PDA

View Full Version : carbs?

carlossalsa8
02-11-2004, 02:30 PM
I play soccer and run a lot. I just would like to know how many carbs a day should I eat a day in training days and non- training days. I usually run for an hour, do lots of sprints and more stuff. I train monday,tuesday, wednesday, thursday ( a hour running and then I just go and play with the ball) and on fridays and saturdays I do weight lifting. How many grams of carbs should I take? For now I am taking like about 950 to 1050 cals of carbs which is like 65 to 70 % of my cals intake, I take like 15 to 20% of pro, and fat I get like 10 to 15%. Should I take more or less? I also would like to know if eating 1600 to 1700 cals is okay for me? should I bump them up? I think I should, like about to 2000 or 2500 cals, wut do u think?

WillKuenzel
02-11-2004, 05:12 PM
How much do you weigh? I would definitely think you need more carbs. More calories period really. What are your goals? Are you looking to gain muscle, lose fat, maintain, or what? That can make a difference, however I don't think anybody as active as you are needs to be eating less than 2000 calories.

carlossalsa8
02-11-2004, 05:48 PM
How much do you weigh? I would definitely think you need more carbs. More calories period really. What are your goals? Are you looking to gain muscle, lose fat, maintain, or what? That can make a difference, however I don't think anybody as active as you are needs to be eating less than 2000 calories.

I am 5'9 158 pounds. My goals are weird and kind of confusing. I wanna lose 7 pounds of fat, and get rid of the fat I still have around my six pack. I am having problems with the last two. they are visible but not as much as the others. ( they are the harder ones to get) I wanna lose fat as I said but mostly from the stomach ( it is not that much fat I could lose it in 3 month or less of hard work if keep doing wut I am doing, but wut I am concern is about food) My body is cut, lean I would say, and running has help me a lot to cut. I also want to get resistance, better performance, and muscle ( I use to do weight lifting, worked hard and gained exelletn results. I stopped lifting weight, not at all, but I started lift moderate, i started to run more and more, and never lose muscles neither weight. I am happy with my weight but if you think about running for an hour four days a week,( I started running 2 month ago,I have always run but not as I do now) will make you lose weight, but I didn't lose weight so I think my weight hasn't dropped cuz of the calories I eat a day aren't sufficient to all the running I do. Could this be any explanation of it? My abs got better, but my weight not. I am not that desperate to lose weight but I just want to know about the calories I should eat and lose my seven pounds, mostly from my stomach.

galileo
02-11-2004, 06:10 PM
Why is 7lbs the magic number?

Anyhow, a lot of people advocate diets in the 40f/20c/40p or 33f/33c/33p range for cutting. With your active lifestyle I would suggest you go with the latter or perhaps even a 25f/40c/35p split. I'd also say that you would do well with 2000 kcals.

If I was going to make up a diet plan for myself in your situation, I'd get about 1-1.2g/lb protein (158-190g), ~60g fat, and the rest carbs. That would put your carbs between 185-220g. Your energy levels won't suffer at that range.

carlossalsa8
02-11-2004, 06:22 PM
Why is 7lbs the magic number?

Anyhow, a lot of people advocate diets in the 40f/20c/40p or 33f/33c/33p range for cutting. With your active lifestyle I would suggest you go with the latter or perhaps even a 25f/40c/35p split. I'd also say that you would do well with 2000 kcals.

If I was going to make up a diet plan for myself in your situation, I'd get about 1-1.2g/lb protein (158-190g), ~60g fat, and the rest carbs. That would put your carbs between 185-220g. Your energy levels won't suffer at that range.

My body fat percent is at about 10 or 11. I have like 19 to 22 pounds of fat. I just did some calculations. if I wanna make the two last pacs look as the others I came up with the answer or I should say I am guessing ( cuz I don't know if I did the right calculations.) 7 pounds would be enough to have a perfect six pack. I usually eat more that 40 % of carbs, and not much pro nor fat. I am having problems with proteins because I don't know wut to eat. Carbs are easy to eat, I usually eat wheat bread, begel, turkey slice, fruits vegetables, lots of water, milk non-fat, cereal, oatmeal. Should I lower the carbs intake in order to make my goal happen , or it won't matter if eat carbs as long as I run and do my routine? Will I still lose fat by eating mostly carbs? I run for an hour and use a lot of energy which comes from the carbs. My point is should I lower it or keep it as it is?

galileo
02-11-2004, 06:34 PM
You can download my body composition calculator (http://www.hollowmedia.com/bodycomp04.zip) for future calculations.

At 10% you should have a nice outline and by 8% you should be fairly pleased. To get to 8% you need to lose 5lbs.

Go to fitday.com and estimate your calories. To get some extra protein, tuna, chicken, cottage cheese, turkey, egg whites, meal replacement powders, or lean beef are all good sources.

I'd follow the guidelines I gave you for a bit and see how you feel. If you aren't feeling low on energy, you're doing fine.

I'd also investigate interval cardio rather than running for an hour. Search for HIIT and you'll get loads of posts!

Good luck.

carlossalsa8
02-11-2004, 06:41 PM
You can download my body composition calculator (http://www.hollowmedia.com/bodycomp04.zip) for future calculations.

At 10% you should have a nice outline and by 8% you should be fairly pleased. To get to 8% you need to lose 5lbs.

Go to fitday.com and estimate your calories. To get some extra protein, tuna, chicken, cottage cheese, turkey, egg whites, meal replacement powders, or lean beef are all good sources.

I'd follow the guidelines I gave you for a bit and see how you feel. If you aren't feeling low on energy, you're doing fine.

I'd also investigate interval cardio rather than running for an hour. Search for HIIT and you'll get loads of posts!

Good luck.

Thanks for your help. You cleared out some of my thoughts, but how about the weight. I am consuming a lot of carbs, ( because of the running) will it affect my goal? I mean I know carbs get you fat if you don't exercise. Many people go on a low carbs diet to drop weight. It's kind of confusing and I eat carbs cuz of the energy and of course, carbs are delicious. Will it affect my goal to drop 5 or 7 pounds? Thanks for the ideas I will follow the ratios for a while and see wut happens. How many cals a day should I take in then?

galileo
02-11-2004, 06:55 PM
Carbs won't make or break your diet, the calories will. Although getting cleaner carbs(fibrous) and restricting them slightly will assist in your goals.

I'd try 2000-2200 calories and see if you make progress. Also, search for "leptin" and "refeeding." Once you hit a plateu you may need to incorporate these to keep your fat loss going.

No problem and good luck.

carlossalsa8
02-11-2004, 07:00 PM
Carbs won't make or break your diet, the calories will. Although getting cleaner carbs(fibrous) and restricting them slightly will assist in your goals.

I'd try 2000-2200 calories and see if you make progress. Also, search for "leptin" and "refeeding." Once you hit a plateu you may need to incorporate these to keep your fat loss going.

thank you again!! We will see wut happen. See ya.

carlossalsa8
02-13-2004, 12:01 AM

"leptin" and "refeeding." Once you hit a plateu you may need to incorporate these to keep your fat loss going.???

Could you be more specific, I don't get it.

Saint Patrick
02-13-2004, 12:25 AM
Leptin and Refeeding (http://www.theministryoffitness.com/mof/library/articles/article18.htm)