PDA

View Full Version : How Bad for you is HCFS??

JTyrell710
02-05-2004, 06:07 PM
High fructose COrn syrup
I hear tall tales of how bad it is for you and I'd like to know if anyone has any real information on it.
?

Saint Patrick
02-05-2004, 06:36 PM
Yes it's bad.

We had a debate in this forum about a month ago and I posted some links to articles.

Do a search.

JTyrell710
02-05-2004, 09:44 PM
my bad

Holto
02-06-2004, 01:51 PM
I didn't think there was a single fact to support its being bad

Saint Patrick
02-06-2004, 02:33 PM
Here we go:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=40405

"While research is still being conducted as to the health detriments of high-fructose corn syrup, many scientists are concluding that this sweetener could be a key player in the nation's obesity epidemic. "Fructose is more readily metabolized into fat," argues Peter Havel, Ph.D., a nutritionist from the University of California at Davis, in a recent Men's Health Magazine. When a person consumes carbohydrates, insulin is released to provide proper storage and distribution of the food energy and to suppress the person's appetite. Another hormone -- leptin -- is also stimulated to perform similar tasks and regulate the metabolism.

"According to Havel, "Fructose doesn't stimulate insulin and therefore doesn't increase the production of leptin." Conclusion: you can consume large quantities of foods that are high in high-fructose corn syrup and never feel full. Basically, the empty calories from the high-fructose corn syrup make a clear dash for your waistline."

Holto
02-06-2004, 03:06 PM
just so it dosen't seem that I'm advocating junk food

foods that are high in HFCS are generally crap

but so is any food with sugar added, certainly not natural foods

if it's not very filling it's not good for cutting but if you're in a calorie deficit and the cals are counted you will still lose weight, you will just be more hungry

"Fructose is more readily metabolized into fat," argues Peter Havel, Ph.D., a nutritionist from the University of California at Davis

is this a fact or an argument?

and if this is a fact does it have any relevance to body composition ?

do we have a study where a group gained permanent bodyfat because they ate HFCS vs a control with the same total cals ?

my argument is that your body is storing and mobilizing fat all day
(even for someone maintaining weight)

so when you deposit fat from HFCS you don't just decide to gain extra fat that day

it dosen't effect energy balance and weight gain/loss is determined by energy balance

----------------------------------------

I'm all for learning something here

maybe someone will post the mother of all HFCS body compostion studies