PDA

View Full Version : CKD Questions, yes I did a search.

Hercule
02-07-2004, 12:51 PM
Please don't jump me for the 9millionth CKD question, i did a search and gathered as much info as possible, but there were a lot of different answers, and here is what I came up with.

I am going to do a cut in 4 weeks. I am going to drop 20lbs., 1-2lbs a week for 10-15 weeks. I have always had great results w/ ketogenic diets. I was pretty overweight, and lost 25lbs. on atkins, but I lost too much strength as well. I am going to use a CKD for this diet. Here is what I have gathered-

*30-40 carbs a day monday-friday
*carb up on weekends. Would 300-400 on each day be okay. I saw somewhere recommending that Saturday be High GI carbs, and sunday be mostly low gi carbs.
*Can I still use my same workout schedule? I have seen some people say you need to do full body workouts 2X a week. I don't really like that idea. I know my workouts will suffer in the middle of the week, but I'm okay w/ that.

Thanks for any help, and once again, i'm sorry for posting ANOTHER CKD question.

Severed Ties
02-07-2004, 05:51 PM
What your planning to do is fine, the total body workouts some mention are more a part of UD2.0 which is a stricter form of CKD.

ST

raniali
02-07-2004, 08:21 PM
you are more prone to injury training midweek in the midst of keto. if you do not want to adjust your training, i would suggest a TKD instead of a CKD. you can consume carbs before and after all training sessions thereby providing the energy you need to train and the nutrients you need to heal.

if you want to stick with a CKD, the carb up portion is as individual as everything else. i found that 2 full days of 300+ carbs was much too much for me. i was a bloated pig. carb can vary between 24-48 hours so you need to monitor and find out what work best for you. 300-400 sounds about right, but some people need more, lots more. if you are not 100% glycogenated at the end of 48 hours, it is better to continue carbing than to return to keto. make the necessary adjustments for the following week though. doing light cardio at the end of carb up can facilitate the transition back to keto and also help relieve the bloat. i do think your training is going to suffer if you insist on doing a CKD and training midweek, but you never know till you try.

Hercule
02-11-2004, 04:50 PM
Thanks rani. I know my workouts will suffer. I did Atkins, and was in a state of Keto for 2 months straight, never did a carb up. My strength went down a lot, but as I bodybuilder I can't really be concerned with that to a certain extent. I plan on switching my split around so that my weak points will be worked on a carb up day or directy after, so I can possibly build them up a little. How much cardio should I do? 3 30 minute sessions too much?

raniali
02-11-2004, 05:03 PM
Thanks rani. I know my workouts will suffer. I did Atkins, and was in a state of Keto for 2 months straight, never did a carb up. My strength went down a lot, but as I bodybuilder I can't really be concerned with that to a certain extent. I plan on switching my split around so that my weak points will be worked on a carb up day or directy after, so I can possibly build them up a little. How much cardio should I do? 3 30 minute sessions too much?

if you insist, it is best to train the day after you begin to carb-up. carb-up day itself should be rest since you are trying to FILL your cells, not deplete them. because of the time lag with metabolism, you will be fullest the day after carbing which is a good time to train hard. training the first 2 days after carbing is recommended because you still have glycogen available for energy and leverage. you should not need to do 3 30-min cardio sessions. again, too much exercise in keto is detrimental. without glycogen for QUICK energy, your body will resort to using muscle. depending on what your overall goals are, this may be acceptable to you.

i understand the desire to diet and do cardio - but following a CKD requires a little restraint on the exercise. seriously, you might think about a TKD instead -- although you aren't premitted the massive weekend carb binges.

Paul Stagg
02-11-2004, 05:06 PM
I would suggest training as outlined in 'The Ketogenic Diet' for the CKD, which is Monday Tuesday 2 day split (upper lower or push pull) and Friday depletion workout.