PDA

View Full Version : Working out hungover?

bentkarnes
02-14-2004, 04:24 PM
I follow the WBB1 routine, so usually my weekends are my days off, but I fell in love with those deadlifts, they are doing wonders for my back. So on saturday I like to do a bunch of em but I like to get carried away on my friday nights and that usually makes for a rough saturday morning. Is it worth working out when your hungover? Would my body not even see any benifits since It's pretty much destroyed from the night before? These arent 'making out with the toilet' hangovers, just usualy a slight headache and some good ol' dehydration.
beer --> :whip: <--- me

harryhoudini66
02-14-2004, 04:26 PM
I am not sure, but I worked out once while I was drunk. It was a crazy feeling.

Sorry I could not answer your question.

PedestrianX
02-14-2004, 04:30 PM
Just got back from a slightly hungover workout. I think if you are not hungover bad enough that you dont want to go workout it can't be too bad.

Maki Riddington
02-14-2004, 04:45 PM
For me, if I've had a couple drinks my workouts are awful the next day. In terms of growth, rest up, a workout won't do ya much good.

ItalianGalleon
02-14-2004, 07:21 PM
I don't know about progress while hungover, but working out while hungover often makes the hangover go away completely. I don't know about something big like deadlifts, though.

bentkarnes
02-14-2004, 08:05 PM
well I faught the hangover and worked out, did my mondays chest/back routine and I would have to agree, I do feel alot better, better enough to go back out tonight. As far as any progress I feel the same after a usual workout, and my workout seemed to not suffer at all.

But on another note... After you workout I always look alot bigger, all my muscles get nice and defined and buffed looking, but of course the next day or even later that night they slowly go back to normal, whats going on that causes this 'brief buffness' , just curiious of whats going on.

Songsangnim
02-14-2004, 09:11 PM
But on another note... After you workout I always look alot bigger, all my muscles get nice and defined and buffed looking, but of course the next day or even later that night they slowly go back to normal, whats going on that causes this 'brief buffness' , just curiious of whats going on.

This "brief buffness" is caused by the increased blood flow in your muscles when you workout. The muscles are swollen temporarily because of this.

TiGeR AK
02-15-2004, 04:04 AM
yea i always FEEL better working out hungover.. maybe all the toxins getting flushed out as you sweat..

but as for actual growth.. like they say, it takes 24 hours before your protein synthesis comes back so..

ItalianGalleon
02-15-2004, 08:55 AM
Looks like this thread just might come in handy today.

cwm
02-15-2004, 09:08 AM
haha i was just wondering the exact same thing. I have a pretty bad hang over right now and am contemplating working out today.

wrestlemaniac
02-15-2004, 09:14 AM
I am not sure, but I worked out once while I was drunk.

Grrrr....

My friends usually come over and drink at my house and they like to play with my weights and work out while they're drunk. Total pet peeve of mine... The way I see it it's a pretty much guarenteed injury when you're working out all drunk too.

DragonRider
02-15-2004, 09:38 AM
It would add new meaning to the phrase squat till you puke.

One set. Puke. OK, we're done.

Ebu
02-15-2004, 09:47 AM
I usually feel better after workout on a hangover morning.

chris mason
02-15-2004, 09:56 AM
Ok, first off, if you are not allergic to aspirin a great preventative for a hangover is to drink several glasses of water and take an aspirin right before you hit the bed.

Next, when I was in college I can remember a particular night where I drank a lot and got very little sleep. A buddy of mine and I had gone to Tucson from Phoenix. The next day I felt a bit poor and we drove back to Phoenix. I had a bit of a nap that afternoon and hit the gym for legs at about 3-4 P.M. I had a great workout. I have never found drinking the night before to hurt my workouts.

Now, I am not advocating heavy drinking, I hardly ever drink alcohol at all. I am trying to answer the question given.

Just make sure you are no longer drunk before you train. The lack of coordination from being drunk could spell disaster!

mercury
02-15-2004, 10:00 AM
Remember that drinking dehydrates you, so be sure to drinks lots of water while working out.

BCC
02-15-2004, 10:45 AM
Like Chris has said, in the past I've never had it hinder my workouts. I recall quite a few SLDL PRs while slightly hungover.