PDA

View Full Version : Soy flour

Budiak
01-31-2004, 03:17 PM
I was at WinCo today and they have a bulk food section. Well, they have soy flour for 90 cents a pound...macros are
fat- 6g
Carbs-11g
Fiber -5g
Protein-11g

Now, the question is, wtf can I do with this stuff? If its used the same way as regular flour, its basically a 'weight gainer' flour, but I dont know if it can be used in the same manner.

Does anybody have any tips or recipes for baking with this stuff? I was hoping maybe I'd be able to make some kind of nutrient dense, high protein, high unsaturated fat cookie with this stuff.

I'm going to be bulking soon, and if I could take something like that to school every day to munch on it would really help.

the doc
02-03-2004, 09:11 AM
hey man maybe search some keto recipe sites, as I think it is used more frequently in those types of meals.

I'd approach baking with it in a similar manner to using whole wheat flour in that it will produce dense baked goods as opposed to light and fluffy

ElPietro
02-03-2004, 09:37 AM
Bake me a muffin biatch.

I'm sure it will alter the taste towards the negative. What is the normal macro breakdown of regular white flour? Or WW flour?

Isaac Wilkins
02-03-2004, 09:49 AM
White flour (per cup)

455 cals
13g protein
1g fat
95.5g carbs
3.5g fiber

Whole wheat flour (per cup)
406 cals
16g protein
2.5g fat
87g carbs
14.5g fiber

TheGimp
02-03-2004, 10:30 AM
You can only replace a certain amount of wheat flour in a recipe with soy flour as the texture/structure relies on the gluten in the wheat. Also you might want to use the de-fatted kind (dunno if that's what you're talking about here) depending on the macros you require. Here's a website I found:

http://www.soybeanstore.com/FebruaryNewsletter.asp

Scroll down for the bit on soy flour

Budiak
02-05-2004, 10:24 PM
well I dont want to make muffins. If I were to make something in a large pan, like some sort of twisted brownie, it wouldnt matter how it rises or spreads out.

I dont care about taste, and I dont give a **** about texture. I'm looking for a nutrient-dense food that I can carry around with me so I only have to carry 3 pounds of food to class every day instead of 4.

fornero
02-20-2004, 09:03 PM
well I dont want to make muffins. If I were to make something in a large pan, like some sort of twisted brownie, it wouldnt matter how it rises or spreads out.

I dont care about taste, and I dont give a **** about texture. I'm looking for a nutrient-dense food that I can carry around with me so I only have to carry 3 pounds of food to class every day instead of 4.

Ditch the soy flour and get some soy protein isolate-- works extremely well for making hommade bars.

Mix with egg beaters, little salt + baking powder. Add sweetner/spices to taste.

Mix with oats for carbs
Flaxseed meal for fats/low carb
Wheat Bran adds bulk for minimal calories.
Peanut (or any nut butter) to increase calories.

Add enough water until you have something like a muffin batter. Bake/nuke.

Budiak
02-20-2004, 11:53 PM
Is soy protein isolate any different from using, say, casein or a whey/casein mix?

I'm not hooked on soy, I just thought it;d be a good way to get a densely caloric foodstuff that I could take around with me.

and this:
Mix with egg beaters, little salt + baking powder. Add sweetner/spices to taste.
Doesnt seem like it would make a solid bar in any way. There's nothing that will form there.

fornero
02-21-2004, 10:49 AM
Is soy protein isolate any different from using, say, casein or a whey/casein mix?

I'm not hooked on soy, I just thought it;d be a good way to get a densely caloric foodstuff that I could take around with me.

and this:
Doesnt seem like it would make a solid bar in any way. There's nothing that will form there.

Soy isolate is considerable "thicker" than casein (which is much thicker than whey) when mixed with water, so it'll make a better bar. In addition to the protein powder + eggs, you'll need to add some sort of filler (I use flaxseed meal for low carb, oatmeal for high carb) to get it to make a "batter". Adding a little guar or xanthum gum'll help it hold together as well (not necessary though).

Budiak
03-10-2004, 02:18 AM
Adding a little guar or xanthum gum'll help it hold together as well

I've been meaning to visit 'Additives R Us'

prof
03-10-2004, 04:09 AM
fellas keep away from soy.......read this

http://www.t-mag.com/nation_articles/302poison.jsp

Budiak
04-04-2004, 01:53 AM
I'm not interested in it for health benefits or longevity. I'm not into it because I'm a vegan or because I am on low carb. I want to use soy flour because I think that a few extra grams of protein in a soy-flour based cookie would be beneficial to my bulking goals. I'm not worried about the apparent testosterone lowering effects at all.

I trust T-mag about as far as I can throw it.

Not very far.