PDA

View Full Version : first post. Pic inc + a few questions. NEWBIE.

vineswingman
02-11-2004, 06:58 PM
this is my first post. I have yet to begin lifting. still working on cardio to loose some body fat, i begin to start bulking march 1st.

I could probably lose about 10lbs of fat, but plan to lose about 3-4 before mar 1st.

about 4 years ago, i was a real porker, i weighed about 195lbs, now I weigh right around 160. When I was in my best shape I weighed 150. I have never attempted bulking until now, I have just been satisfied with not being a lard-ass. The fat came off pretty easily, but in the last year or so I've been lazy and gained a little back.

I have a few (newbie) questions though... I was looking at the wannabebig routine and noticed, for example, on day one it seems like it'd only take me about 10-15 mins to get through the recommended reps. Shouldn't I be working out for more like an hour each day?

Also, where can I get some good information on dieting.. I have trouble eating lots of protine in a day, and not getting sick of eating the same things everyday. I eat a tuna fish sandwhich daily, and have been eating a lot of chicken at night. I should start drinking protein shakes and eating protein bars when i start to bulk shouldn't I? Any other recommendations?

Any recources for a good diet with lots of high-protein foods?

http://andalitenw.hypermart.net/pic.jpg

Max-Mex
02-11-2004, 07:02 PM
Good starting point. You have potential.

WBB#1: If should take around an hour to finish any day of WBB#1.

Diet Info: Goto the diet forum. Do a search for whatever you want. Lots o info there.

Protein: Try to get it from food, but if you can't have an extra shake or 2.

Max-Mex
02-11-2004, 07:03 PM
One more thing, start a journal here and keep a diet log as well. In case you run into any problems, people here can look at your journal and see what can be improved, if needed.

vineswingman
02-11-2004, 07:37 PM
cool, thanks for the advice, i'll keep a journal and diet log.

I guess I'm still confused on the length of the routine.
For example, again, day 1:

Chest

Flat Barbell Bench Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
Low Incline Dumbbell Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
Dips : 2 x 6-8 reps

Back

Chin ups : 2 x 6-8 reps
Deadlifts : 2 x 6-8 reps
Barbell Rows : 2 x 6-8 reps
Shrugs : 1 x 10 reps

I imagine each set would take around 1-2 minutes. Am I just mistakin'? Even if every set took 2 minutes, that's 26 mins total + rest inbetween. Also, where can i find detailed descriptions of the excercizes, i do not recognize all of them.

thanks for the tips, this forum seems like a great place!

EDIT: my goals are to get my body to about like antec: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=38885

how much of a timeframe with proper work should I expect to get from where I am at to there? Should I change my workout from the routine #1? Should I cut more before I start to bulk or just start bulking now? Is more cardio involved to keep a lean look? I like the lean-but muscular look.

thanks guys

Saint Patrick
02-11-2004, 08:58 PM
You're not going to look like antec.

What I mean is, that his body is shaped differently than yours.

Don't aspire to look like someone else, aspire to look like a better YOU. Good luck.

Allenronm
02-11-2004, 09:02 PM
You're not going to look like antec.

Don't aspire to look like someone else, aspire to look like a better YOU. Good luck.

I don't usually agree with many people on here, but that was right on.

well said.

vineswingman
02-11-2004, 10:26 PM

I meant his muscle/fat levels, his was the best example I could find on the forum. That's my goal. Of course I'm not trying to be somebody else, but I see how you could think that.

Saint Patrick
02-11-2004, 10:52 PM
My best advice to you is to read the hell out of this site. That's what I did when I started out a couple years ago and I've had pretty damn good results using the info I learned here.

Crystallio
02-12-2004, 12:05 AM
I imagine each set would take around 1-2 minutes. Am I just mistakin'? Even if every set took 2 minutes, that's 26 mins total + rest inbetween.

I thought the same thing before I started on WBB 1 in September. If you lift heavy, it'll probably take you longer than you're expecting. Each workout generally takes me 45-55 minutes.

Also, where can i find detailed descriptions of the excercizes, i do not recognize all of them.

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Sasa
02-12-2004, 08:52 AM
Hmm you are a lucky ass, my workouts take me too long :scratch:
Start doing 3 sets, and each set should be a pyramid: first do 20 repetitions with low weight for warm-up, then the actuall training, 8 with maximal weight you can handle, (!without losing your form!) ... then 12 with less weight, (the middle between the maximal and warm-up weight)... and 15 - 20 with the weight you warmed-up for eg. .... those last 15-20 must lead you to total failiure, if not, then you are too strong for the weight you picked in the excersise :strong: (!do your excercises slowly, no momentum, controlled in place!)... when it's done, rest, like a minute or so, and 2 times more ... 3 sets :thumbup: ... the second will probably be hard and almost impossible to get all the reps.. and the 3. is a f***er .

Now rest for 3 minutes ap. ... and get on to the next body part ...

Like you already surely now, before you start to train, you stretch, and go on some cardio-thingie... run/drive/jump for ap. 10 - 15 min... and then go do some muscle training... after that, for warm-off, do some cardio once more... then go home, eat some chicken or drink a protein shake, and rest for a day ...

As for Antek's physique, I ain't realy 100% sure what he is doing, but you should get a broader shoulder frame, some are blessed with it (i think)... to do that, you should train Trapezius muscles, rear, side and front deltoids... as more you train, the less fat you have... 3 times a week minimal :hello: ...

vineswingman
02-13-2004, 12:06 AM
Start doing 3 sets, and each set should be a pyramid: first do 20 repetitions with low weight for warm-up, then the actuall training, 8 with maximal weight you can handle, (!without losing your form!) ... then 12 with less weight, (the middle between the maximal and warm-up weight)... and 15 - 20 with the weight you warmed-up for eg. .... those last 15-20 must lead you to total failiure, if not, then you are too strong for the weight you picked in the excersise :strong: (!do your excercises slowly, no momentum, controlled in place!)... when it's done, rest, like a minute or so, and 2 times more ... 3 sets :thumbup: ... the second will probably be hard and almost impossible to get all the reps.. and the 3. is a f***er .

Like you already surely now, before you start to train, you stretch, and go on some cardio-thingie... run/drive/jump for ap. 10 - 15 min... and then go do some muscle training... after that, for warm-off, do some cardio once more... then go home, eat some chicken or drink a protein shake, and rest for a day ...

As for Antek's physique, I ain't realy 100% sure what he is doing, but you should get a broader shoulder frame, some are blessed with it (i think)... to do that, you should train Trapezius muscles, rear, side and front deltoids... as more you train, the less fat you have... 3 times a week minimal :hello: ...

wow thanks dude, that advice is really really helpful, and I would have never thought to change the weights like that. Thanks a ton!

Question: I'm new in town and dont have anyone to work out with, are guys in gyms usually pretty cool about spotting when you need a guy to ?

tigerroar
02-17-2004, 05:57 AM
where are all of the muscles??????

HahnB
02-17-2004, 05:32 PM

It's not always optimal to train to failure every set, every day you train. I don't see the point in doing a set of 15-20 reps after your working sets. If your goal is to train till failure, then your working sets should accomplish that.

When you figure in the time it takes to change plates, adjust the bench, drink water, move the bar height etc.... your workouts will take longer than just figuring in X number of sets times 2 minutes each.

PedestrianX
02-18-2004, 06:03 PM
Your calves look good fomr what i can see