PDA

View Full Version : Best way to lose BF?

fmanning
02-11-2004, 10:09 PM
As I stated in a different post elsewhere, I've gotten to the point where I need to focus 100% on losing weight/fat. Right now I'm 6'2" and hovering around 255lbs. I would never call myself obese...but I have a sizeable stomach and noticable body fat in areas.

All I want to do is eat better, and do lots of cardio. Right now, I have the cardio part on lock - I go close to an hour everyday on the elliptical.

The question remains - what should I eat?

Should I follow the masses & eat an Atkins-esque diet filled with protein & low carbs, or should I just focus on eating healthier in general (low sat fats, low fats, low calories)?

It's very hard for me...I have a very addictive personality, which is the reason why I'm fat to begin with.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on my situation?

carlossalsa8
02-12-2004, 12:42 AM
If you wanna lose fat, you should eat clean food, period. About the cardio, if you are doing cardio, that is the best way to lose weight in my opinion. I play soccer and run a lot. My routine is pretty strong and tiring. I have to eat lots of carbs, actually, my diet mostly consist of carbs. ( wheat breads, begel, milk, FRUITS, VEGETABLES, cereal and more food). Carbs give you energy, performance and they won't make you get fat. Exess in calories will. Many people say carbs make you fat, it is true, but only when you don't exercise enough( just wanted to make a point). You said you do cardio on the elliptical for about a hour right? You should stop using the machines and start running normally. Try to run normally and then go used the machines, you will feel the difference it is much easier to use the machines than running normally ( basically wut I meant is that running normally is better and will give you better results). How many cals do u eat a day? carbs? pro? fat? Wutz ur goal? If you really wanna lose weight you should have self control and willpower. Eat clean and let me know wut are your goals, maybe I could help. I am not a nutrinionist but have learned a lot from this forum. Try to follow the diet you named for a while and see if it works.

TheGimp
02-12-2004, 05:16 AM
The best diet would be one you can stick to. I'm sure if you did it right a ketogenic diet would bring results but people are also successful following a more balanced diet. As far as details, well, do some reading and come up with a meal plan which can be critiqued.

You should stop using the machines and start running normally.

Using an elliptical would be far better for joints than running especially on surfaces such as concrete.

galileo
02-12-2004, 06:20 AM
I'm with TheGimp on both counts. Running normally is horrible unless you're on soft ground and even then it's not great.

Do some searches on HIIT and cutting. You're going to pull up plenty of information!

carlossalsa8
02-12-2004, 02:23 PM
I'm with TheGimp on both counts. Running normally is horrible unless you're on soft ground and even then it's not great.

Do some searches on HIIT and cutting. You're going to pull up plenty of information!

Running is horrible for beginers, but once you get used to it, it will be part of ur routine. I think running is better to lose fat in my opinion. But you are right about the HORRIBLE but it goes only to the ones who are beggining to run.

fmanning
02-12-2004, 10:18 PM
I'm definitely not a 'runner', and it would take a long time of constant cardio & strength training if I ever wished to become one. Not only do I have a bad back, I also have bad knees, one of which has patellar tendonitis. The elliptical is great for me, because I never experience any pain. Sure, it's not as envigorating as an actual run, but I don't need to punish my joints any more than they need to be punished. At the end of any elliptical session, I'm in a pretty heavy sweat, I feel energized, and I can feel the good burn in my legs. Obviously, I've achieved the ideal end result without any unnecessary pain.

As far as nutrition goals, I think my first goal is to cut down on the foods that are bad. I think that just taking that basic step, combined with plenty of cardio, should get me well on my way. If I get to the point where I really want to get my body fat low (like under 8%) then I'll take a closer look at what I eat. Up until now I've been a constant burger & fries kind of guy. Right now, Pizza is my biggest vice. Thankfully, it's not as bad as fast-food like McD's (and I now eat only whole-wheat pizzas), but it's not exactly good for me either.

I just thought I'd seek out any advice I could get. The whole Atkins fad has got me all confused as to what I should eat. I'm leaning towards using protein shakes as a steady part of my diet. With my current work schedule, it works well for breakfast & lunch, and I found some protein shakes at a nutrition store that were VERY low in carbs.

Defkon1
02-15-2004, 10:21 AM
Ive suffered with this same problem of how to drop body fat. Ive noticed a difference beign 31 than I did at 25 for losing bady fat but I generally find that running for me along with a balanced diet will bring about results for me.

I also find that any diet thats is higher than 2500cals is very bad for me in terms of keeping away the body fat.

This is me tho

carlossalsa8
02-16-2004, 02:01 PM
I'm definitely not a 'runner', and it would take a long time of constant cardio & strength training if I ever wished to become one. Not only do I have a bad back, I also have bad knees, one of which has patellar tendonitis. The elliptical is great for me, because I never experience any pain. Sure, it's not as envigorating as an actual run, but I don't need to punish my joints any more than they need to be punished. At the end of any elliptical session, I'm in a pretty heavy sweat, I feel energized, and I can feel the good burn in my legs. Obviously, I've achieved the ideal end result without any unnecessary pain.

As far as nutrition goals, I think my first goal is to cut down on the foods that are bad. I think that just taking that basic step, combined with plenty of cardio, should get me well on my way. If I get to the point where I really want to get my body fat low (like under 8%) then I'll take a closer look at what I eat. Up until now I've been a constant burger & fries kind of guy. Right now, Pizza is my biggest vice. Thankfully, it's not as bad as fast-food like McD's (and I now eat only whole-wheat pizzas), but it's not exactly good for me either.

I just thought I'd seek out any advice I could get. The whole Atkins fad has got me all confused as to what I should eat. I'm leaning towards using protein shakes as a steady part of my diet. With my current work schedule, it works well for breakfast & lunch, and I found some protein shakes at a nutrition store that were VERY low in carbs.

I don't like to run!! seriously, but I have gotten use to it ( I had to get used to it since I play soccer) I am not saying elliptical machines are bad or don't work. Wut I am saying is that real running might work better, and will give you better results ( in my opinion). I would try to run in the elliptical three to four days a week and one day real running. Just give it a try and see wut happens. ( real running will make you get tired faster, legs will hurt and will be really hard to get the endurance but everything starts little by little) Just try to change ur cardio so that your body could be able to burn more fat by using differents types of cardio. Stick with wut you like most.