02-16-2004, 07:56 PM
Well.. after a few non-serious and inconsistent attempts, I begin afresh:

Three priorities:
1. Weight loss
2. Build muscle
3. Enjoy myself

Stephen Riddington
02-16-2004, 11:01 PM
Good luck, man. How are you planning to acheive these goals??? It'll give us a better idea on giving you suggestions and encouragement.

Big Brother
02-17-2004, 03:58 AM
Thanks..

Well.. what I've been doing so far, but more regularly and consistently:

Have smaller meals - my line of work doesn't really allow for the often recommended six small meals, so must go about it by eating better quality food more often than I do now (three squares at the mo).

Early wake up (6am as opposed to 6:30am)
5-10 mins v. brisk walk around the block to warm up
Then 20 mins of weights - not really concentrating on any particular area, just getting the heart rate up to start burning. Keen to hear what you'd recommend here. Got some basic weights at home: dumbells, barbell, bench, bike.

That and an afternoon brisk walk for 30 mins before making dinner.

As for having fun, well, I listen to music..! :idea:

As I said, very keen for contributions on 'where to from here'

About me: 22yoa, 125kgs (yes, I know), 6ft.

drew
02-17-2004, 06:12 AM
Nice to see you starting a journal. A few questions:

How many cals are you planning to take in a day?
How much weight do you want to lose?
Do you know your Body fat%?
Do you have a weight routine in mind?

Big Brother
02-17-2004, 03:11 PM
Nice to see you starting a journal. A few questions:

How many cals are you planning to take in a day?
How much weight do you want to lose?
Do you know your Body fat%?
Do you have a weight routine in mind?

Cals: I'm not sure what's best here. I just eat muesli and a piece of fruit in the morning, a salad or sandwich for lunch and a light dinner. I also keep a glass of water on my desk and am forever topping it up (which is about as often as I 'go').

Weight to lose: 30kgs eventually, but want to be 120kgs by Easter; only 1-2kgs a week.

BF%: no idea - I suppose I'd be in the Homer Simpson club: "Hey, this man has 104% BF!"

Weight routine: yeah, I found on the web a fat burning 1/2 hr work out. It basically looks like this:

2 min Aerobic Segment (AS)
1 min Tricep kick-back/squat
3 min AS
1 min Deadlift
3 min AS
1 min Hammer-curl/squat
3 min AS
1 min Upright row/squat
3 min AS and cool down
3 min Abdominals - I have an ab-roller thingy
3 min Stretch

As I said, still keen for more contributions and ideas.

briancurran01
02-17-2004, 03:43 PM
well as an example i weigh 250 and am cutting i take in 2500-2600 calories a day.

I work out 7 days a week. I want to lose 20 pounds and 11 % bodyfat.

i do the follow as a routine

monday-chest/back then cardio
tuesday cardio
wednes legs then cardio
thursday triceps/biceps shoulders then cardio
friday through sunday cardio

that is an example of my workout you may want to try the wbb1 routine. my first suggestion would be eating more.

Big Brother
02-17-2004, 05:41 PM
Know where I'd get a calorie calculator? Or at least a meal conversion table?

Eating more? Surely I've had enough already!?

What's cardio precisely and succinctly?

well as an example i weigh 250 and am cutting i take in 2500-2600 calories a day.

I work out 7 days a week. I want to lose 20 pounds and 11 % bodyfat.

i do the follow as a routine

monday-chest/back then cardio
tuesday cardio
wednes legs then cardio
thursday triceps/biceps shoulders then cardio
friday through sunday cardio

that is an example of my workout you may want to try the wbb1 routine. my first suggestion would be eating more.

briancurran01
02-17-2004, 06:05 PM
cardio is riding a bike, walking, running activity to get your heartrate up. www.fitday.com is what i use to track my calories it is very helpful

Big Brother
02-17-2004, 10:55 PM
cardio is riding a bike, walking, running activity to get your heartrate up. www.fitday.com is what i use to track my calories it is very helpful

Ah.. thought so (re: cardio).

www.fitday.com is very helpful indeed! Man, too many carbs!

Bench pressed 28kgs: don't laugh, that's good for me!

drew
02-18-2004, 08:22 AM
Aim for 2700 cals a day and you should start losing about .5-1 kg a week. That would be a good place to start. And yes, eating MORE is needed for sustained weight loss. When you don't eat enough, your body starves and then it stores everything it gets. Your energy levels go down and you can actually start gaining weight.

Big Brother
02-18-2004, 03:47 PM
Aim for 2700 cals a day and you should start losing about .5-1 kg a week. That would be a good place to start. And yes, eating MORE is needed for sustained weight loss. When you don't eat enough, your body starves and then it stores everything it gets. Your energy levels go down and you can actually start gaining weight.

I need to up my intake by about 700 cals/day: what do you recommend? I love dairy, but is the fat content too high? What about tuna pasta?

Big Brother
02-18-2004, 03:49 PM
I love half-days:

30 min cardio walk
30 min weights

Sleep: 7 hours plus 1/2 hr lie in.

drew
02-18-2004, 06:29 PM
I would limit the dairy. Don't worry too much about fat content though. Eat high protein foods. Chicken breast, tuna, turkey are your best sources for quality calories. Check out the diet forum for a ton more info about what to eat.

Big Brother
02-18-2004, 10:44 PM
Just had a small tin (100g net) of Tuna. Wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Must take some mid-avo btw lunch and dinner: fourth meal.

Resolution: Cardio in the morning from 6am and weights in afternoon. Sunday and Wednesday rest days.