PDA

View Full Version : back squat help

biggimp
01-25-2004, 01:05 AM
i just started squatting 3 weeks ago, and i maxed this last week. 315 lbs 3 times, or 343 lbs. my question is, even though i wore a belt, my lower back is very sore, even 5 days later. i stretch thoroughly, so i know that wasnt it. i was just really surprised, my legs felt normal, but my back killed. my friends say its my stance, that i didnt stick my chest out enough. are they right or does this always happen when you begin squatting heavily?

Saint Patrick
01-25-2004, 01:10 AM
How deep are you going on those squats?

Yeah stick your chest out a little and DON'T round your back.

biggimp
01-25-2004, 01:33 AM
i go until my thighs are parallel to the ground. i dont remember if i rounded my back or not, but i will remember not to for future lifting. thanks.

USC Ed
01-25-2004, 04:07 AM
Put your feet as yar froward as you can to get a good base. Then keep your back straight when you go down. Go just past parallel.

drew
01-25-2004, 12:59 PM
don't sit down. sit back. and DON'T lean forward. The bar should move in a straight line up and down. If your bending over, you're doing it wrong and the result will be a sore, or worse an injured, lower back.

Budiak
01-25-2004, 05:53 PM
Take in a deep breath and push your belly out against that belt, and flex the abs. Arch your back, dont round it, and keep it that way through the entire movement. Breath in deep, not into your chest. The point is to build enough hydrostatic pressure in your trunk as possible as to support the weight you're lifting.

I think what may have happened is that your back rounded a bit during the lift, and your erectors were placed under serious undue stress while trying to stabilize the weight. Your friends say that your chest wasnt out enough, which was probably a sign of your back rounding out.

Also, squats do work the back as a stabilizer...mine is usually a tiny bit sore for a little while afterwards, but not a week.

IceRgrrl
02-03-2004, 06:48 AM
Play with the width of your stance a bit...sometimes a wider stance will help you stay more upright and take some stress off your lower back. Also, make sure that your shoulders and hips come up out of the bottom of the lift at the same time. If your hips start to come up before your shoulders, then you are definitely transferring a lot of the stress to your lower back and taking it off of your legs.

Alex.V
02-04-2004, 05:28 PM
I'd echo what these folks said... I'd also caution you against hitting 300+ on your third week of squatting. I wouldn't trust anybody, no matter how strong already, to start hitting a compound lift with potential for serious f*ckups with 3 plates plus, unless you had somebody right next to you every time who knew what was going on. It takes a while to get the form down, find your stance, and troubleshoot. If you start trying to hit big weight and blast yourself so early, you might wind up getting some terrible habits and possibly throwing something out. Back down on the weight, and take some of those suggestions above.

biggimp
02-10-2004, 05:45 PM
just to let everybody know you were all right.
i did 290x10 last friday and my back was sore for like 8 hours. after that it was fine. i feel so good squatting so much!

drew
02-11-2004, 07:57 AM
Awesome! How do the legs feel?

biggimp
02-11-2004, 10:55 AM
legs felt so good! they were sore for 3 days, but in a very good way... im so happy that i can rip so much muscle each workout.

c.u.fan
02-13-2004, 01:24 PM
The only part I disagree with is forward lean. Of couse you don't want too much, but for lifters with longer legs, some is neccesary. Look at Steve Coggins' big squat a little while back. He had a bit of forward lean. Some people find a better groove that way. What Belial said is especially true. Flaws in your form now will really show up later.

Adam
02-13-2004, 03:35 PM
I agree with Cufan. Lean is okay as long as your back doesn't round.

biggimp
02-13-2004, 03:51 PM
i dont like leaning too far forward though, and my legs are fairly long.
its just my experience that i cant get down as far (safely) while leaning forward.