PDA

View Full Version : Tuna Alternatives

illa_noize
02-13-2004, 03:51 PM
Okay, all this damn mercury talk in Tuna is breaking my heart. So, for a rebound, can ya'll suggest a quick and easy food to take with you while at work? I need to snack in between my breakfast and lunch to keep my calorie intake up and protien high, and I'm thinking about phasing out tuna all together. Let me know if you guys have something quick to make that I can throw in a baggie and munch on for a snack. Thanks.

andy51
02-13-2004, 04:09 PM
You can buy canned chicken. It has like 75g Protein per can. You could also make some protein bars.

Ebu
02-13-2004, 04:43 PM
Bring some lunchmeat with you

manowar669
02-13-2004, 04:46 PM
Screw the canned chicken! That stuff comes out to about $7 per pound if you figure it out (and it tastes really salty to me). Just buy a bulk pack of chicken breasts at the grocery store (like $2 a pound that way), and cook em all together for the week. I just dump the whole pack in a pot of boiling water for 20 minutes or so. Keep em in a tupperware container in the 'fridge. They're fine all week, and they keep at room temp if you don't contaminate them. You can use them a million different ways. Just eat your tuna though, it won't kill ya.
Oh, and lunchmeat is the devil.

Jasonl
02-13-2004, 05:23 PM
1 can a day for 50 years probably won't do anything. If you're worried, just eat it for 3 weeks, then take a week away from it and use the chicken during the "tuna off-week".

Ack
02-13-2004, 06:50 PM
I'd definitely suggest the bumble bee skinless boneless salmon.

Jasonl
02-14-2004, 11:47 AM
I'd definitely suggest the bumble bee skinless boneless salmon.
Salmon is a good alternative, too. Lower mercury levels coupled with higher levels of o-3 fatty acids.

Dedicated
02-14-2004, 01:02 PM
Turkey.

Exnor
02-14-2004, 03:46 PM
Scottish salmon has been found to contain all kinds of chemicals... I guess you dont have to worry about that in the US.

I believe sardines contain a much lower mercury level than Tuna, perhaps this is a good alternative. Or just suppliment your fish meal with fish oil capsules, and eat some poultry or something of equavalent nutritional value.

PedestrianX
02-14-2004, 04:40 PM
Ground Beef?

cwm
02-14-2004, 04:55 PM
kinda OT: but whats wrong with lunch meats?? I tried doing a search but didnt find anything.

JustinASU
02-14-2004, 07:36 PM
perservatives, sugars, fat to protein ratio etc. Some are okay, like turkey breast.

JTyrell710
02-14-2004, 10:23 PM
ground beef - potentially unhealthy because, with the thousands of cows (little bits) in each can, one affected cow can contaminate thousandds of cans, therefore they are suceptile for carrying disease an **** like that
****in mad cow type stuff

shootermcgavin7
02-15-2004, 12:10 AM
ground beef - potentially unhealthy because, with the thousands of cows (little bits) in each can, one affected cow can contaminate thousandds of cans, therefore they are suceptile for carrying disease an **** like that
****in mad cow type stuff

Mad Cow is only carried in the brain or spinal cord, parts that are cut out before it is sent to US beef wholesalers.

Unless you're eating cow brains, you don't have much to worry about.

shootermcgavin7
02-15-2004, 12:39 AM
Oh and in case anyone was considering it; If you want canned turkey, you might as well lick a dog's ass. They both taste like ****.

illa_noize
02-17-2004, 03:28 PM
Did the breast thing. I grabbed a bag of chopped up chicken breast from Sam's Club and heated up about 6 or 7 of them and put them in a container. Worked pretty well. I didn't boil them though. Is that really good? I was about to do it, and my mother was like....that is going to be nasty, do it this way. So, I listened to my mama. Just wondering if that boiling thing really works?

GiantKiller50
02-17-2004, 03:44 PM
ive never heard of any benefits of boiling as opposed to grilling or baking etc, i just think its an easy way to cook a lot of chicken at once, but it would be bland as hell

i defrost the chicken place 6- 10 breasts on a big pan, season em just how i like, and broil in the oven, since its cold as sh*t in chicago and grilling is out of the question, i also hear alot of props for the foreman grills

Cardinal
02-18-2004, 08:03 AM
To get something as cheap as tuna, your best bet may be something like jack mackerel but if you are mercuryphobic, all fish may pose the same problem. Plus the mackerel could be tough to stomach.

It is tough to beat .33 a can for tuna.

In that case maybe bring MPI(milk protein isolate) or some soy product if cost is the main issue. Plant based soy can always be had inexpensively. Dead animals will run you more. Hard boiled eggs work well too.

Khar
02-18-2004, 07:07 PM
I just get my bags of chicken, put em in a pan with some olive oil and some garlic salt and seasoning salt and fry em up...mmm