PDA

View Full Version : Lose weight, and get stronger at same time?

Shay
09-22-2001, 01:05 PM
I posted here a while ago and someone said that if you are weight training you cannot lose weight... I don't care if my muscles get bigger at this point I just want to get stronger. Is it possible to get stronger while losing weight at the same time? I am 200 pounds and 5'10 and want to drop to 150-165...

Shay
09-22-2001, 01:26 PM
Ok reading other posts I have another question... I have a crapload of bf... Like 25%!!! If I worked out 1 hour every other day with weights, and jogged/walked 2 1/2 miles every other day, and did 250 crunches/day would I be able to drop to 165 in three months and actually look somewhat not fat? I don't look terribly fat but I do look big... Let me know, thanks.

syntekz
09-22-2001, 02:31 PM
I think you could lose weight and not look fat; but dropping down to 165 would be hard in 3 months. If you're planning on keeping strength and building muscle.

250 crunches; you really don't need to do that. Just train them like you train other muscles. Once or twice a week and sets of 10 - 15 or so.

Crunches don't make your stomach smaller like a lot of people believe. It might get it tighter, but if you have a lot of fat around your midsection I don't think it'd help. Diet and exercise is what's going to make your midsection smaller.

Celestial
09-22-2001, 05:35 PM
I lost 72 pounds in 9 months and gained muscle plus got stronger at the same time.

In the begining I did the same thing you are trying to do. To get it off fast. It doesn't work that way. The best thing to do is start a program that has consistancy and keep the consistancy going. Weight loss may come off on a few pounds a week, or sometimes none. But this is the most effective way for keepign the weight off. Do you belong to a gym? If you do maybe look into a consultation with a personal trainer. They can answer a lot of your questions:)

Shay
09-22-2001, 06:11 PM
Celestial,
Do you remember what you ate? What weight were you at? I don't need to lose 70 pounds or I'll look like one skinny mofo. I have quite a bit of muscle currently and I am gaining around 1/2 pound/week. I guess it is muscle mass because my arms have gotten harder and bigger. What was your diet like? Any junk food? What foods should I cut?

Celestial
09-23-2001, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Shay
Celestial,
Do you remember what you ate? What weight were you at? I don't need to lose 70 pounds or I'll look like one skinny mofo. I have quite a bit of muscle currently and I am gaining around 1/2 pound/week. I guess it is muscle mass because my arms have gotten harder and bigger. What was your diet like? Any junk food? What foods should I cut?
Ok here it goes...haha this is embarrassing...well I started out at 5'10 306 pounds 49% body fat (yeah I know gross).... I gained the weight after a bad car wreck. I started my fitness program January of this year. I am now 232 (lost 74lbs of body fat) I have gained muscle lots of it. My body fat now is currently 26-29%(grace area because could not get an accurate reading, due to the machine you cant wear metal and i have body jewlry so did it the old fashion pinch way!). I still have a ways to go. I figure at the rate I am going now I should be pretty close to done next spring. But it's a life long commitment! I didn't really have any sort of eating plan other than common sense and eating healthy. You learn as you go along, ask lots of questions etc.. try www.cyberdiet.com too. I would have oatmeal and a piece of fruit in the morn, protein and veggies for lunch and dinner and i kept up consistency with my wokring out etc. If I wanted a certain thing I had it..IN MODERATION and not all the time. But do give yourself some treats. Basically I cut out all fast food, and anything considered junk...its called junk food for a reason and your body doesnt need it! If you need somethign and your in a run try wendys. they have salads (be careful of the dressing) baked potatoe, and chilli...just be smart in your choices! Hoep this helps!

body
09-23-2001, 04:30 PM
if your loosing 50 pounds i doubt you will get stronger.
however if your a novice then its more likely to be possible. especially as your technique and nueral adaptions will allow you to get stronger even though no hypertrophy may be taking place.

but the main reaosn why it will be hard to get stronger is as your body to lose weight will use up its fuel storage of glycogen. this will cause you to loose strength. also catabolism of the muscle will take place as well as the body will be preparing its elf for starvation and muscle is not a optimal thing to have if starving. though as above your technique and neural adaptions may increase your lifting more than the negatives of loosing weight side. though if been training for a year or so this is less likely.

Taras
09-23-2001, 07:37 PM
Shay,

Since you're a relative beginner, I don't see any reason why you can't lose fat and at the same time gain muscle size and strength. Basically, you have to cut down on calories to lose fat but be sure you're getting enough protein. Aim for 1 gram per lb of bodyweight. Also, its probably better to eat 5-7 smaller meals per day than the usual 3 large meals. Don't get too concerned about what your body weight is doing. If you're losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time, the mirror is a better way to judge your progress.

