PDA

View Full Version : Video Of Becca Swanson's World Record 465 Benchpress!

Seanzilla
01-30-2004, 07:19 PM
At the 2004 APF Iowa State Championships, Becca "The Iron Maiden" Swanson benched a world record 465 pounds!

Here is a link to the video of Becca Swanson's 465 pound benchpress (courtesy of Bill Carpenter).

http://www.powermagonline.com/videos/index.htm

Max-Mex
01-30-2004, 07:51 PM
jesus she's big. very impressive. I feel so weak now.

the doc
01-30-2004, 08:25 PM
:eek:

WillKuenzel
01-30-2004, 09:36 PM
How much does she weigh?

..and I wish I could do that.

entrrt
01-30-2004, 11:26 PM
looks like she could've done more. had good control of that 465.

-sin-
01-31-2004, 04:15 AM
Wow.. she probably has more testosterone than a high school football team.

JustinASU
01-31-2004, 06:00 AM
Impressive but digusting. That wasn't a woman; it was a man with a ponytail.

chris mason
01-31-2004, 07:57 AM
I'm sorry, but I can't get over the fact she could barely touch her chest with the weight.

Bruise Brubaker
01-31-2004, 09:39 AM
:withstupi :withstupi

Budiak
01-31-2004, 11:42 AM
Yeah, it looked like she was fighting the shirt to get it down.

Still, thats one strong woman.

GonePostal
01-31-2004, 09:53 PM
nooooooooo a woman that is stronger them me! Impossible!

body
02-01-2004, 04:44 AM
I read she squated 700 pounds.

BCC
02-01-2004, 10:18 AM
I'm sorry, but I can't get over the fact she could barely touch her chest with the weight.

A friend of mine whom powerlifts got a new bench shirt not too long ago.

He was doing about 340 previously with his old shirt. He threw 365 on the bar with his new shirt, and could not get it to touch his chest whatsoever. It took 405 just to get the bar down to his chest. I know there have been plenty arguments about powerlifting equiptment, so I won't say anything, but dizamn.

Chris Rodgers
02-01-2004, 10:22 AM

Are you suprised? Even the guys benching 700 and 800+ when they have their shirts right it is tough to touch those heavy weights.

She is an absolute beast. Strong as anything. I'm not sure what she weighed there but I know she either usually competes @198 or as high as 230.

I just hope that women who see that don't think that if you start powerlifting you will turn into that. She is by no means "drug free" or your average woman to start.

GonePostal
02-01-2004, 11:33 AM
Wow I would have never guessed that was a woman if you guys didn't tell me and the pony tail....
BEAST!

Scott S
02-02-2004, 12:45 AM
Check this out: "she" has 27" legs and 17.5" arms!

http://www.ironasylumgym.com/womenbec

galileo
02-02-2004, 04:42 AM
I don't know whether to be amazed or appalled.

Ok I've decided on appalled.

chris mason
02-02-2004, 09:24 AM
Are you suprised? Even the guys benching 700 and 800+ when they have their shirts right it is tough to touch those heavy weights.

She is an absolute beast. Strong as anything. I'm not sure what she weighed there but I know she either usually competes @198 or as high as 230.

I just hope that women who see that don't think that if you start powerlifting you will turn into that. She is by no means "drug free" or your average woman to start.

No, that was just the most graphic example I have ever seen. I swear it looked like she literally had to pull the weight down the last couple of inches. It is just goofy.

I know she is doing it the same way others do, I have no problem with it from a competitive standpoint, it just seems stupid to me.

the doc
02-02-2004, 01:44 PM
i guess i'm one of those people who will never understand the bench shirt or the squat suit

Seanzilla
02-02-2004, 03:11 PM
The Doc,

Have you ever had rotator cuff surgery on your shoulder?

Have you ever torn a pec muscle?

Are you benching in the 400s+?

Are you squatting in the 600s+?

I've seen many lifters' careers get ended by blown out ACLs, torn rotator cuffs, ripped pec muscles, ect.

