PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else eat for good skin as well as muscle??

smushie
02-17-2004, 05:17 PM
Sorry for the weird title but let me explain...as a result of my bad skin I've been forced to eat a little differently...meaning I cut out milk and bread and eat lots of fruit and veggies...this diet has not been good in allowing me to get cut...i also almost dont have enough energy to exercise...but its
somewhat improved my skin so im sticking with it...but i need to revise as im gonna start up an exercise program

my program will be alternating 3 days of cardio (HIIT Training) with 3 days Pilates/Calisthetics (mon/wed/fri = calistethic/pilates and tues/thurs/sat = cardio) i want to drop all my fat and get lean and cut...i mean im pretty skinny being 160 at 5"8 and i look like im pretty cut already except for my stomach area...but i really am in the worst shape ive ever been..i just want to get back into shape and get stronger and more cut and shed my fat..ill bulk up and weight train later

anyway my current diet looks something like this:
breakfast : fruit (strawberries, oranges, melon, etc.)
lunch: salad (lettuce, tomatoes, slices of ham and turkey, cucumber)
dinner: usually something like chicken/pasta, steak, etc. with veggies
dessert: fruit
average about 6 bottles of water a day

im usually starving from breakfast to lunch..and after lunch to dinner.. not suprisingly its only after dinner that i feel energized enough to exercise...i was thinking maybe protein shakes and bars would be good to incorporate to my diet? i already have an idea of my new diet:
6:30 AM breakfast: fruit with a protein shake
9:30 AM snack: fruit with peanut butter crackers or something
12:30 PM lunch: same salad with a hard boiled egg
4:00 before workout: protein bar
5:30 after workout: protein shake
6:30 dinner: same
7:00 dessert: same

this would be for a calisthetic/pilates day...on cardio days id have to run after work (around 8PM) and before dinner...i was thinking a shake before
work (around 2:30PM) and a bar an hour before I run..and after running dinner..

does this look good to you? any changes you would make? or something
totally different altogether? oh and advice on good protein bars and powder would be appreciated...sorry this is so long....thanks in advance....

Focused
02-17-2004, 05:42 PM
take b5 dude itll clear you up and give you energy to work out with

Ironman8
02-17-2004, 07:11 PM
For your activity level, I think you need way more calories than what you're getting now, and your new diet doesn't look too well either. Maybe you can't get the results you want because your metabolism slowed down.

What exactly can't you eat? If you post this, maybe we can help you improve your diet.

Optimum08
02-17-2004, 07:30 PM
i agree wit ironman that we need more info to help u...but the new diet sounds a lot better then the old one (of course)...

smushie
02-17-2004, 11:13 PM
take b5 dude itll clear you up and give you energy to work out with

i heard both good n bad things about b5...bad being that it will mess up your
insides in the long run...i dont think i wanna mess with it..have you taken it?

well foods i would like to stay away from: red meat, dairy, breads...its not that i absolutely will not eat certain foods...i just want to eat the least amount of meat (chicken, salmon, etc.) i should and eat plenty of fruits and
veggies...for example i used to eat milk and cereal for breakfast and a ham and turkey sandwich for lunch...i switched to fruit for breakfast and a ham and turkey salad for lunch....i didnt eliminate the turkey/ham but now i eat less of it and with salad...i guess i could eat tuna and chicken and stuff like that but maybe the least possible and with lots of vegetables...i found that eliminating milk, bread, and limiting meat in my diet has somewhat helped my skin...i would become a full fledged vegetarian if i could but that would make this a lot harder...

if you still need to know more let me know..thanks

Maxgain
02-18-2004, 05:57 AM
Mess up your insides? the only documented GI side effect i have seen is diahorrea as in vitamin C.
For those using B5 for skin problems how much do ye take daily for effects as a study i seen is 10g daily as well as a topical preparation and as i can only get it in 500mg tablets thats an awful lot

3. ADULT:
* a. Concurrent treatment with oral and topical pantothenic acid was effective in controlling acne vulgaris in 100 patients (Leung, 1995a). Patients were given oral pantothenic acid 10 grams/day in 4 divided doses and pantothenic acid cream (20% by weight) to be applied 4 to 6 times a day. Sebum secretion decreased with 1 to 2 days of treatment, the frequency of new acne eruptions declined, and existing lesions began to regress within 1 to 2 weeks. Gradual improvement was seen; moderately severe cases were controlled within 8 weeks, and more severe cases took 6 months or more to clear. Thirty-five patients were followed up for 18 months; a maintenance dose of 1 to 5 grams/day was needed to control the acne. No objective, quantifiable data were presented in this report.

Focused
02-18-2004, 10:25 AM
well i cant make any promises, because b5 is a relatively new treatment...all i can say is that i know a few people that have been doing it for a few years and they had themselves tested and turned out fine

i have take b5 for about 4 months so far and it has been good..i still get a breakout here and there but this is the most control my skin has ever been..i started out with 10 grams a day now im down to 5...not only that, but it seems that i can eat whatever i want while taking this stuff without worrying about breaking out. avoiding certain foods that you like is such a pain in the ass to me.

