PDA

View Full Version : Top Ramen ???

DJAngelicon
02-20-2004, 08:14 PM
I am wondering, if eating alot of top romens help in gaining some size? Cause for peoples who are in college and don't have much cash to spend it weightgainers and high end food they will have to settle of cheap food like Top Ramens and eggs.

What ya think?
Can ya post what are good ways to get some goods out of cheap food?

Saint Patrick
02-20-2004, 08:38 PM
If you're bulking, it's fine.

Invest in some canned tuna if you want cheap protein.

Alke
02-20-2004, 09:08 PM
top ramen?! EVIL!

cheap bulk, I dont know if there is such a thing, I am looking at getting a second job to pay for my bulk LOL

okay, cheap. lets see. in my mind I see lots of eggs (1.25 a dozen) (like 4 dozen a week), baked potatoes (get the 10 pound bags), tuna (get it by the case when on sale: 40 cents a can, I got like 8 cases of it right now myself sitting on the cabinet)

get extra lean ground beef. One pound is like $2.00, and you can buy 5 pounds for like $10.00 then seperate it into 1/2 pound servings in ziplock baggies (@300 calories) = 10 servings and put this in your freezer for later.

I stay away from pasta carbs, too refined. Get carbs from beans and veggies and the purest whole wheat bread you can find (stay way from anything enriched, bleached flour) I would suggest if you need cheap refined carbs, get bagels. They are 1.50 a pound, and come in packs of 5. I buy like 6 pounds of bagels when I go, and freeze them for later. cost me ten bucks for 30 bagels, and I eat one a day.

uhm, you can get bags of raw chicken breast frozen pretty cheap, and cook them on sundays to prepare for the next week. Get frozen bags of black eyed peas or some form of beans, lotta carbs and protein. Even the cans of beans or like 40 cents on sale, so get it by the case.

definitely get protein whey powder (@35.00 a jug = last you a month+) you need the extra protein.

OATMEAL! a jug of quaker oats is like $2.75 and eat 4 servings a day, the best way to get your carbs in my opinion, besides grape nuts but they can get spendy, specially if you get the flakes - dont do that its a waste of your money, they are in a bigger box but have less servings than the nuts.

I gotta go, but I will post some more later or ya!

ogarchamplin
02-20-2004, 09:19 PM
Isnt the sodium level outrageous with Top Ramen?

fatsoPanda
02-20-2004, 09:23 PM
if you throw away the flavor packet, it's not too bad at all. All the sodium is in that packet.

ryuage
02-21-2004, 12:38 AM
but then it wont taste as good :) might as well just spend the money on a big tub of oats anyway.

Saint Patrick
02-21-2004, 01:28 AM
I just use half the flavor pack.

AstronautJones
02-21-2004, 02:39 AM
I am wondering, if eating alot of top romens help in gaining some size? Cause for peoples who are in college and don't have much cash to spend it weightgainers and high end food they will have to settle of cheap food like Top Ramens and eggs.

What ya think?
Can ya post what are good ways to get some goods out of cheap food?

Wait a minute. You just said in another thread that you were looking at purchasing some V12, which, if I'm not mistaken, is not the cheapest route, if you want to supplement with creatine. Why not spend your V12 money on some "high end" bulking food instead?

DJAngelicon
02-21-2004, 03:36 AM
That is true, but then again there is that chance of squeezing some little cash to get some nice Creatine since I heard is better than using GNC Creatine Product. I am use to Muscle Tech product but to expensive for my pockets right now. At the moment I have to becareful in how I manage my cash and my food along with my supplements as a good banance to get the results I am looking for. Another thing I did said about getting the V12 but then again, there is that cash of having a far away family memeber or friend getting that for me with out costing me a penie if they wanted to get it for me. It was just an example and if better my life in someways I get some good cash then I might spend some cash into getting that to give it a try to get my results in my 5 to 6 months faster. Is very late and I might not make any sense right now on my typing but I hope you and other understands so they don't get confuse in my I am asking all this questions and yet replying to ther post about supplements.

Shao-LiN
02-21-2004, 11:57 AM
Muscletech stuff is overpriced.

reicher
02-21-2004, 12:27 PM
Hey people, first time poster here . . .

Read those labels REALLY carefully.
Many many brands of frozen chicken breasts have a 15% "solution" injected into them. This "solution" is usually chicken broth that is LOADED with extra fat.
A typical half chicken breast (about 4 ounces) will have about 2 grams of fat.
That same breast if injected with the "solution" may have as much as 10 grams of fat.
see: http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/list_nut.pl
for the nutritional info from the gov.

I am somewhat of a nutrition freak, I give you that much! ;)

Foods I eat that I consider good for building muscle include;
proteins -
boneless skinless chicken breasts
boneless skinless turkey breast meat
canned and pouched tuna (real tuna is fine, just too spendy for me)
low fat cottage cheese
eggwhites (I do eat about two yolks per day though)
vegetarian source of protein of carefully combined (see http://www.2-fit.com/miscellaneous/proteindif.html for more info)

Carbs -
brown rice
beans
old fashioned oats
potatoes
sweet potatoes
barley
lentils
cream of rice,wheat, oats

I avoid bread and milk and I'd have to say ramen would fall squarely into the "I avoid it" list not only because it's pasta, but the sodium count it WAY up there.

