PDA

View Full Version : Impact Carbs: WTF?

Max-Mex
01-24-2004, 08:23 AM
I was hungry the other day and I didn't have time to make or get something healthy enough, so I settled on a Powerbar ProteinPlus from the convience store. I knew the sugar content would be high but it was better than not eating at all. I noticed on back of the bar it said 30g of carbs, but on the fron it said 2 Impact carbs. Here's the carb info

Total Carbs: 30g
Dietary fiber: 2g
Sugars: 1
Sugar alcohol: 26g

The math they used to get 2 carbs is pretty obvious:

30-2(fiber)-26(sugar alcohol)= 2g carbs. There was also this little piece of info: *Fiber and sugar alcohol have a minimal effect on blood sugar. For those watching their carb intake, count only 2 grams.

I had really no idea what to think about this. Sounds like a croc, so when I entered it in my log, I ignored the impact carbs and used the total carbs. Is this some marketing ploy to trick people into thinking this bar is low carb?

HobbesAB
01-24-2004, 10:18 AM
Sugar alcohols aren't readily absorbed by the body so that is why they are not considered "impact carbs" . WARNING: They make you go #2 really bad if taken in too large quantities. impact varies person to person. Test your tolerance at home.

Podium Kreatin
01-24-2004, 10:22 AM
"impact" means what has effect. it has some truth to it, b/c some ppl oversimplify things, such as "all fat is bad" and "low carb diets mean low carbs!"
some fats are good for u, of course. and carbohydrates such as dietary fiber (cellulose is made of glucose monomers) counts as the total carbs, but they aren't nutritious.

harryhoudini66
01-24-2004, 04:03 PM
:withstupi
Sugar alcohols aren't readily absorbed by the body so that is why they are not considered "impact carbs" . WARNING: They make you go #2 really bad if taken in too large quantities. impact varies person to person. Test your tolerance at home.

Scott S
01-24-2004, 09:52 PM
Impact carbs are what you'd count toward your totals. Fiber and sugar alcohols produce heat when burned, but can't be used for energy, so they won't stimulate insulin or turn into body fat.

gains2385
08-02-2006, 09:09 AM
Impact carbs are what you'd count toward your totals. Fiber and sugar alcohols produce heat when burned, but can't be used for energy, so they won't stimulate insulin or turn into body fat.
bump.

Can anyone else confirm this? This is what I got from the search and would just like to make sure this is correct. The info is a little old, but that might not matter. Thanks.

Edit: This is a good read on Sugar Alcohols (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_alcohols), but I am still wondering if it is true in that it wont spike insulin and cause you to store fat.

ddegroff
08-02-2006, 10:24 AM
Sugar Alcohols do spike insulin, but just a little bit.

justagirrl
08-07-2006, 08:47 AM
They count (http://www.mendosa.com/netcarbs.htm) more than you think. ;)

Tsuki No Neko
08-07-2006, 09:38 AM
The thing I was always curious about was counting the carbs in your Fitday when what your eating proclaims info about net carbs and the like. For example, I've got some of that Dreamsfield "low carb" pasta. Back of box says Total Carbs is something like 42, but then all over the place the box proclaims "5 NET CARBS ONLY!" Which do you count in Fitday? The total, right?

malkore
08-07-2006, 09:52 AM
Tsuki, is that pasta really high fiber? if so, put in the 42g of carbs, and the fiber count.
Fitday can be picky but there should be a way to put it in and make the totals turn out right enough.

gains2385
08-07-2006, 11:06 AM
The thing I was always curious about was counting the carbs in your Fitday when what your eating proclaims info about net carbs and the like. For example, I've got some of that Dreamsfield "low carb" pasta. Back of box says Total Carbs is something like 42, but then all over the place the box proclaims "5 NET CARBS ONLY!" Which do you count in Fitday? The total, right?
It probably has a lot of fiber right? It also probably has Sugar Alcohols in it right? Well, what I do (I love to eat the Snickers Low Carb bars) when something says that is take away the fiber, because I dont think it causes an insulin spike, and figure out the amount of calories that the sugar alcohol has. I read to find out what type of Sugar Alcohol it is, then add up the calories wth the SA's included. I use the table on Wikipedia, the link in my first post on this page, to get the calories of the SA's.

If this doesn't make sense it is because I am brain dead feeling right now...

ShockBoxer
08-07-2006, 11:44 AM
I count them all. If you're dieting it's better to overestimate than underestimate.