PDA

View Full Version : Post Work-Out Shake?

Mic Soloist
02-19-2004, 01:23 AM
I usually drink 3 protein shakes per day

1 pre-workout with 1/2 cup milk

1 post-workout with 1/2 cup milk

1 before bed with 1/2 cup milk

I know that I need to drink my post-workout shake with water but I never have. I was recently thinking I should start doing that. I also know I need to include detrose with my PWO shake.

Question is, how much detrose should I use and how much protein should I take in post-workout? Keep in mind I take in 1 scoop(23g) with milk pre-workout.

But please help me out.

thanks.....

Joe Black
02-19-2004, 03:52 AM
There’s no hard and fast numbers. You’ll probably find studies telling you that x amount per lb is the best compared to the athletes they tested on, but then you’ll probably find another to content that just to make things even more confusing ;)

Personally I mix 2 scoops of Nitrean with water which gives me 48 grams of protein.

I also take 50 grams of dextrose with a water diluted fruit drink like Ribena or something.

I take them separately as dextrose is very sweet and it makes Nitrean way too sweet otherwise. I also throw in 5 grams of creatine with my dextrose.

So..

48g protein
50g dextrose
5 g creatine

Saint Patrick
02-19-2004, 04:03 AM
48g protein
50g dextrose
5 g creatine

:withstupi

I mix mine all together though.

TheGimp
02-19-2004, 06:53 AM
If you're having a pre-workout shake with milk then I don't think it's necessary to mix the post workout one with water. The pre will still be digesting.

LuvDaPump
02-19-2004, 07:07 AM
Good advise.
My post workout:
I go with about 50g of whey, 50g of dextros, 5g creatine and 10g glutamine.
I sometimes consume some carbs toward the middle of the workout and it seems to keep me going.

IMHO I don't know that the milk's doing much for you as 1/2 cup doesn't contain much of anything. It can't hurt but I wouldn't be concerned if you dropped it from the post. My personal preference is that I don't care for the taste of the shakes mixed with milk. I drink a lot of milk at other times.

Mic Soloist
02-19-2004, 09:14 AM
I'm cutting so I dont want to use any more dextrose than I have to. What is the smallest amount I should be using for my PWO shake.

-mic-

galileo
02-19-2004, 09:56 AM
When cutting, I'd use 40g pre/during and 40g post.

Studies indicate that fat oxidation remains high on subject who follow high-carb meals with exercise (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11430771&dopt=Abstract)

STUNT101
02-22-2004, 04:35 PM
here's my copy and paste job from the other forum i go to:

As a general rule, on a bulk-up plan the amount of carbs to consume following a hardcore weight training session is five grams of simple carbohydrates for every ten pounds of lean body mass (LBM). This would mean a body builder with 200lbs. of LBM would consume 100 grams of high-glycemic simple carbohydrates post-training.

On a cutting phase I recommend consuming 2.5 grams of carbs per ten pounds of lean body mass. The goal here is to consume just enough to suppress cortisol and increase growth hormone levels and to get out of our catabolic state. During a time when you are restricting calories, the last thing you want is to be catabolic. I also recommend consuming an equal amount of grams of protein as you did grams of simple carbohydrates.

So the same bodybuilder with 200lbs of LBM, would consume 50 grams of carbs and 50 grams of protein during his cutting phase post workout

Mic Soloist
02-22-2004, 08:56 PM
the problem is....

I am trying to keep my carbs around 120 per day and consuming 50 after working out would really limit me for the rest of the day.

-mic-

pusher
02-22-2004, 09:08 PM
You know what, IMHO I wouldn't even worry about the P/WO carbs going against your daily carb allowance. I would rather be sure to kick my insuling up at that critical time, bulk or cut. But if you were really worried about too much carbs, you may want to look into R-ala for its insulin mimicking properties.

geoffgarcia
02-23-2004, 09:38 AM
or just take 25g pre and 25 g post....

how many calories are you taking in on a day?
how much protein/fat?