PDA

View Full Version : Substitute for protien shakes?

furrukh
02-05-2004, 01:50 PM
Hi all,
from where i come from protien shakes are nearly impossible to find, so we gotta order them online. I was wondering if there was anything close to protien shakes which i could drink/eat as a close substitute before or after my workouts?since i am trying to lose my body fat and work on my underdeveloped muscles?

Thanks

rerard
02-05-2004, 02:06 PM
eggs, egg beaters, lean meat, milk, soy stuff

geoffgarcia
02-05-2004, 02:23 PM
why not just by them online then? surely there must be a market for this stuff in australia also?

furrukh
02-05-2004, 02:36 PM
Well geoff,
I am visiting my parents for holidays and this is where i started weightlifting, i am returning to australia by march and will shop around for them. As i am totally new to this, Could you kindly advice me as what to buy? how to make a protien shake? and when to drink it,that is pre or post workout(and how many minutes or hours to drink it pre/post workout)? keeping in mind that i am trying to lose a lot of body fat and replace it with hard rock muscle. Thanks a lot mate! :)

geoffgarcia
02-05-2004, 02:44 PM
if your new to working out then the quality of your protien wont matter to much...getting finicky about the different types (isolates, peptides, hydro, egg, casein etc..) is more for the hardcore lifters that are looking to get every iota possible out of a workout.

For a beginner I would imagine that a simple blended protein that has a good flavor would be the most important. how much and how often to take it completely depends on what your daily diet is like and I dont want to make any assumptions about that.

Most people find that taking a protein shake 2-4 times per day is needed to get enough protein for their muscles.

Post workout (within 45 minutes) is the most critical time to take a protein shake.
if you opt to take one preworkout then take it 45 minutes before you go to the gym.

There are many types of "protein" drinks you can buy.
There are pure powders (made of one type of protein)
there are blended formulas that incorporate various types of protein for different releases/absorption rates (such as atLarge nitrean which you can order on this site)
then there are others that contain sugars and proteins which are ideal to take together for pre and postworkout but not desirable at any other point of the day.
and finally there are MRP's or Meal Replacement Powders which tend to be just as the name implies, a replacement for a meal containing fats, carbs and proteins.

You need to figure out your diet and what you need.
If you can only pick one type of formula I'd go for something with a blend of protein (such as the nirean) and then add the carbs on the side...(dextrose, maltodextrin)

as far as losing fat that doesn't happen in the gym...thats a result of a proper diet (primarily)...
and gaining muscle has a lot to do with what you eat as well.

Stay tuned to this board and read through as many posts as you can. There is also a search function at the top so if you have any questions you might want to start there.
Good luck! and welcome to the community :thumbup:

furrukh
02-05-2004, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the welcome and detailed prompt reply geoff :) As far my my diet is concerned it is as follows

Breakfast 9:00 am. 2 egg whites with brown bread toast, kidney beans and a glass of skim milk

Snack 12:00 pm. Tuna sandwhich

Lunch 3:00 pm: chicken breast sandwhich

Hit the gym 6:00 pm

Dinner 9:00 pm. Tuna pasta with frozen vegetables

i don't know if i am following the right track or not. Confused like crazy

andy51
02-05-2004, 05:04 PM
you could possibly cut some of the carbs out of your diet especially the pasta at night. I think i am leading you down the right track but some of the diet gurus could probably help you our a lot more than me.

rerard
02-05-2004, 05:06 PM
In my opion you should eat at least a snack after your workout, to go three hours without eating after working out is not good, especially if you went three hours without food before it... thats 6 hours with no fuel :eek:

furrukh
02-06-2004, 01:41 PM
Tthe following is the "menu" which consists of approximately 2300 calories which i have started to follow, gimme some feedback, as it is always appreciated :)

8:00 am Breakfast: 2 eggs 1/2 c oatmeal with 1/2 c berries, 1 c fat-free milk
9:30 am : glass of water
11:00 am: salad with: 1 can tuna, 2 c salad (dark-green lettuce, carrots, chopped bell peppers, tomatoes, and onions, with 1 Tbsp olive oil
12:45 am : glass of water
2:00 pm: sandwich with: 3 oz sliced chicken or turkey breast, 2 slices whole grain bread 1 Tbsp mayonnaise
3:15 pm: glass of water
4:30 pm : protien shake
5:30 pm : WORKOUT
7:00 pm : protien shake
9:00 pm : 3 oz salmon, grilled or poached 1 small baked sweet potato 2 c salad (with the same ingredientsused above) 1 Tbsp olive oil in thousand island fat free dressing, and a glass of water.