PDA

View Full Version : Competeing in Scottish Highland Games!

CannedHeat
01-26-2004, 11:02 PM
this summer I will be competeing in the Grandfather Mountain Highland Games. Im turning 18 in february and weighing in at about 180lbs right now.

heres a link to the type of events I will be doing. Go to the Offical rules link for descriptions of the events.

http://www.gmhg.org/wwwcgi/gmhgbuild.cgi?page=events&event=heavyathletics

I was wondering if anyone has competed in anything like this and if anyone has any pointers as to wich exercises I should be focusing on. I was thinking mainly squats and deads.

Tell me what you think! : ) Im very excited about doing this... may even have to buy a kilt!

Bruteman
01-27-2004, 06:49 AM
You might want to also work on an olympic type lift. Clean and Jerk or snatch, or if you arent' really comfortable doing those do a clean and press. These help with your explosiveness when you have to lift and throw stuff.

IceRgrrl
01-27-2004, 06:54 AM
I always thought those competitions were neat...a very different type of physical challenge. Good luck!

millertime
01-27-2004, 09:51 AM
Your link is broken.

You should practice the events list on the site. Buy 22, 28, and 56lb weights throw them round, while wearing a skirt.....I mean Kilt.

chris mason
01-27-2004, 11:07 AM
You can gain general bodily strength with weights, but to be truly good at specific events you must practice them.

Seanzilla from Monster Muscle should probably be able to spread some light on this subject.

CannedHeat
01-27-2004, 11:46 AM
Thanks everyone, I'm working on some olympic type lifts like the clean and jerk, good mornings, etc...

Keep the advice coming, and the link should work now. :)

stonetosser
12-01-2004, 07:32 PM
Canned Heat - I have been competing in the games for 7+ years. First of all gym strength isn't throwing strength. So practice practice practice. Having said that you gotta workout too............

Assuming you have a lot of base strength here are good things to work on.
Close grip snatches and good for the Caber,
Front squats, high pulls, push press and power cleans are all necessary for the weight throws, stone and Weight over the bar.

Overhead squats are must do's to build core and balance strength. Also plate twists to work your core to make it strong.

For event practice I always suggest splitting 56 lb for distance and the 28 lb on different days because the timing is so different.

I have lots of tricks and such as I coach several throwers.

AstronautJones
12-01-2004, 09:27 PM
Awesome! Except you're about a year late. :(

Brad Cardoza
12-03-2004, 10:16 AM
Exlosive movements. Since every event is throwing the following exercises will get you to where you need too be.

Snatch - (hang and power)
clean - (hang and power)
1 arm snatch
pullthroughs
jump squats
speed squats
front squats
push press
push jerk

ETC... Obviously nothing beats evnt training, so 56 lb weight couple of stones for throwing would be a good idea as well.

Sensei
12-04-2004, 11:13 AM
There are quite a few highland games competitors here at this forum:
http://p083.ezboard.com/bstrengthdiscussion

They might be able to answer questions more specific to highland games events and training.

Brad Cardoza
12-04-2004, 05:20 PM
If you want a good highland games message board start here.

http://www.nasgaweb.com/forums/forum/default.asp

MixmasterNash
12-04-2004, 08:06 PM
Holy carp, I just happened to be surfing t-nation.com and I saw Brad Cardoza's pics and threads over there. I had seen them before, but I had forgotten about them until tonight. Check those out ASAP. Brad is a monster.

maverick9614
12-08-2004, 03:58 PM
Ya know, I thought about competing in these as well. My brothers in a Scottish pipe and Drum Corp and I thought about competing in their name at the next Highland Games. Maybe I'll join you in the kilt fest!