Start talking to people who lifted heavy for 10+ years and they'll often complain of sore shoulders, knees and elbows and of being stiff and broken down feeling. Powerlifting gear allows a lifter to lift heavy into their masters years (40's, 50's, 60's and beyond).

I knew an NPC national level bodybuilder who benched 505 for triples and who didn't use a bench shirt. We talked about him getting one, but he wasn't that interested. Then, he ripped his chest muscle and he hasn't competed since and he's really hesitant to bench heavy again. This could have been avoided by using a bench shirt on his super heavy sets.

chris mason
02-02-2004, 03:26 PM
I'm with you Sean, it just still bugs me a bit. I just have a hard time with it. The whole injury prevention part is overrated in my opinion.

That said, as I stated above, I understand its use and she is obviously a moose with or without equipment.

I also think you misunderstand Doc, I think he is just like me in that he would rather see things RAW but realizes people must use equipment in the current sport of powerlifting.

BCC
02-02-2004, 04:25 PM
I see the injury prevention as being overrated as well. If you're getting injured, your body was not made to move the weight (assuming it was not technique related).

Anthony
02-02-2004, 04:32 PM
Shirt or not, she's a very big and strong woman.

the doc
02-02-2004, 08:44 PM
The Doc,

Have you ever had rotator cuff surgery on your shoulder?
**no
Have you ever torn a pec muscle?
**no
Are you benching in the 400s+?
**no
Are you squatting in the 600s+?
**no
I've seen many lifters' careers get ended by blown out ACLs, torn rotator cuffs, ripped pec muscles, ect.
**me too.

Start talking to people who lifted heavy for 10+ years and they'll often complain of sore shoulders, knees and elbows and of being stiff and broken down feeling. Powerlifting gear allows a lifter to lift heavy into their masters years (40's, 50's, 60's and beyond).

I knew an NPC national level bodybuilder who benched 505 for triples and who didn't use a bench shirt. We talked about him getting one, but he wasn't that interested. Then, he ripped his chest muscle and he hasn't competed since and he's really hesitant to bench heavy again. This could have been avoided by using a bench shirt on his super heavy sets.

[/url]
:)
sean, chris is right in that i think you misunderstand me. i think the sport would be much better served by returning to raw lifting, but I understand that in the current situation that this would not only be impossible but also go against the drive to constantly achieve new records

Seanzilla
02-04-2004, 11:45 AM
A return to unequipped lifting (I don't like the word RAW, sounds like professional wrestling) would mean a return to lifters having to retire in their 30s (shoulder, knee, wrist and chest injuries).
There are still federations that offer unequipped divisions, so you've got that option if you'd like to compete that way.

da'ville's-big1
05-16-2004, 01:49 AM
i'd hate to be her husband

Seanzilla
05-16-2004, 12:30 PM
Why? Because you'd be the one wearing the skirt in that gym relationship? :hump:

Rick Hussey, Becca's boyfriend, co-owns the Big Iron Gym with her in Omaha, Nebraska and he is a really cool dude. Both of them are built rock solid and I've heard that they use their muscles to make a good impression with young people and get them into the gym rather than out on the streets getting into trouble.

-Seanzilla

da'ville's-big1
05-16-2004, 03:23 PM
Why? Because you'd be the one wearing the skirt in that gym relationship? :hump:

-Seanzilla

basically

Seanzilla
05-16-2004, 05:44 PM
LOL.................Becca is actually really girly and she's not as intimidating as her lifting would make you think. But, dang, she does bench 500, deadlift around 700 and squat around 800 - sheesh! :bow:

-Seanzilla

supirman
05-25-2004, 08:21 PM
Give me a fancy shmancy shirt and I'd probably get up into the 500s at 196lbs and I don't train for powerlifting....

I've seen guys in my gym that can hardly handle 315 raw that put up well over 400 with a shirt. This is rediculous. The game within the game has gotten out of hand. It's no longer who is the strongest, it's who has the best shirt.

Blah.