PizDoff
02-18-2004, 01:26 PM
1. How are your sleeping habits?
2. How often do you train? Not too often do you?
3. If you are pretty skinny now, why not still lift more to add muscle, this will help balance the "gut."
4. Can you have eggs? Have some with breakfast.

Silverback
02-18-2004, 01:28 PM
Hey smushie, dont get too wrapped up in the diet and skin link. Hormones are what dictate 90% of your skin condition, diet has a minimal effect trust me.

There are a few tricks/tips that can alleviate your situation (in order of importance):

1. See your doc and get a prescirbed med

2: Take sea salt water baths, 10 mins soak 1/2 times daily

3: Supplement with omega fatty acids, i.e. fish oil, hemp, flax etc...

4: take brewers yeast and or vit B-5 like others have said.

At the end of the day, genetics matter a hell of a lot with skin. Try the following and see how it goes, on the other hand be proud that your hormones are raging like a bull in a china shop!!

smushie
02-18-2004, 11:54 PM
"1. How are your sleeping habits?"
i do my best to get at least 8 hours but most of the time its not possible
"2. How often do you train? Not too often do you?"
lol...i spend a lot of time planning on it...but no not too often at all

yeah sleep and exercise would definetly do me good..which is what im determined to do from now on..thats why i posted this to find a suitable diet to work with as well

"3. If you are pretty skinny now, why not still lift more to add muscle, this will help balance the "gut.""
im definetly planning on weight training in the future but i find calisthetics/pilates more appealing right now...im just trying to get that lean cut physique for now..
"4. Can you have eggs? Have some with breakfast."
yeah...im thinking of adding some hard boiled eggs to my breakfast and lunch

"1. See your doc and get a prescirbed med"
tried this numerous times already...didnt work and left my insides all messed up

"2: Take sea salt water baths, 10 mins soak 1/2 times daily"
ive heard of this...would i just add regular salt to my bath?

"3: Supplement with omega fatty acids, i.e. fish oil, hemp, flax etc..."
ill give this a try..i already have some fish oil concentrate ive been meaning to use

"4: take brewers yeast and or vit B-5 like others have said."
dunno bout b5 but maybe ill try brewers yeast

see the thing is i want to achieve this naturally (through lots of sleep, drinking lots of water, good diet, and exercise) cause ive been through all the meds and products you can think of..i thought well this is a simple natural solution that should work...ive got all the elements worked out except diet...

"on the other hand be proud that your hormones are raging like a bull in a china shop!!"
LOL

smushie
02-19-2004, 10:25 PM
ok so i did a little research:

Meal 1 : Protein Shake - 323 calories 52 protein (im using Opticen as an ex.)
some strawberries - 45 calories 3.8 carbs 2.2 protein
some pieces of melon - 45 calories
an orange 60 calories
some grapes 35 calories
a hard boiled egg - 75 calories 6 protein

Meal 2: apple - 80 calories 40 carbs 1.2 g protein
Peanut Butter Crackers - 260 calories 8 protein
or
Nuts - 185 calories 6 protein

Meal 3: A Turkey/Ham Salad - Im guessing about 200 calories 20 protein
Hard boiled egg - 75 calories 6 protein
apple - 80 calories 40 carbs 1.2 g protein

Meal 4: A meal replacement bar - 250 calories 20 protein

Meal 5: Protein Shake - 52 protein 323 calories

Meal 6: (Changes everyday)
Chicken - 53 protein 284 calories
Side Salad - 200 calories
Broccoli - 45 calories 5 protein

Meal 7 : peach 35 calories
plum 25 calories

ok well estimated thats about 2480 calories and 215 protein...i didnt count protein from fruit cause thats probably negligible...again this an estimate....im guessing too much protein and not enough calories? how would you improve it?

p.s. im going food shopping tomorrow..feel free to give suggestions...

Reinier
02-20-2004, 03:28 AM
No. because real men have bad skin

smushie
02-20-2004, 10:56 AM
No. because real men have bad skin

i see...

Exnor
02-20-2004, 12:20 PM
There has been no scientific proof of a link between diet and acne. If your not talking about acne, then something like eczema or dermititis can be diet related.

Unless you are a wheat allergy sufferer I would eat bread. As for dairy products, they can easily be replaced by other sources of protein.

A topical treatment on your skin should be sufficient for most mild/moderate acne sufferers. A good link was referenced to in a thread in General Health not so long ago: www.acne.org .

Shao-LiN
02-20-2004, 12:30 PM
You're better off going to a dermatologist and getting prescriptions for acne medication than you are eating for it. For me, personally, I tried out that Proactiv Solution that you see on TV infomercials all the time....it worked great. I still have the random acne, but it's definately a whole lot better than it was before.

smushie
02-24-2004, 03:55 PM
sorry if it seems like im ignoring advice..but maybe i didnt make it clear before...yes its acne...and yes ive gone to the derm numerous times and taken meds/proactiv/acne.org/etc/etc/etc. ive done it all lol....nothing has worked....temporarily maybe..but it always comes back...only thing i havent done is try combining eating right with exercise and getting lots of sleep... so thats what im here to do...ive seen many different articles both agreeing and disagreeing that diet affects acne..all i know is...i think for my case it does....im trying to go the natural route this time....no more meds and creams...just healthy eating and exercise....

does the diet i listed before sound good?