PDA

View Full Version : Me Being Curious

Saturday Fever
02-12-2004, 02:17 PM
Westside is based a lot on the writing and studies done by Dr. Siff (and others of course) and it seems to produce the biggest squatters in the world. And yet, applying that same science, it doesn't produce the biggest benchers in the world. (assuming metal militia still produces the biggest benchers)

So my question is, I guess, why is the science dead-on for squats, but not so dead on for bench? Or is it simply a matter of what these guys focus on more?

JuniorMint6669
02-12-2004, 03:50 PM
I was wondering the same thing actually. I was thinking, "if metal militia produces such great benchers, why cant we apply their same principles to squatting and get the same results?"

NateDogg
02-12-2004, 05:03 PM
Or is it simply a matter of what these guys focus on more?

This would have been my guess.

Chris Rodgers
02-12-2004, 06:42 PM
There are a lot of different factors.

First, Westside does produce a lot of the top benchers in the world! Halbert, Patterson, Fusner, Boldt and many more(including some of the top women benchers).

Many of the Metal Militia guys focus a lot more attention on benching then 3-lifts. Of course there are exceptions, but I know for a fact if someone like Kenny Patterson took 1 year to just work on bench training and doing only bench meets he'd be way up there too. I think the best all-time bench in a 3-lift meet is Mike Miller's 750, so you can see compared to the best ever bench only(900), there is a big difference.

Also, most of the Westside guys don't arch(mostly to save the back for deadlifts and also some believe it can cause injuries). A good arch greatly reduces the ROM and when one uses it well can increase the bench a good bit(myself included).

I think they both train with what works for them. I know guys from each "style" get together and train and help each other, so they are definitely not closed-minded to other ideas. I notice a lot of the Westside guys are now doing more gear-work in training, just as the Militia guys advocate.

Eric Adolph
02-12-2004, 07:30 PM
Good post CR ......

Also, WSB's JL Holdsworth benched 700 (after squatting 875) at 275 not too long ago. Harldy any people have benched 700 in a full meet (especally at 275 or under), and most of the ones who have are from WestSide (Patterson, Jerry O, Holdsworth).

There are a lot of different factors.

First, Westside does produce a lot of the top benchers in the world! Halbert, Patterson, Fusner, Boldt and many more(including some of the top women benchers).

Many of the Metal Militia guys focus a lot more attention on benching then 3-lifts. Of course there are exceptions, but I know for a fact if someone like Kenny Patterson took 1 year to just work on bench training and doing only bench meets he'd be way up there too. I think the best all-time bench in a 3-lift meet is Mike Miller's 750, so you can see compared to the best ever bench only(900), there is a big difference.

Also, most of the Westside guys don't arch(mostly to save the back for deadlifts and also some believe it can cause injuries). A good arch greatly reduces the ROM and when one uses it well can increase the bench a good bit(myself included).

I think they both train with what works for them. I know guys from each "style" get together and train and help each other, so they are definitely not closed-minded to other ideas. I notice a lot of the Westside guys are now doing more gear-work in training, just as the Militia guys advocate.

Anthony
02-13-2004, 04:15 AM
Welcome aboard Eric!! I'm a big fan of the Team Taylor videos - great motivation!

Eric Adolph
02-14-2004, 10:46 PM
Welcome aboard Eric!! I'm a big fan of the Team Taylor videos - great motivation!

Thanks man ..... Glad ya like the vidoes !!