PDA

View Full Version : Best Way Of Bulking Without Gaining Much Fat?

Future Wrestler
01-26-2004, 05:46 PM
I was wondering what's the best way to gain muscle, without taking in much fat. See over the summer in 2003 I lost 95 pounds in 3 months, thanks to a very stricted diet with lots of cardio. I was 245 now I'm around 150 & have kept the weight off, may have gained a lil like 155 cause I stopped cardio last august due to weather changes outside.

Before:

http://members.cox.net/futurewrestler/Jason2.jpg

After:

http://members.cox.net/futurewrestler/Picture%209.jpg

I got my license a month ago & will be getting a suv soon. So I'll be going to the gym as much as possible, working around my job schedule. I want to get about 230 solid muscle, if any of you have seen chris jericho, that's what I'm looking for. I'm 16 almost 17 years old a Junior in High School & after I finish high school I wanted to pursue professional wrestling. So I want to try to get from 150-230 in about a year & a half or 2 years.

Here's A Picture Of Chris Jericho:

http://members.cox.net/futurewrestler/jericho%20b7.gif

So basicly what would be the best things to eat without putting much fat on & how should I do my meal set up for my goal. Right Now I only take in about 1300 calories sometimes hire up. I'm just trying to keep my weight down since I ain't doing cardio, so I don't eat too much. I usually have boneless chicken breast on the grill, a package of graham crackers with a glass of 2 % milk. And sometimes I'll have a couple pretzels or a orange. How should I start off my bulking diet? Thanks for reading & any help you guys can give me!!

Saint Patrick
01-26-2004, 07:04 PM
1300 Calories is nothing dude. You need to at least double that if you want to gain any muscle.

Congrats on the weight loss, and good luck w/ the wrestling career. You really ought to choose someone else to look up to though. Jericho's a puss.

Welcome to the site.

JeffWillConquer
01-26-2004, 07:11 PM
If you want to stay away from the fat gain it's going to have to be a long, moderated process. Take your 1300 cals and add about 200 a week until you start gaining weight. When you start gaining a pound a week stop raising the calories and stay with what you're at until you stop gaining. Hit the search engine for "grocery list" and you should find some nice choices. Might be wise to cut out the cardio, but that's up to you. Also, get your routine in check and stick to compound movements. Jericho would be a good goal to start with, cause he isn't too big and his bodyfat isn't low. Why not strive for somethin like Bastista? That dude is huge. PM me if you have any questions. Good luck becoming a wrestler, I know a few other people who are aspiring pro wrestlers too.

Future Wrestler
01-28-2004, 09:36 AM
How many calories off my bulking should be proteins, complex carbs, fibrous carbs, healthy fats, dairy & eggs, condiments & spices, simple carbs? Btw I got a list for proteins, complex, fibrous, healthy fats & dairy, but what are some simple carbs? Sorry I'm new to the bulking stuff & just am trying to prepare a daily eating list for when I start my bulking. So every week add 200 morew calories o I'd start off 1,600 then next week would be 1,900? And when I start noticing my weight move up about a pound stay at that calorie amount every week?

Wu36
01-28-2004, 09:48 AM
Just get enough protein (most people like 1g/lb at least) and a good amount of EFAs along with some complex carbs and adjust from there.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=26368&highlight=grocery+list
the grocery list thread.

Holto
01-28-2004, 09:49 AM
Take your 1300 cals and add about 200 a week until you start gaining weight

this is how it's done

as for breakwdown of nutrients I recommend

40% Carbs, 30% Protein, 30% Fat

try to make all the carbs complex carbs (except pre/post workout)

don't worry about a % of fibrous/starchy, it's hard enough to get them all complex

simple carbs for post w/o would be dextrose,maltodextrin OR as a substitute grape juice

try to make all the fat healthy fat

polyunsaturates are the types of fat you require

monosaturates are beneficial in some instances but not necessary

saturated fat's for the most part are less healthy (exceptions being Lauric Acid in coconnut etc...)

I really recommend some flax oil...almost everywhere you look it's cheap and it's organic

fish oil is great but mercury,pcb's and dioxin are not

I've yet to see a fish oil state that it's moleculary distilled and free of toxins

Future Wrestler
01-28-2004, 12:26 PM
Cool so how should I do my daily meal set up, like how many times should I eat every hour?

Behemoth
01-28-2004, 02:02 PM
Divide your calories among 6 meals or so, with protein, carbs, and fat in each meal. And drink LOTS of water at every meal and in between every meal.

