PDA

View Full Version : The trickiest question of the day on WBB Diet

littleman69
09-25-2001, 11:57 AM
What happens when you eat a low GI food and a high GI food? Do they counteract and become moderate GI? How can you back this up?

Also, what happens if you eat complex carbs and simple carbs together in a meal? Do you get that high peak of energy, then feel like **** (a trait of simple carbs), and then have a steady rise and a steady fall (attributed to complex carbs), or again, do they counteract each other? If it's the first option, then I'll have to pass up on dessert from now on. I hate this feeling.

I look forward to intelligent answers.

hemants
09-25-2001, 12:18 PM
Good question!

The answer comes down to whether the fast digesting carb (eg. sugar) can speed the digestion of the low GI carb. I would think not. Thus, I believe it would be as you said, the high GI would digest quickly, and the low GI would digest slowly. Both acting independant of each other.

The GI of a carb is as much a structural/physical thing as it is a molecular thing. Baked yams have a higher GI than raw yams. Thus, from that perspective, what could sugar possibly do to a yam to break it down any quicker?

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-25-2001, 01:09 PM
yeah that makes sense.

littleman69
09-25-2001, 01:29 PM
I get that, but how would the energy experienced by the user be like? Energy like that of a simple carb, complex carb, or both, or perhaps a mix? Do I make sense?

littleman69
09-26-2001, 08:47 AM
hump

Tryska
09-26-2001, 08:50 AM
i thought this was already answered, but you would get that sugar high from the high gi carb first, and i'm guessing you wouldn't crash lik you would if it was just the high gi, because by the time that was to happen, the low gi would be releasing into the bloodstream.

pastdoubt
09-26-2001, 07:02 PM
If this is true... then in theory wouldn't it be it more benificial to consume both?

Tryska
09-26-2001, 07:06 PM
that would depend on your goals. if your cutting, no - because that insulin spike promotes fat storage. if your bulking perhaps.

littleman69
09-26-2001, 11:32 PM
since when does an insulin spike promote fat loss? if anything it slows it down, it definetely does not halt it, but it will not store fat per se.

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-27-2001, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by Tryska
no - because that insulin spike promotes fat storage.

What are you reading littleman?

Cackerot69
09-27-2001, 05:28 AM
Don't overworry yourself about GI. It's not as big a deal as people make it out to be.

Maki Riddington
09-27-2001, 06:46 AM
I agree with Sir Cackerot.

littleman69
09-27-2001, 08:30 AM
Ok that's cool cack . But I would like to know the answer regardless of GI. And plus, part of the question was not GI related. Please, if you can answer it, please do - and only then tell me about its relevance/importance. That would really help in the future.

Ronan
09-27-2001, 03:08 PM
If GI doesnt make much of a difference Cack we might as well all eat sugar for our carbs all day:rolleyes:

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-27-2001, 03:16 PM
ace.

Cackerot69
09-27-2001, 05:44 PM
You just proved me right Ronan. Good work.

Most simple sugars are low GI.

The kind of carbs matter, just not the GI.

littleman69
09-28-2001, 02:44 AM
Cack - let's keep this short. Do you know the answer to the questions? If not, spare yourself the typing, and maybe someone else might answer it without the need of brushing off my question as unimportant.

littleman69
09-28-2001, 08:03 AM
Bump for anyone willing to answer without wasting their time bitchin.

Cackerot69
09-28-2001, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by littleman69
Cack - let's keep this short. Do you know the answer to the questions?

Yes.

Tryska
09-28-2001, 01:28 PM
actually...he answered the question.......

but can i ask you one? how come you ask people for advice and then question everything they say like you already knew the answer?

littleman69
09-28-2001, 01:40 PM
I try to squeeze all the info I can as I aspire to someday be half as knowledgeable as cack - but unlike him I will have put it to practice and it will be evident.

Tryska
09-28-2001, 01:41 PM
oh okay. good luck with that then.

littleman69
09-29-2001, 05:09 AM
Anyone that knows the answer, please post it.

Cackerot69
09-29-2001, 06:14 PM
Perhaps you should consider what I said?

MissAbs
10-01-2001, 03:38 AM
I can''t decide if you really want an answer or if you are just wanting people to think.......

Guess I will just watch and see what comes out of this thread before my 2C.

littleman69
10-04-2001, 10:51 AM
who messed with my post?
anyway, it's funny how all you guys do is reply with ANYTHING but the answer. I just think you just don't know it ???

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-04-2001, 10:53 AM
the question has been answered.

littleman69
10-04-2001, 12:10 PM
not really chicken - just because it was said that the question was answered doesn't really mean that. All cackerot went into was the importance of GI. There was more to the question than that. Please, reread it before posting comments like that !!

