PDA

View Full Version : help please!!

carlossalsa8
02-06-2004, 05:58 PM
I have posted several threads looking for diet advices, and no one has offer me or has given any advice. All I need is a good diet. I play soccer, I am an active person, I do weight lifting, and I run a lot. I just would like to know wut foods to eat All I want is drop five pounds and that is it. I haven't lost them because I ve been eating to recover the energy lost during games and practices. I eat more carbs than protein, and i don't eat that much fat. I was just wondering, if I want to lose the five pounds should i stop eating that much carbs and have a strict diet for a while? I m not fat and don't want to stick with a strict diet but if i have to I will. Usually I have 2 cheat days which are saturday and sunday ( not junk food) I haven't gone to the gym for a while but I ma start going again. i am 5'9.5'', 158 pounds I don't know my body fat %. Someone could help me with a plan to follow please. At least just give me examples if u don't mind. Thanks.

drew
02-06-2004, 06:50 PM
If all you want to do is drop 5 lbs, you can do it very easily with what you already do. It doesn't matter much what you eat, but you should be trying to get a good deal of protein and fiber in your diet.

Basic rules, first you need to find your maintenance level of daily calories. Based on your weight, it's probably about 2400-2500 per day, since you do a lot of cardio. I would aim for about 2000 cals a day and see how that goes. You should start seeing about 1 lb loss per week, putting you at your goal in 5 weeks.

For your cheat days, just try to keep it within your daily calorie range. If you need help counting cals, go to www.fitday.com

carlossalsa8
02-07-2004, 12:43 PM
So that means that when I am not running or doing exersice I should eat less calories or should I take the same amount of calories? lets say I need 2500 a day as you said, when I am resting should I take the 2500 cals too or less that that? I been running and playing soccer since I was a kid. I don't lose weight though and I eat clean food ( most of them carbs) I don't eat junk food. Is there a way of losing the five pounds without depriving my self of nutrients? wut I mean is that running takes a lot of energy and when I am done running the hour I get so sleepy. I used to be on a diet, consisting of fruits, vegetables, and 55 to 65 % of carbs. Carbs help a lot and give me enough energy to run the miles I run. The main point is that when I was ''DIETING'' I was eating like about 1000-1600 cals a day and I used to lose more than 900 cals a day ( according to my calculations) and my weight didn't drop. My stomach started to hurt and I felt so sleepy during that time so I decided to drop the dieting since I was exercising a lot. During that time I didn't eat carbs and my running went down. So I started a carbload and my running during the game was much much better. I didnt get fat neither I lost weight , is there any specific reason to answer this? A friend of mine told me that I didn't drop weight because I wasn't eating enough calories the days I exersice and I burned too many calories so my body didn't want to let the nutrients or fat let out ( something like that) and it is like if my body storages energy that would be needed ( does this make sence, if not try to make sence of it). So according to his opinion I think he is saying that since I run for an hour 4 days a week, play soccer, work and do weight lifting 2 days a week I should eat more and higher the cals intake a day or eat the 1500 cals a day and lower the exersice. He also said that losing 1000 cals a day is not heathier. That was wut he told me. Any advices or opnions.

drew
02-07-2004, 01:33 PM
Yes, absolutely correct.

When you dropped down to the 1000-1600 cals a day, your body went into starvation mode. It conserves everything you put into it and slows your metabolism down making it harder to lose weight.

What you want to do is get 2000 cals a day, every day. On the days you run or play soccer, you should get a good deal of carbs before and after, to keep your energy up. You should also try to eat something every 3 hours during the day. Eat breakfast, eat before bed.

2000 cals a day, try it for 2 weeks and see how you do.

carlossalsa8
02-07-2004, 02:21 PM
So in other words, I should not diet!!! I should just keep doing wut I have been doing (exersice) and eat clean. So dieting while exercising isn't really a good idea huh? Is it bad to lose more than 1000 cals a day? I used to lift weight a lot, and got surprising results rapidly. I ma start to lift again on monday. I used to weight 150 and went up to 158 in one month a half or two with out taking pills, whey pro. or any of those stuff. ( that is not a lot of weight gain but since i don't take anything, for me it is) I stop lifting and dedicate to run but my body is still the same ( I quit lifting 3 month ago) why haven't I lost muscles? instead I see my body more cut and defined. Is it because for the running? Sorry if I ask silly questions but I just wanna learn about everything I can. The only time I can exersice is before 7 pm. I get out the gym between 9 30 pm or 10. Should I eat something before I go to bed, if yes wut are some goods foods to eat. I usually eat a yogurt with a cup of kelloggs and last but not least how can I determined my body fat %? Thanks. You really cleared my confusing thoughts.

drew
02-07-2004, 03:12 PM
Well, how many cals a day are you getting? You can diet, but if you only want to lose 5 lbs, it shouldn't take long.

Get back to lifting. Running alone won't make you strong.

Good foods are chicken, fish, lean beef, nuts, seeds, vegetables, and some fruit. Oatmeal, eggs, tuna are also good.

Body fat % is easiest to determine using a caliper that you can buy just about anywhere, just look around on the web.

carlossalsa8
02-07-2004, 03:45 PM
Okay bro. Thanks for your help. Just wondering, if I consumed 3500 calories a day which is equivalent to one pound and don't do any exercise during that day, will I gain the pound instantly or the basal calories or the calories lost just by living will help not to gain the pound? Because sometimes I over eat ( when I mean over eat, it means I ate a lottt) and not gaining any pound. Thanks for ur quick responses man.

Holto
02-07-2004, 03:53 PM
So in other words, I should not diet!!!

if by diet you mean eat less cals then you burn then you have to diet to lose weight

this is energy balance

also

when eating way below maintenance (ie: too low, ie: 1300)

your body will slow your metabolic rate, but it can't just start storing nutrients because it thinks it's starving

this is also energy balance

you aren't giving your body a choice but to lose weight by burning eigher muscle or fat

drew
02-07-2004, 05:52 PM
Okay bro. Thanks for your help. Just wondering, if I consumed 3500 calories a day which is equivalent to one pound and don't do any exercise during that day, will I gain the pound instantly or the basal calories or the calories lost just by living will help not to gain the pound? Because sometimes I over eat ( when I mean over eat, it means I ate a lottt) and not gaining any pound. Thanks for ur quick responses man.
No, 3500 cals in a day won't make you gain a pound. Although theoretically, you would if you ate 3500 ABOVE your maintenance level for the day. For you that would be around 6000 cals in one day.