Future Wrestler
01-28-2004, 04:53 PM
How's This Look...

6 Am: 4 egg white's & 1 glass of 2 % milk
11 AM: 2 1/5 servings of tuna
2 PM: oatmeal old fashion
4 PM: Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast on the grill nothing added
6 PM: Brown Rice Cooked
8 PM: 2 pieces of whole wheat bread, 1 banana & 1 glass of oranges juice

Total Cals: 1547
Protein Cals: 176 g
Fat Cals: 175 g

Does that look good...? I know about water, I drink spring water all the time. Which I'll drink all day, should I have any whey protein shakes or anything. Or just stick with what I got for now while working out?

Behemoth
01-28-2004, 05:27 PM
It would be a lot better if you didn't eat one meal of protein, then one carbs then one protein etc. It's a lot better to get all 3 macronutrients in each sitting.

Future Wrestler
01-28-2004, 05:41 PM
It would be a lot better if you didn't eat one meal of protein, then one carbs then one protein etc. It's a lot better to get all 3 macronutrients in each sitting.

Well can you give me a insight, of how you'd do the day in that time frame?

all 3 macronutrients? I'm lil confused if I have something with lots of carbs along with a protein thing, what would be the 3rd, plus wouldn't I be full or over doing 1 sitting?

Future Wrestler
01-28-2004, 07:40 PM
Well can you give me a insight, of how you'd do the day in that time frame?

all 3 macronutrients? I'm lil confused if I have something with lots of carbs along with a protein thing, what would be the 3rd, plus wouldn't I be full or over doing 1 sitting?

My bad when I used fitday.com it came out like this

source grams cals %total
Total: 1749
Fat: 26 235 14%
Sat: 10 90 5%
Poly: 5 42 3%
Mono: 7 62 4%
Carbs: 196 715 43%
Fiber: 17 0 0%
Protein: 180 721 43%
Alcohol: 0 0 0%

So basicly

Protein = 43 %

Carbs = 43 %

Fat= 14%

Wouldn't that be better then holto's 40% carbs, 30% protein & 30 % Fat, since I'd be consuming less fat? Anyway behemoth if you could respond to the above post, thanks. Should I take protein shakes, on top of this meal plan?

Holto
01-28-2004, 09:55 PM
fat is an important nutrient

test levels drop when fat goes below 20%

out of fat,carbs and protein carbs are the only one you can live without

once you decide on ratios you can use them to design meals

as behemoth said each meal should be 40-30-30 (or whatever you choose)

divide total cals by # of meals and then work out the ratios

each meal will never be perfect just make sure it adds up at the end of the day

Future Wrestler
01-29-2004, 04:28 AM

So basicly for each meal have a carb, a fat & a protein food? Btw I was wondering if I should take protein shakes or any supplements?

Reinier
01-29-2004, 05:31 AM
Keyword to gaiing weight without fat is slowly

Future Wrestler
01-29-2004, 12:20 PM
How's this look, I did this in school today....

6 AM: 4 egg whites, 2 pieces of whole wheat bread, natural style peanut butter & 1 glass of orange juice

9 AM: Protein Candy Bar

11 AM: 2 1/2 servings of tuna, peanuts & white rice

2 PM: Oat Meal old fashion, 1 piece of whole wheat bread, 1 banana

4 PM: boneless, skinless chicken breast on the grill, 1 big potatoe, 1 piece of whole wheat bread with natural style peanut butter

5:30 PM: Brown Rice & Peanuts

6 PM: *Preworkout* Protein Shake

9 PM: *Postworkout* Protein Shake

9:30 PM: Oat Bran Cereal used with 2 % milk....

hows that look? some of the foods I cant find on fitday like natural style peanut butter, so I cant taily the stats fully...

geoffgarcia
01-29-2004, 12:50 PM
I lost 95 pounds in 3 months
I hope you've learned from this mistake.... :whip:

Keyword to gaiing weight without fat is slowly
ditto

1300 Calories is nothing dude. You need to at least double that if you want to gain any muscle.
IMHO you need to triple it...

My bad when I used fitday.com it came out like this
Total: 1749
Fat: 26 235 14%
Sat: 10 90 5%
Poly: 5 42 3%
Mono: 7 62 4%
Carbs: 196 715 43%
Protein: 180 721 43%

bro you need to triple your fat intake...but keep that sat down.
Start spooning in some oils....your calories are to low for an inactive person, if your doing any kinda exercise then your just beating up your body...
Personally I prefer dietorganizer.com to fitday

welcome to the site...

