PDA

View Full Version : Can I train while on antibiotic?

mantis
02-11-2004, 08:12 PM
Greetings,

I have to take antibiotic for the next 10 days due to a sinus infection. Should I continue to train while taking it? I did a back workout today, and I could lift the same amount of weight as before. However, I couldn't do that many sets. I feel like running out of gas after only 30 min of training.

Should just not train at all for the next 10 days or should I just keep on training but make the session shorter?

I'd appericate any feedback!

Mantis

andy51
02-11-2004, 09:21 PM
I would think that you should be alright, but if you're not sure call the doc that prescribed you the meds.

mantis
02-11-2004, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the comment.

I did asked the doctor if I can workout, and he said I shouldn't. However, I am not sure if that is just a standard answer that he gives to everyone, or if there are any real medical reason behind it.

DokterVet
02-11-2004, 09:28 PM
I've been on antibiotics off and on for the past 5 months. Kept working out and progressing. I say just keep working out. But then again I'm no doctor.

The_Blackstar
02-11-2004, 09:46 PM
I was once taking antibiotics for a severe tonsil infection. I was pretty sick from the infection itself, but the antibiotics were slowly helping. One day I decided to hit the weights and did a mean session of deadlifts. The next day my condition totally relapsed and I was forced to add another type of antibiotic to the one i was already taking. I guess the moral of the story is that by exerting yourself like that, you are less likely to heal quickly.

Optimum08
02-11-2004, 09:48 PM
usually i would be a hardass and tell you to work through it and shorten your workouts, but if your doctor told you to take it easy for 10 days and hearing what Theblackstar had to say it may be best for you to just get back and then go hardcore

Cromm
02-12-2004, 07:37 AM
This issue isn't with the antibiotic, its with the sinus infection you are fighting. You don't realize it but your body is spending a tremendous amount of energy fighting the infection, that's why you are experiencing fatigue early in your workouts. In very simple terms, if you spend a lot of energy training, you'll have left energy to fight your sinus infection and it could get worse, but this is unlikely.

I'd say take a few days off, and when you start up again take it slow. Listen to your body and if the sinus infection starts to get worse or stops improving, then stop training all together and just get yourself better.

Cromm

Behemoth
02-12-2004, 02:33 PM
Generally when I'm sick if I try to train vigorously through it it ends up prolonging the sickness. I usually just take a few days off, or take it real easy.

peloton
02-13-2004, 06:48 PM
Antibiotics have a catabolic effect on the body. This means it wastes muscle. You are also recovering from an infection, which is taking away from your body's resources. Training could take away from your resources being used to fight off the infection by running yourself down too far. I certainly have trained individuals on antibiotics, but if your doc told you to cool it then it is probably for the best. Recover from your illness, and then pour 100% of yourself back into your training when you are ready to do so. Basically, heal first and then work on getting stronger.

Behemoth
02-13-2004, 11:02 PM
Antibiotics have a catabolic effect on the body. This means it wastes muscle.

That seems like an awfully general statement. All antibiotics do? And not that I'm disagreeing with you, I'd like to see studies on this.

chris mason
02-14-2004, 08:27 AM
Antibiotics have a catabolic effect? News to me.

If you are on antibiotics it is (hopefully, but sadly they are overprescribed in this country) due to the fact you are suffering from a bacterial infection of some sort. This infection requires a great deal of your body's recuperative powers to be used towards healing. Training saps your body of energy which may be used towards such matters, thus training at these times can be counterproductive as the fellow who metioned his deadlift fiasco can attest to.

mantis
02-14-2004, 11:11 AM
Thanks for all the comments. I have decided to take a few days off. I'm actually feeling better. I don't know if that's from the medicine or just from resting. Anyway, will hit the gym hard again next week.

mercury
02-14-2004, 11:41 AM
Exercise is known to boost the immune system, when done in moderation. If you over do it, it can suppress your immunity. Train light, and train short.