PDA

View Full Version : What diet when morbid obese

ogarchamplin
02-06-2004, 10:21 AM
I was just windering what diet i should start with considering that i am 6'3 370lbs. I am starting the weight routine number one from this site but i know that i should not eat like a bodybuilder because i have so much fat to lose. :burger:

raniali
02-06-2004, 12:49 PM
well congrats on making the first step to improving your health. just the addition of weight training alone will greatly help you. you need to eat less than your body uses, but still keeping calories and nutrients adequate. i know there are several members here who made dramatic changes and might be a good resource to ask. if you haven't already, browse the member's pic section -- from very recent to long past to find a few who have done it.

i have a friend who lost 90 pounds in 6 months from just eating better and less and adding some minimal cardio (like walking). you can do it too.

Jasonl
02-06-2004, 12:53 PM
Make sure to get plenty of protien as well as EFAs. Since you're just starting I think your body might respond well to some kind of low carb diet, usually I'm not a fan of these, but in your case I think it would be a good starting point. I'd say get on an elliptical trainer 1-2 times a week for maybe 30mins per session just to help out. It really good to see you're motivated to lose weight and improve your lifestyle, we all wish you the best. :)

Holto
02-06-2004, 01:17 PM
you definitely do want to eat like a bodybuilder

we eat three ways

to bulk (gain weight)

to cut (lost weight)

and maintain

you wan't to cut

you can do a search on cutting and also read up journals of those who are cutting

the idea of eating like a bb is to provide your muscles opportunity to grow

1 lb of muscle burns 40-60 cals a day at rest

1 lb of fat burns 2-3 cals a day

add muscle + lose fat = feel great

Holto
02-06-2004, 01:39 PM
here are some decisions to make

1) how many cals dialy

2) what ratios of Carbs:Fat:Protein

3) how many meals

4) what foods

make one permanent change at a time

don't try to do everything at once, don't put to much pressure on yourself

geoffgarcia
02-06-2004, 01:44 PM
if your that obese I'd probably stay away from any of the fat burner type products as your heart must be in overload as it is.

You might want to consider a colon cleanser to ensure you get the most out of every meal you take in.

Drink plenty of water to offset any appetite cravings...

Good luck, and consider taking progress pictures of yourself...you might feel timid about posting them now, but after you lose the first 50 and subsequent weight I'm sure you'll be proud of your accomplishments.

Keep motivated, set goals, and reward yourself.

ogarchamplin
02-06-2004, 02:43 PM
What i have done for the last three weeks is drink nothing but water,about a gallon a day and i get on the treadmill for an hour. I usually do the speed at 3.2 mph with a 3% grade. I try to keep my heart rate around 148. For my size i do pretty well on the tredmill. With food i have done nothing other than portion control. I was shocked once i started reading labels and seeing what is a serving compared to what i was eating. I have notice a loss in inches but i cannot weigh myself until i hit the 350lb mark because that is the highest my scale will go. I had a dye stress test done so the ticker is ok.

raniali
02-06-2004, 03:05 PM
well you are obviously making progress so you must be doing something right. portion control is probably the number one reason people are overweight and you seem to have begun conquering that. can you get weighed at the doctor's?

Holto
02-06-2004, 03:27 PM
I was shocked once i started reading labels and seeing what is a serving compared to what i was eating

you sound like you're well on your way

dont kill yourself

an hr on the treadmill is pretty long

(and if after weights I would say too much)

what I'm getting at is it's better to devise a plan you can stick with and I'm sure you will

Jasonl
02-06-2004, 03:38 PM
if your that obese I'd probably stay away from any of the fat burner type products as your heart must be in overload as it is.

I agree, even though your heart is ok, there will probably be no need for a fat burner quite yet, wait until you've lost all the weight you possibly can just from strict diet and excersise alone.

ogarchamplin
02-06-2004, 04:26 PM
an hr on the treadmill is pretty long

(and if after weights I would say too much)

What would be good amount of time on the treadmill for the heart to benefit plus burn calories? 20 minutes? i plan on doing the first routine outline in the routine forum and it talks about crunches but nothing about cardio. Is cardio bad when trying to gain muscle? :scratch:

RickTheDestroyer
02-07-2004, 10:32 AM
The jury is still out about cardio while building muscle... people will strongly argue both sides. In your case, I don't think that cardio is a bad idea but 1 hour does seem a little excessive (but it's really awesome that you can do the treadmill for that long), I think it would be more beneficial to do it for 20-45 minutes and maybe do more sessions (I don't know how many you're doing now, but 4 per week or so would probably do the trick). I would say do it HIIT, but I don't know that you would get the same cardiovascular benefits, but you'd burn a lot of fat. You will probably see more benefit from the weightlifting though.
I would suggest portion control with the eating, but do make sure that you are actually getting enough to eat (especially protein). I used to be fatter than I am now and literally ate probably 1/3 as much as I do now. I guess my point is that the exercise puts a lot of stress on your body and you want to be good and sure you're giving yourself enough resources to recover. I know that burning fat is your primary goal at this point, but as far as I know your body won't use bodyfat as resources for recovery, so you have to provide it with enough clean food.
Good luck, and a big congrats on your progress thus far. You won't regret this decision, in fact you'll probably look back in a year or two and wonder how you ever lived without weightlifting. Seriously.

