you list what your current diet is someone can most likely give you advice on more efficient diet modifications.

Also figured I'd note that I know a few swimmers and they ended up going to cardio for more leanness and muscle functionality. they still do it in theirspare time though, but according to them it wasnt as good as cardio as it relied more on endurance.

TC.
-AUIU
First I would like to thank everybody for there input. And I thought I would post a section from my excell sheet of the last three days, with numbers.
20-Jan
Milk & Coffee 120
Pastry 250
cooked cup of rice 205
beans 210
tomato 25
banana 105
cooked cup of rice 205
beans 210
tomato 25
lettuce 40
carrots 35
catfish (.62 lb.) 470
butter 25
daily total 1925

21-Jan
Milk & Coffee 120
Pastry 250
burger bun 110
tomato 25
red meat (10oz) 562.5
2 hot dogs 220
rice (1 cup) 205
mozzerela (1 oz) 80
beans 210
lettuce 40
2 tomatoes 50
Daily total 1872.5
22-Jan
Milk & Coffee 120
Pastry 250
tomato 25
grnd turkey (8 oz.) 480
burger bun 180
ketchup 15
onions ( 5 oz ) 45
pasta (4 oz) 420
sauce (half cup) 60
shrimp (0.27 lbs) 44
tomato 25
esspresso 12
Daily total 1676

BTW. when I was in college I was weighing 185 and benching right about 300 with a 33" waist. At that point I had my bodyfat tested twice and it was 8% once and 6% another time. But right now the way things are I would be afraid to test it. Also I am not really a swimmer. I am just doing it now because I read in several places that it was the easiest ways to burn calories. I might start running some as well.
thanks

greekboy80
01-24-2004, 11:35 AM
OMG, wheres the protien???

AllUp
01-25-2004, 05:52 PM
OMG, wheres the protien???

Yeah you should take in some protein/MRP's to keep the protein up there.

steel
01-26-2004, 09:55 AM

Yeah you should take in some protein/MRP's to keep the protein up there.
As far as I can see I had meat almost every lunch and dinner. In egg whites you get 5 grams of protein per egg, in red meat its I believe 23 grams of protein per 3 oz serving, beans have some protein as well. I don't know for sure but I was under the impression that 100 grams of protein a day was a lot since the best meal replacement I had seen was with 60 grams of protein. Am I wrong?

chrisconnell85
01-26-2004, 10:08 AM
Am I wrong?

Yes.

1 Gram of protein per pound is essential.

AllUp
01-26-2004, 10:23 AM
1 Gram of protein per pound is essential.

Yep. Especially on a cut/diet where the main objective is to preserve muscle as you lose the fat. Also creatine may also be a decent investment on a cut if you have extra cash to burn.
Usual rule of thumb for protein is 1lb/Lb of bodyweight

Yeah, replace the red meat with a healthier alternative, like turkey, chicken, tuna or a MRP. Tuna is a fast effective filler if you need a quick protein fix.

Also maybe scrap the pastries? It's most likely providing an insulin spike and no nutritional benefits. If you're having the pastry in the morning with the coffee thats most likely the problem. Maybe replace it with something like Oatmeal or WW toast. The morning is a bad time for an insulin spike. :)

steel
01-27-2004, 07:47 AM
Yep. Especially on a cut/diet where the main objective is to preserve muscle as you lose the fat. Also creatine may also be a decent investment on a cut if you have extra cash to burn.
Usual rule of thumb for protein is 1lb/Lb of bodyweight

Yeah, replace the red meat with a healthier alternative, like turkey, chicken, tuna or a MRP. Tuna is a fast effective filler if you need a quick protein fix.

Also maybe scrap the pastries? It's most likely providing an insulin spike and no nutritional benefits. If you're having the pastry in the morning with the coffee thats most likely the problem. Maybe replace it with something like Oatmeal or WW toast. The morning is a bad time for an insulin spike. :)
thanks, as always I appreciate the input. I will modify my excell sheet to include grams of protein that I am taking in as well. I will take your suggestion and look to add more Tuna, catfish or chicken to my diet. I used to have like 3 pastries in the morning so I thought that since I cut it down to one that it was fine. But after I started counting calories, I agree it does seem like a waist of 250 calories.
thanks again

AllUp
01-28-2004, 08:03 AM
Np. Hope you meet your goals.
Tc.