PDA

View Full Version : protein on off days?

waynis
02-19-2004, 08:08 PM
hey since i started my new job i only work out 3 days a week anymore. 4 on a saturday if i havent been up drinking or up late. should i still take my protein shake on my off days? i have been doing it but thinking its just a waste. i take it before bed on my off days, except for weekends. weekends i take in a lot of calories to compensate for the week of dieting. would it just be better to take more protein on the days i lift or continue to keep the protien in my body even when i dont lift?

Jasonl
02-19-2004, 08:34 PM
If you can get whole food, that's better than a shake. Just because you're not lifting doesn't mean you don't have to stick to your diet. Shakes are a good, lean, and easy source of protein so they are a good option.

Deathwish
02-19-2004, 10:53 PM
Depends on your budget honestly. Drinking a shake everyday won't hurt you, but it'll hurt your wallet. I only drink a shake during workout days and I eat a protein bar nearly every non work out day. But if I could afford I'ld definately be taking a shake everyday. It is true that real food is better, but a shake is simply easier imo.

Khar
02-19-2004, 11:36 PM
Depends on your budget honestly. Drinking a shake everyday won't hurt you, but it'll hurt your wallet. I only drink a shake during workout days and I eat a protein bar nearly every non work out day. But if I could afford I'ld definately be taking a shake everyday. It is true that real food is better, but a shake is simply easier imo.

Unless you get RTD shakes then eating a protien bar everyday would be a much bigger hit to the wallet as well. Not to mention not the healthiest of choices. I would limit protien bars(unless homemade) to when you have no other way of getting in some whole food. Something about the mystery fats and preservatives that get me everytime :omg:

waynis
02-20-2004, 10:25 PM
so could i substitute my protien shake with whole foods on off days or should i still take my protien shake?

ryuage
02-21-2004, 12:35 AM
whatever floats your boat. It doesn't really matter really in the big scheme of things. If you can get a protein based meal with whole foods rather than a shake id say go for it.