Holto
02-07-2004, 11:59 AM
What would be good amount of time on the treadmill for the heart to benefit plus burn calories?

20-45 minutes

Is cardio bad when trying to gain muscle?

try to keep total workout time to 1hr and you will be fine

drew
02-07-2004, 01:28 PM
Being that you're 370lbs, I wouldn't worry about losing muscle by doing cardio. Try to keep it around 30 minutes a day.

The best diet is the one you'll stick to. If you've got a very high % of body fat, I don't think the standard 1-2 lbs per week is ideal for you, you may want to shoot for a bit more. I would just try to get some quality foods into your diet. Lots of protein and fiber and eat a small meal every 2-3 hours. The general cutting rule would put you around 3700 cals a day, but you may even want to start down at 3000. Try it for a couple of weeks and see where it takes you. Then adjust your cals up or down based on your results.

dannyisgonnacut
02-07-2004, 04:35 PM
Man screw eating like a "bodybuilder" at your stage> Youre gonna lose fat very fast if youre at your weight.
Do yourself a favor and visit this site
http://www.lowcarb.ca
and visit the support forums
There are morbidly obese forums, atkins forums, south beach diet forums, ckd forums
OF COURSE, keep weanna be big as your bodybuilding resourse once you get to a workable weight, but really screw crunches at your weight, and start with the cardio!

A tip: THE TRUTH, a book by Frank Sepe is also good if you dont wanna go the low carb way. This way you can be a bodybuilder if you really want to.

Whichever way you go , no change is gonna be overnight, although you will lose faster than most considering your weight (unless your metabolically resistant) your body is desperate to lose weight.

Hit me with a pm if you need more help.

harryhoudini66
02-07-2004, 05:34 PM
Yeah and take your time on the weight loss. I know it is very hard to listen to this advice but in the end it is the best way to go. You do not want to lose too much to quickly and end up having to get a tummy tuck and lipo to get rid of the excess skin.

I have lost about 70-80 pounds now.

prof
02-11-2004, 10:19 AM
wow sounds like you are already making progress

keep it up :thumbup:

i can't see a problem with the treadmill, and think with your current weight some slow long duration stuff will be fine, just try and increase the incline a little each week

I also reckon that you probably already have some pretty strong leg muscles, cos they are used to carrying some weight around all the time-another good thing :thumbup:

WBB1 sounds like a good place to start, just take it easy to begin with

dietwise-i would read through all the diet articles on this site, don't cut calories too quickly, and you will be fine

maybe start up a journal where you log your progress, and post all your measurements, it'll be great in 6 months to go back and compare them with the new you

ericg
02-11-2004, 12:01 PM
sounds like you are in the right frame of mind to make this transformation and it seems like you are getting some results. the advice here is great. i wish you well and keep us all updated. maybe start up a journal??

ogarchamplin
02-11-2004, 07:43 PM
I have a journal going under the heading Jabba The Hut Starts Training

ogarchamplin
02-11-2004, 07:46 PM
Here is my Journal (http://64.191.89.22/showthread.php?t=42738)

Dedicated
02-11-2004, 10:35 PM
Your avatar is cool.

etwa
02-12-2004, 03:14 PM
Ogarchamplin, I just signed in to tell you congratulations!!!!!! 14 short months ago I was 348lbs and now I am 285lbs with the help of a 40/40/20 type diet. 40 percent proteins and carbs and 20 percent fat intake. My body fat was 30+ and now it is in the low 20's. Don't be afraid to eat, but do so Cleanly!!!!! Quality protein and slow burning carbs! Chicken and rice, salmon and steamed veggies rule my day. Fat intake is important as we need our bodies to keep from going into starvation mode. Do a search on flax seed or omega 3 and 6's. Take some everyday to keep the system burning fat and not hording it.

The workouts are the key to building a better body. Muscle developement will get your metabolism running like it should. Don't fret the size of the weights but increase everytime you do an exercise. You will be suprised as to how fast you are able to increase the poundage!

I started this when I was just turning 37!

I look forward to your success!