PDA

View Full Version : Oly lifts

debussy
02-01-2004, 12:14 AM
Hey, this is a very newbie question. Is it possibly to do Olympic lifts without a trainer? I'm sure there are tapes out there that teach the techniques, but would I risk injury without a trainer? Has anyone "sucessfully" developed their oly lift form and technique without the assistance of a trainer? I guess nothing will beat having a trainer there giving you pointers and telling what you are doing wrong. But I figure if it feels ok, and use common sense, then it would be possible to learn the form and techniques without a trainer. Any comments?

Saint Patrick
02-01-2004, 02:08 AM
If you don't get a trainer, then find someone who knows how to do oly lifts and work out together with him/her or watch him/her work out.

IceRgrrl
02-03-2004, 06:36 AM
There is so much technique involved in Oly's that you really need someone knowledgeable to watch you and give you feedback. And even once you master the technique, as you try to progress, it's easy for bad habits/faults to creep in without someone to keep you on the straight and narrow. Check into USA Weightlifting and see if there are any clubs or coaches in your area...you may find that help is easier to find than you think :) Or find an experienced strength coach who uses Oly's with his/her athletes...a little instruction goes a long way with these lifts.