PDA

View Full Version : Body temp and metabolism

mailman21108
01-24-2004, 06:47 AM
Ive heard it said that higher body temp creates a higher metobolic rate. Is this true? If so when im at work I can choose how to dress. A t shirt would be comfortably cool. A sweat shirt would be comfortably warm. Would my metabolism be higher if I dressed on the warmer side?

Reinier
01-24-2004, 07:56 AM
No it would not. in fact dressing colder would increase your metabolism (though I am not sure how significant it would be) because then your body will have to burn more calories to stay warm

Podium Kreatin
01-24-2004, 10:29 AM
no matter how much or how little you wear, u're temperature will be kept at constant (we're mammals for crying out loud!). if you wear more, you're metabolism may actually SLOW DOWN! this is b/c ur body, in hot weather, will try to make you burn less energy, and therefore, release less heat. this is why when u drive in a hot day, u feel kinda sleepy (the dmv manual recommends taking a nap on the emergency lane of the freeway). in a cold day, u prolly remember shivering. shivering does very little work, but increases metabolic rate for the purpose of releasing heat.

mythkillers:
1)i think this myth is from the weight loss attributed by sweating. some ppl think they lose fat when they go into saunas and stuff, but in fact, they're losing water.
2) we are homeotherms, so if you change your "body temperature" you can get sick real bad. waht you can do is change your "internal climate" by wearing clothes, or using a fan or airconditioning. internal climate is the air that surrounds your body