PDA

View Full Version : Gpp

Anthony
02-05-2004, 07:05 PM
I currently train M-T-T-F, so I'm thinking about doing my GPP work on Wednesday. The session will take approximately 15-20 seconds, using the following drills:

squat thrusts: 10 thrusts x 2 sets
vertical jumps: 3 jumps x 2 sets
sled dragging: 1 minute forward x 1 set / 1 minute backwards x 1 set
sandbag throws: 1 minute x 1 set
sledgehammer vs. tire: 1 minute x 1 set

Input?

benchmonster
02-06-2004, 08:04 AM
sounds good to me. but I would do it more often than once per week. and go till you think you are going to die. go till your lungs feel like they will explode, then the next time you do that exercise, push it a little harder.

I realize that flies in the face of conventional wisdom, but to be your strongest and most athletic, you MUST have superior cardio ability. I have missed more lifts in competition from running out of air, than I ever have from running out of strength. If you never get tired, also, then you can train much harder and much longer, than another person whose cardio gives out, forcing them to quit earlier in a given training session.

I love the sledgehammer thing, we do that and many other crazy, painful things in the alley behind our gym. Another good thing to do, in addition to the good things you listed, is to pick up those sandbags (or better yet, bags of lead shot) and go for a walk. Just like a farmer's walk. Then when you get tired of that, walk with the lead shot bags held overhead.

If you are not walking while holding objects overhead, you are really missing out on the king of core strengthening/stabilization exercises.

B.

ElPietro
02-06-2004, 08:22 AM
Hey, don't mean to try and hijack this thread, but I was wondering, if I wanted to build a sled for dragging, would you guys know of a good way to do it?

What I am thinking, (no I'm not a metal worker), is to get some kind of sheet metal, and bend up a lip on the front, obviously so that it will not collect crap from the road or lawn, and then weld some kind of bar to hold plates. Is that pretty much it? Other than the obvious, such as cutting out a hole at the front to attach some form of chain or cable to a belt so it can be harnessed on?

Is this something that you should pile on tons of weight, and do for a shorter duration? Or is it more of a longish (5-10 minutes continuous) dragging of moderate weight?

ElPietro
02-06-2004, 08:22 AM
Oops, sorry, just noticed the 1 minute comment on the sled drags from anthony, I must have missed that but it takes care of one question at least.

Adam
02-06-2004, 08:54 AM
ElP, that's how the actual sleds are built so if you do you like that it will work just like the real thing. I can't remember how much weight is used though, something tells me that the westside guys get up to like 8plates or so but don't quote me:) Check elitefts.com

Anthony
02-06-2004, 10:20 AM
benchmonster, thanks for the input. I will eventually do gpp multiple times a week, but I want to start off slow. And the overhead walk sounds great, I'll be sure to throw those in.

ElPietro, I'm actually going to use an old tire, put a board in it, cut a hole for the rope, and pile some sandbags on top. I don't think the gym would appreciate me taking some of their plates outside to drag around the parking lot. :( As for the time ... most of what I read says try to build up to 2 minutes and then add weight. But I don't think it really matters one way or another. Any type of manual labour is gpp ... shoveling, wheelbarrel, jumping jacks, etc. As long as you try to progress and increase your work capacity.

NateDogg
02-06-2004, 10:31 AM
Hey, not meaning to hijack this thread either, but where would I find a sandbag? Maybe at an army surplus store or something? I can always just put dirt in a bag I guess, but then I wonder what kind of bag could take a reasonable amount of punishment (dropping it and what not).

Thanks!

Anthony
02-06-2004, 10:34 AM
Hardware store! They usually come in durable bags, but you could always double bag and duct tape it or put it in an old duffle bag. Cheap too.

NateDogg
02-06-2004, 10:45 AM
Hardware store! They usually come in durable bags, but you could always double bag and duct tape it or put it in an old duffle bag. Cheap too.

Yeah, I did have the duct tape in mind as a possibility...thanks!