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-04-2001, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by hemants

The answer comes down to whether the fast digesting carb (eg. sugar) can speed the digestion of the low GI carb. I would think not. Thus, I believe it would be as you said, the high GI would digest quickly, and the low GI would digest slowly. Both acting independant of each other.

Cackerot69
10-04-2001, 02:14 PM
You're right littleman, none of us here actually no the answer.

That was mean. (pjs)

body
10-04-2001, 02:23 PM
cack wrote "Most simple sugars are low GI. "
sucrose is not low GI.

Cackerot69
10-04-2001, 02:31 PM
It's not high.

lmao Paul.

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-04-2001, 02:41 PM
Pauly: :swear:

p.s. what does the J stand for?

oh, and :swear:

Paul Stagg
10-04-2001, 03:10 PM
The J stands for my middle name.

body
10-04-2001, 03:10 PM
GI does make a differnece however the GI does not take into account the % of carbs in the food. eg carrot has a high GI of 92, but as carrot contains only 6 grams of carbs per 100 grams.

You would have to eat 400 grams of carrots to get a similar insulin effect and blood sugar level as eating 50 grams of glucose.
This is why some do not take to much account to it as it does not consider volume of food.

When food are combined of low and high GI then it alters the total GI of the meal as well. This is as the GI will be 50 grams of carbs from the meal when 50 grams are eaten. so you the volume of food may give you a quick insulin surge but will be prolonged by other carbs enetering the blood stream latter.
when comibing different foods. different food effect how quick the food is passed through the stomach and upper intestine. If one food slow down this rate the hole GI will be lowered. Even though allthe other foos but one ingredients could have a high GI.

Some sugar like frucotse also do not need insulin to be transported into tissues. This is as they are metabolized by a non-insulin dependant pathway to acetyl CoA. So a rise in blood sugar levels is not going to occur. But if you eat to much of it you can still get fat.

After exercise for a post recovery drink. Adding protien to the meal can also increase glycogen resynthesis and insulin level but the actual amount of even though the amount of carbs and type of carbs is the same. So other non-carb nutirent effect the GI of the meals, so this means the GI is not set in stone.

BUt if you can comprehend many factors at once then it can be used.

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-04-2001, 03:56 PM
pauly you retard i know that but the J is short for what?

body
10-04-2001, 04:09 PM
another example is when if i mix glucose with water.

each drink will contain the same volume of glucose but i will adjust water accordingly.

eg 100 mils of water 14 grams sugar (glucose). glucose conc = 14%
or 200 mils of water and 14 grams of sugar(glucose). glucose conc = 7%

In drinks with a glucose conc below 7% gastric emptying is not effected. however as you increase the % gastric emptying is slowed. The slower the food escape from the stomach over time peroid X. The slower the increase of blood sugar and insulin raise will be lower.

Therefore even though the drink may have more glucose in it, it may cause a have a lower GI.

This is why sports drinks should have less than 8% carbs as you do not want to hinder glycogen resynthesis. You can extrapolate this for other food which you ahev a rough idea of gastric emptying. But this shows how combining foodsd effects the GI not always in a way you may predict.

To add to the fact that that the below 7% conc of sugar drink with total sugar level staying the same, but increaisng water accordingly will have a higher GI. This is as the greater volume of food consumed the quicker the gastric emptying so the glucose will get to the intestine quicker therefore aiding uptake of glucose and increasing insulin levels.

temperature will also effect gastric emptying though only slightly.
however when resting a fluids at body temp leave the stomach more quickly than hot or cold drinks. WHile exercising though cool fluids leave the stomach quicker than warm or body temps fluids.
so this will have a different effect on GI even with identicle drinks.

If palying competive sports which may cause you stress/nerveness before the game will decrease the GI of a idneticle food over when not stressed during eg training. when nervous gastric emptying is slowed therfore the food take longer to get to your small intestine therfore lower insulin rise etc.

When the carb drink reaches your small intestine. A solution with a slightly lower carbs and elctrolyte level will be absobed much quicker than a solution with much higher or lower conc of carbs and electrolyte. If the solution is really high in carbs then a temporary shift of fluids away from the muscles into the intestine to dilute the solution. This will take longer for the carbs to be absorbed therefore even though the solution has more carbs in it will take longer to be absobed therfore lowering the GI and causing a smaller insulin rise and blood sugar levels etc.

Some of these factor have bigger effect than other and i wrote all the above in terms of a solution rahter than food which has differnent effect epesically when fibre is around.

Paul Stagg
10-05-2001, 07:44 AM
Jason.