Future Wrestler
01-29-2004, 01:06 PM
I hope you've learned from this mistake.... :whip:

ditto

IMHO you need to triple it...

bro you need to triple your fat intake...but keep that sat down.
Start spooning in some oils....your calories are to low for an inactive person, if your doing any kinda exercise then your just beating up your body...
Personally I prefer dietorganizer.com to fitday

welcome to the site...

Thanks for the welcome, but I'm sort of confused. I mean I know you guys want me to make the total amount of calories = 40 % carbs, 30 % fats & 30 % proteins. I'm finding it hard to get fat calories especially when I cant find certain items on fitday..... I'll try getting that dietorganizer, but hows my rescent meal plan I posted look too you guys?

Future Wrestler
01-29-2004, 01:11 PM
I tried getting the diet organizer & it says zip file is damaged, truncated, or has been changed sinc eit was created. If you downloaded this file, try downloading again. I even tried redownloading and got the same message :/

geoffgarcia
01-29-2004, 01:12 PM
I mean I know you guys want me to make the total amount of calories = 40 % carbs, 30 % fats & 30 % proteins.
40/30/30 is just a suggestion
In my experience I aim for 1-1.5g of protein per lb of bodyweight
.6g of fat per lb of bodyweight
the rest in carbs
regardless of if I'm on a cut of bulk

I'm finding it hard to get fat calories
spoon + bottle of your choice of oils, depending on what you need (fish, olive, grapeseed, flax, hemp, etc...) 1tbsp = roughly 14g

especially when I cant find certain items on fitday..... I'll try getting that dietorganizer, but hows my rescent meal plan I posted look too you guys?
you shouldn't rely on the preprogrammed food breakdowns as they aren't very accurate. looking at a meal plan tells us nothing.... you need to post your weekly averages/trends in weight/bf/calories/proteins/carbs/fats if you want a valid opinion

Future Wrestler
01-29-2004, 01:17 PM
you shouldn't rely on the preprogrammed food breakdowns as they aren't very accurate. looking at a meal plan tells us nothing.... you need to post your weekly averages/trends in weight/bf/calories/proteins/carbs/fats if you want a valid opinion

Well I'm 150 & 5'11, how do you figure out body fat %?

Future Wrestler
01-29-2004, 01:21 PM

After I divide total calories by the amount of meals, how would I figure out the rest?

ericg
01-29-2004, 02:13 PM
Ok, first thing i would shoot for is to eat about 2200 calories (adjust later if need be). Now if you want the 40%protein 30%carb 30%fat ratio. It would look like this:

40% of 2200 is 880calories. Since each gram of protein has 4 calories you divide that number by 4, which would come out to be 220grams of protein for the day.

30% of 2200 is 660calories. Carbos is the same as protein in which each gram has 4 calories so again you divide the 660 by 4 and get: 165g carbohydrates.

again 30% of 2200 is 660calories, but each gram of fat has 9 calories so you divide by 9 and get about 74g of fat.

So far we have:
protein - 220g - 880calories 40%
carbos - 165g - 660calories 30%
fat - 74g - ~660calories 30%

Now you want to split those evenly through each meal of the day. You should try and eat every 3 hours, so lets assume that you eat 6 times per day. You then divide all the numbers above by 6. So now each meal will consist of about 367cals, 37g of protein, 27.5g of carbos, and 12g of fat.

The next step is to find foods that fit this. Obviously its hard to eat the exact amount for each meal so just do the best you can. I like to start off by finding protein sources for each meal and calculating what you need for each meal (this is where a food counting book comes in handing). So just pick up some tuna, chicken, eggs, and meats. Then break down the amounts to fit what you need for each meal/day. Obviously the foods listed about may have other macronutrients (carbs, fats) so you need to account for those as well. Once you got the protein figured, do the same with carbos, and finally fats.

Keep this calorie intake for a week or two, make sure its consistent each day and track your progress (weight). Weigh yourself first thing in the morning (after you hit the head) on the same day each week. Make sure its before you drink or eat anything - i find this the best way to compare numbers from week to week. After a couple of weeks if you are gaining 1lb per week it is working. If for some reason you are losing then add 200 cals each day. If you are gaining more than an ideal amount then subtract 200cals per day.

good luck.

wrestlemaniac
01-29-2004, 09:37 PM
I don't have much to add about what you should do but I think you might find it interesting that Jericho himself does a bulk/cut cycle. You may have noticed he'll often have "love handles" that come and go. About a month ago (actually... probably longer) they were there but now he's got that then six pac look back again.