PDA

View Full Version : Tuna & Mercury??

illa_noize
02-05-2004, 08:11 AM
I have been hearing a lot of news about different fish that may contain mercury. I was also reading something, I can't remember where, but it said that I should watch my intake of Tuna because it may contain mercury. Now, I consume about a can of tuna a day. I don't want to end up in the hospital because of it. Let me know what your thoughts of this subject are. Please let me know if there is any good sites that prove there is or isn't any of this in tuna.

mikey4402
02-05-2004, 08:14 AM
a can a day is fine

TurboStu
02-05-2004, 08:30 AM
I don't want to sound snappy or mean about this, but you should have used the search first. There is at least one other thread on this very topic with this very title that is multiple pages long

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=41700&highlight=Tuna+Mercury

Long and short of it, it is fine. Most of those warnings go out to women that are pregnant, expecting, or breast feeding. Most of the tuna you eat also isn't from the ocean, most of it in fact is farm raised fish. Eat your tuna!

illa_noize
02-05-2004, 08:40 AM
I don't want to sound snappy or mean about this, but you should have used the search first. There is at least one other thread on this very topic with this very title that is multiple pages long

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=41700&highlight=Tuna+Mercury

Long and short of it, it is fine. Most of those warnings go out to women that are pregnant, expecting, or breast feeding. Most of the tuna you eat also isn't from the ocean, most of it in fact is farm raised fish. Eat your tuna!
Uhh, okay. Thanks for the link. I did a search for it, but the title didn't contain anything about mercury. Yeah, I could have looked in the topic, but I just wanted a quick answer. And that quick answer I got. thanks! :thumbup:

geoffgarcia
02-05-2004, 09:26 AM
here is another one
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?p=667308#post667308

TrevorN
02-06-2004, 02:03 AM
you'd have to eat like 2 cans of tuna per day for 20 years or 3 for 15 :hump:

Runnin' Scared
02-13-2004, 02:44 PM
My sister went to the doctor because she was feeling lethargic. They ran some tests and said it was too much mercury. She did eat a lot of tuna (a can a day). I heard about that and asked the exercise physiologist where I work. He told me two cans a week is all he would recommend. So, I do as he says. He's a bodybuilder also, and basically said why risk it, there are a lot of ways to get your protein.

illa_noize
02-13-2004, 03:07 PM
My sister went to the doctor because she was feeling lethargic. They ran some tests and said it was too much mercury. She did eat a lot of tuna (a can a day). I heard about that and asked the exercise physiologist where I work. He told me two cans a week is all he would recommend. So, I do as he says. He's a bodybuilder also, and basically said why risk it, there are a lot of ways to get your protein.
WTF?! Are you serious? What do they do for mercury poisoning? How can they still make the Tuna without some kind of warning lable? I eat one a day for a while now. :confused:

restless
02-13-2004, 03:12 PM

Most of those warnings also go to people eating way less fish than bodybuilders. And farm raised? Aren't you mixing this up with salmon?