Shay
09-23-2001, 08:18 PM
Taras, what do you suggest my calorie intake be a day? Right now I set it to like 3,000... I weigh 200 pounds. This is my diet

Breakfast:
Raisin Bran Crunch - 2 servings = 518 calories
2 cups of 2% milk - 280 calories

Lunch:
Small Baked Potato with butter - 205 calories
Chicken Sandwich - 430 calories
cup of whole milk - 160 calories

Dinner:
Steak, chicken, whatever, and potatoes - 550 calories

Beverages:
10 glasses of water/day - 0 calories
Light Lemonade (3 glasses) - 12 calories
Cup of 2% milk - 140 calories

Snacks:
Banana - 100 cals
Carrot - 30 cals
Salad + dressing - 200 cals
Cheese cubes - 150 cals

Should I decrease food intake? In the morning I do 5 mins of jump rope and 100 crunches, and stretches.
M/W/F I weight traing an hour after lunch for an hour
T/T I run 1 mile 1 hour after lunch
At 4:30-5:30 everyday I stretch, walk/jog 2 miles, 150 crunches.
Saturday and Sunday I walk/jog 2 miles, do 250 cunches, and stretch.

PowerManDL
09-23-2001, 08:22 PM
I'd eliminate the lemonade, the banana, and the cheese cubes. All are "fat protagonists," to coin a term.

Shay
09-23-2001, 08:29 PM
The lemonade has no fat, no carbs, and no protein, it's like diet coke, but lemonade... What fruit do I replace for a banana that's good to have?

PowerManDL
09-23-2001, 08:41 PM
No fat, protein, or carbs? If its an artificial sweetener its ok.

Almost any northern-hemisphere fruit is ok, but the tropical stuff is usually loaded with high-GI carbs. Try an apple or an orange.

About the only cheese that's good is cottage, parmesan, or mozzarella.

Wizard
09-24-2001, 05:47 AM
Low fat cottage is ace!

Mozzarella contains a lil bit too fat.(bout 20%)

Parmazan is too fatty for ya.

Shay
09-24-2001, 01:35 PM
Uhm... WTF! I just checked my weight and I am at 217... I went up 15 pounds in a day... Why?... I just weight lifted and I drank 6 glasses of water (3 pounds), and an hour before that I ate a moderate lunch with 16 ounces of milk... Why the hell did I just gain 15 pounds?

<edit>I just peeded three times too</edit>
Haha, I said peed-ed

Tryska
09-24-2001, 01:37 PM
is this the same scale you weighed yourself on last time?

Shay
09-24-2001, 01:42 PM
Yes, I am as shocked as you...

Tryska
09-24-2001, 01:44 PM
well the working out would add some water weight, as would the extra water you drank...what did you eat for your "moderate lunch"?

also, is this the same time you weigh yourself each time? Weighing first thing in the morning will usually give you a lighter weight, then weighing lwater on in the day.

Shay
09-24-2001, 01:53 PM
I usually weight at the morning or at nite. For lunch I had:
2 whole milk cartons (12 ounces each)
Chicken Sandwich with 1 packet of mayo and 3 packets of ketchup.
Small baked potato with butter...
That was maybe 800-900 cals... Including the milk.

Shay
09-24-2001, 01:53 PM
Oh and for breaskfast I was in a rush so all I had was a glass of milk.

Tryska
09-24-2001, 02:04 PM
hmmm...perhaps is a carb/lactose bloat?

from now on i would pick one specific morning of the week for when to weigh yourself, and ignore the scale all other times.

Celestial
09-24-2001, 05:52 PM
Dont live by the scale! Go by how you feel, look and how things fit!

Taras
09-24-2001, 07:14 PM
Shay,

Let me give you some general recommendations. For a reasonably good overview on how to come up with a general dietary strategy for your goals, read the article "Sport Specific Nutrition" by Susan Kleiner. You can find it in the archives at www.physicalmag.com. Scroll down to "Diet" in the "find" box, and you'll see it listed there. Don't worry about gaining 15 lbs in one day. It can't be done, unless your kidneys shut down or you're in heart failure or something rather dire like that. I would guess that the scale was off. Looking at your diet, I think you're getting too many empty calories and not enough protein. Switch to skim or 1% fat milk. Go easy on cheese, except for lowfat cheese, like lowfat cottage cheese, which is a great source of protein. Go easy on things like mayonaise, salad dressings, and butter, but don't try to eliminate fat. Some healthy sources of fat are olive, canola or flaxseed oil, and fish, like salmon or mackerel. If you're going to a fast food place, stick with things like grilled chicken or Wendy's chili, which is actually pretty healthy.

Garza
09-28-2001, 11:03 AM
Get some more knowledge abotu bodybuilding and nutrition in general. Good job on losing all that weight, I envy you (although I have less to lose). I would take a weight loss energy supplement like hydroxycut or whatever, along with a good diet and exercise regimen. Forget the hype, just do the basics.