PDA

View Full Version : Sodium while cutting?

Manofmystery2k2
01-25-2004, 10:48 PM
I love pickles. I am cutting right now, so I like to eat them whenever I get hungry out of nowhere. I am aware of the high sodium content in them, and thats where my question stems from. Is sodium going to affect my cut much?
The package says 270mg of sodium per pickle, I often eat 3-4 at a time because they only have 5 calories each.

Saint Patrick
01-25-2004, 10:52 PM
Don't worry about it. Unless you're prepping for a show, it's nothing to be concerned with.

With such cutting joys like Macronutrient ratios, caloric intake and cardio, Sodium intake should be the last of your worries.

*eats a pickle*

Manofmystery2k2
01-25-2004, 10:58 PM
Ahhhhh that makes me happy, as I just finished scarfing down 4 pickles lol.

Scott S
01-26-2004, 12:42 AM
The sodium will make you hold a little extra water, making you weigh more than you would otherwise. As long as you keep that in mind, you'll be fine.

JuniorMint6669
01-26-2004, 01:22 AM
The sodium will make you hold a little extra water, making you weigh more than you would otherwise. As long as you keep that in mind, you'll be fine.

I agree, and the extra water retention is probably good to preserve LBM.

Behemoth
01-26-2004, 01:05 PM
I agree, and the extra water retention is probably good to preserve LBM.

How does retaining water help preserve LBM?

AllUp
01-26-2004, 01:13 PM
Your body will hold onto it longer and is less likely to pee it out. I would think anyway..
Ok, I'll be honest. I really have no clue. :P

JuniorMint6669
01-26-2004, 03:37 PM

My thinking is water retention = anabolic environmnet = increased LBM preservation.

Behemoth
01-26-2004, 04:26 PM
Is that just your thinking or is that a fact?

JuniorMint6669
01-26-2004, 04:37 PM
Which part are you questioning? Water being relevant in the anabolic process? Sodium being involved in the transport of nutrients to the muscle? Both are true.

ok, edited out, was just curious

Behemoth
01-26-2004, 04:45 PM
I'm not angry, my last post wasn't angry at all. I was simply questioning "My thinking is water retention = anabolic environmnet = increased LBM preservation.". That didn't seem like you knew the answer to me but were speculating. That's why I asked "Is that just your thinking or is that a fact?".

JuniorMint6669
01-26-2004, 04:51 PM
i have read that before, but do not have studies to back it up. it makes sense to me, simply by putting 2 and 2 together.

I would not recommend gorging on sodium, but i would not be overly worried about it either.

Please note, i edited my previous post.

Podium Kreatin
01-27-2004, 03:46 PM
sodium does suck water by osmosis, but the way it can help is that sodium transports nutrients from the intestines into the blood. however, if you don't have enough potassium, then you will have a surplus of sodium, which can make you dehydrated rather than retain water in the muscles.

also, retention of water isn't necessarily good; the water retention is used to dilute the sodium, so, that retained water is "on hold"

from what i've read, its good to have sodium as long as you take it w/ potassium. however, if you eat too many salty foods, then u can have blood pressure problems when you get older, cuz sodium is much harder to lose than potassium (when you sweat and urinate, you lose potassium, but little sodium)

tjwes
01-27-2004, 10:26 PM
To get rid of the excess sodium just drink more water.Copious amounts of water will help flush out excess water also.As far as an anabolic state being influenced by sodium ,forget it.Totally ridiculous and irrelevant .

beachmuscles
01-29-2004, 03:48 PM
Im just wondering, Im trying to gain some lean muscle mass right now and I have been eating alot of foods loaded with sodium such as chicken sub at subway, and all kinds of microwavable chicken. How does the sodium affect me? Does it affect the way my muscles look? Less ripped? More blotted?

Behemoth
01-29-2004, 04:41 PM
A sudden change in sodium intake will result in water retention.

beachmuscles
01-29-2004, 04:41 PM
Which means?