PDA

View Full Version : deadlift help

debussy
02-21-2004, 02:57 AM
hey guys, my deadlift has been lagging behind all my lifts for a long time now. i noticed that the trouble i have most is getting the bar the first third of the way up. are there any good exercises i can do to work on that specific area of my deadlift? maybe it is possble that my form isnt that great? i just know that after that first third of the movement, the weight goes up really easily. help!

Anthony
02-21-2004, 06:59 AM
Start here: http://www.t-mag.com/articles/194dead.html

As for getting stuck at the bottom, it's probably your hips/glutes ... work on those and work on your speed to help get momentum.

debussy
02-21-2004, 01:46 PM
hey thanks man. can you suggest some good exercises for working on speed? i've tried doing deadlifts fast... but that seems pretty dangerous...

WannabeSmalljjk
02-21-2004, 02:26 PM
Speed deadlifts with bands work good for speed. You can buy conventional & sumo platforms at Elitefts.com. Here are the links http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=114&pid=339 conventional. http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=114&pid=340 sumo, and a larger picture for pulling on the platform sumo http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=4120&tid=51

We have the conventional platfrom at our gym, though I have never used it. The owners built their own sumo platform with carpet so its better than the mat in the picture, less skid.

debussy
02-21-2004, 07:27 PM
thanks for the links, the last link was some good reading. im also going to look into investing in some bands; they seem really effective. also, doing single speed deadlifts and working on my form seems like a good idea. any more input/comments guys? im going to start doing good mornings to strengthen the glutes/hams too. i just got the form down for those.

WannabeSmalljjk
02-22-2004, 01:31 PM
Get some Chuck Taylors wear them when you do squats/deadlifts/GM, & stuff like that. Get a belt and push against it before you do your rep(s). If you don't have a spot you can always do GM's with pins or off chains, just drop the weight. I prefer chains, you get two chains hanging off the top of the power rack to support the bar. People in my gym have dropped 450 at times on the chains and they haven't broken so its pretty safe.

BigNic
03-01-2004, 08:44 PM
why the chuck taylors

Anthony
03-02-2004, 04:15 AM
They have a thin flat sole.

Seanzilla
03-02-2004, 12:32 PM
Debussy,

If you're missing your pulls at the bottom 1/3 of the lift, then it's most likely your form/starting position and your glutes and hamstrings.

Make sure that you're standing close enough to the bar. If you're pulling conventional, then the bar should be directly over your foot (somewhere between the middle of your foot and where your toes start.) If you're pulling sumo, then your feet should be turned outwards and the inside of your calves should be an inch or two away from the bar (almost touching.)

If you're pulling conventional, sit back and drive off of your heels when you begin your pull.

Good lifts for you to train, to build your starting strength, are these:

#1 Pulling off plates: Perform regular deadlifts, but do them while standing on 45 pound plates. You can also just load the bar with 25 or 35 pound plates, instead of 45's, and this will make the bar sit lower on the ground.

#2 Stiff leg deadlifts: Work these off of a pulling platform, so that you can almost touch your feet with the bar. If your gym doesn't have a pulling platform, then just load the bar with 25 pound plates, so it can get closer to your feet before the plates touch the floor.

#3 Leg press: Use the same foot position on the leg press, that you use when you're deadlifting and push thru with your heels.

#4 Narrow stance squats: Use a shoulder width stance and do below parallel barbell squats.

Max-Mex
03-02-2004, 12:37 PM
#1 Pulling off plates: Perform regular deadlifts, but do them while standing on 45 pound plates. You can also just load the bar with 25 or 35 pound plates, instead of 45's, and this will make the bar sit lower on the ground.

How does this benefit someone for deadlifts? I've seen this recommended before.

Beebs
03-02-2004, 01:01 PM
Because your developing power on the bottom part pull, its like doing bench press with a cambared bar.

Seanzilla
03-02-2004, 05:15 PM
The lower the bar is to the floor (and the taller you are), the more your hamstrings, glutes and lower back come into play to get the bar started. Pulling off plates really works to build starting strength.

-Seanzilla

debussy
03-07-2004, 10:26 PM
awesome advice guys. seanzilla, ive been doing the exericses you suggested. pulling off plates is great actually. im going to test my deaflit this week and we'll see how much it improved.

Scott S
03-10-2004, 07:22 PM
Great post Sean. I've been doing SLDLs with 25's on the bar, and it really makes up for not having a platform. In addition, I stand on an overturned 45 so I can get all the way to my feet. :)

Darracq
03-13-2004, 06:32 AM
If you havent tryed sumo give it a go, im much stronger off the ground sumo style.