PDA

View Full Version : My Diet: Love it or Leave it?

Chubrock
02-18-2004, 08:28 AM
Alright, a little background:

I'm 5'11 168lbs.
I'm not really looking to start cutting, or bulking. I'm just trying to bring in more protein, and eat better foods than I was before. Currently, due to school sports I'm averaging about 3hrs of cardio everyday. I have no control over that, except to quit, and that's not an option. I'm lifting every other day during the week, and I'm just trying to gain a little muscle, not become huge or anything. Here's my diet, keep in mind that I'm not trying to stick to something really strict, just trying to eat better.

Meal 1: Oatmeal with half a PB sandwich on wheat bread

Meal 2: Banana and maybe a little more fruit

Meal 3: School lunch- I eat whatever veggies and fruits they serve, and I cut out the fries and all that other crap they serve.

Meal 4: Tuna

Meal 5: Meat and Veggies, whatever I can find

Meal 6: 2 spoon fulls of PB with another piece of fruit

What ya'll think?

wibble
02-18-2004, 09:40 AM
I'm not sure of the size of your servings, but it doesn't look like a whole lot of cals to me.

DoUgL@S
02-18-2004, 10:05 AM
With 3 hrs of training for sports and lifting everyother day, it doesn't sound like you are eating enough. Maybe if you posted how many calories you are taking in and current macro portions (protein, carbs, fat) we could give you a better assesment.

Deathwish
02-18-2004, 10:12 AM
You take your weight and multiply it by 15 to see how many calories you need to survive without losing weight. So 168*15=2520. Now you have to account for your activities. What sports do you play...how long are you actually running around and getting your heart pumping? Go to www.fitday.com and make an account with them to help yourself manage your calories and to get an idea of how much you need to be eating.

geoffgarcia
02-18-2004, 01:33 PM
I'm not sure of the size of your servings
x2
what you posted doesn't tell us anything...

Chubrock
02-18-2004, 04:41 PM
Sorry for not getting ya'll exact numbers on the calories and all that, but two out of the 6 meals I have to kind of vary how much I eat, based on what's cooked. Ya'll said that you thought I might be consuming to few calories. Is this almost as bad as consuming to much? Is it really that bad to consume to few calories?

wibble
02-18-2004, 05:13 PM
I'm averaging about 3hrs of cardio everyday. I have no control over that, except to quit, and that's not an option. I'm lifting every other day during the week, and I'm just trying to gain a little muscle, not become huge or anything. Here's my diet, keep in mind that I'm not trying to stick to something really strict, just trying to eat better.

If you want to gain muscle, you need to have excess calories to grow. Start eating about 3000-3300cals per day and weigh yourself once per week, in the morning, after using the bathroom. If you want to gain a little muscle and not much fat, try for .5lbs a week. If you start gaining too fast and are worried about fat, cut the cals back by 200-300 for a week and reweigh. You might have to eat a lot more than that though with 3 hours of cardio a day...just keep an eye on the scale and when you finally find the right amount stick with it until you don't gain anymore. Then up it again another 200-300.

Ya'll said that you thought I might be consuming to few calories. Is this almost as bad as consuming to much? Is it really that bad to consume to few calories?

This is probably worse than consuming too many to a degree. If you don't get enough cals, your body will burn muscle for fuel instead of fat which is the opposite of what you want. You'll shrink. :p

fornero
02-18-2004, 06:15 PM
Alright, a little background:
Meal 1: Oatmeal with half a PB sandwich on wheat bread

Meal 2: Banana and maybe a little more fruit

Meal 3: School lunch- I eat whatever veggies and fruits they serve, and I cut out the fries and all that other crap they serve.

Meal 4: Tuna

Meal 5: Meat and Veggies, whatever I can find

Meal 6: 2 spoon fulls of PB with another piece of fruit

You said you wanted to get in more protein, meals 2 & 3 have none. In addition, PB in and of itself isn't a great source. Add a source of lean protein to meals 1-3 and meal 6. This'll help up the calories as well.

Chubrock
02-18-2004, 07:03 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Do ya'll have any suggestions for gettin protein in, in the morning? Eating eggs all the time will get quite costly I'd imagine.

Spartacus
02-18-2004, 07:06 PM
eggs are very cheap....

make sure you're getting some EFAs

some milk is easy protein in the morning too other than eggs.

wibble
02-18-2004, 07:34 PM
I take 2 scoops of whey in the morning in a cup of skim milk. This works out out to be about 326cals, 20g carbs, 52g protein, 3g fat.