Anyway, good luck and I look forward to learning more from you all and posting a tip or two myself now and then.

AstronautJones
02-23-2004, 12:50 AM
I avoid bread and milk and I'd have to say ramen would fall squarely into the "I avoid it" list not only because it's pasta, but the sodium count it WAY up there.

Hold on, what's wrong with plain pasta, or whole wheat pasta for that matter?

Spartacus
02-23-2004, 02:17 AM
raman is terrible. its loaded with BAD fats - trans fatty acids. read teh ingredients. also its just REFINED carbs. get some whole wheat pasta.

Saint Patrick
02-23-2004, 02:36 AM
The key is moderation. Once or twice a week won't kill you.

ccjfw
02-23-2004, 05:04 AM
once or twice a week also will not bulk you either heh... the point of bulking is to find the type of foods that work for your body and eat a crap load of them.

Alke
02-23-2004, 02:00 PM
.... the point of bulking is to find the type of foods that work for your body and eat a crap load of them.

two posts and he already hit the nail on the head.

I practically live off oatmeal, grape nuts, and veggies for my carbs and have been able to keep my BF at a reasonable level (below 15%) throughout my current bulk (I am almost 30lbs into a 50lb bulk).

I am not saying refined carbs are bad for you, but in my opinion, their are better, and as cheap, alternatives to pasta aka ramen: with or without the included salt block.

to quote ccjfw again: once or twice a week wont kill you, but you need to find foods you can eat a crap load of.

Spartacus
02-23-2004, 05:01 PM
i dunno if i'm going to cheat i'd eat french fries or ice cream, not ramen.

waynis
02-23-2004, 05:41 PM
i would call that a un-healthy way to gain wieght :(

Saturday Fever
02-23-2004, 06:08 PM
If you're gaining weight, just gain weight. You can worry about health and **** when you're massive.

reicher
02-23-2004, 08:21 PM
Hold on, what's wrong with plain pasta, or whole wheat pasta for that matter?

As someone else said it really ins't all that bad, but is it really the optimal source? IMHO, NO, it's not.
It's VERY fast burning does not supply the body with a slow, steady supply of nutrients.
I just choose to eat much slower burning, "stick to your ribs" carbs like old fashioned oats, beans, potatoes, sweet potatoes, etc.

Just my 2 centavos, and worth everything you paid for it! ;)

_-_v_-_
02-23-2004, 09:41 PM
Explain how whole-wheat pasta is "very fast burning."

I have seen nothing that suggests this to be the case.

Lex2006
02-23-2004, 09:50 PM
Especially macaroni products... I think whole wheat + certain types of pasta is pretty close to an ideal carb source.

Saint Patrick
02-23-2004, 10:13 PM
It's VERY fast burning does not supply the body with a slow, steady supply of nutrients.
I just choose to eat much slower burning, "stick to your ribs" carbs like old fashioned oats, beans, potatoes, sweet potatoes, etc.

Whole Wheat Pasta has a GI rating of 45.

Sweet Potatoes have a GI rating of 54.

Kidney Beans Have a GI rating of 52

Oats Have a GI rating of 58.

:)

_-_v_-_
02-23-2004, 10:42 PM
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Oh, and
potatoes? As in, baked potatoes?

Hint: There's a reason they're not on SP's list.

Spartacus
02-23-2004, 10:49 PM
yeah i use potatoes after workouts :)

DJAngelicon
02-24-2004, 09:07 PM
Well, a friend of mine here got me a COSTCO Membership as a birthday present. So, He told me to eat this here.

Breakfast

1.Oatmeal
2. Eggs

Lunch

1.Rice
2.Veggie
3.Chicken
4.Hamburger
5.Tuna
6.Potato

Dinner
1.Rice
2.Veggie
3.Chicken
4.Hamburger
5.Tuna
6.Potato

Snacks / meal "bonus"
1.Celery (Panut Butter)
2.Carrots
3.Broccoli
4.apples
5."Protein" bars

Other

1.Flaxeed oil (pills)

Anyways, what ya think of this here? It suppost to help me save money so it can be spend in food over buying supplements.

Ti1301
02-24-2004, 09:27 PM
Isnt the sodium level outrageous with Top Ramen?

Yes it is.

reicher
02-25-2004, 05:37 AM
I base the "fast burning" comment on personal experience.
If I eat a serving of pasta (whole wheat or not and keep in mind a serving is like 1.5 cups) I am STARVING within 1 hour.
If I eat a serving of old fashioned oats (1 cup dry) I am full for over 2 hours.

And, GI is misleading.
If you have it alone you're right, it has a higher GI rating.
But, when mixed with protein and fat the GI is reduced.

Don't fear potatoes!

DJAngelicon
02-28-2004, 10:26 AM
I c, any good tips in how to mix the Top Romen with out that bag that comes with it. Like some Veggie or any good way to make them good enough to finish this box I got home?