PDA

View Full Version : protein/carbs

ddzc
02-21-2004, 01:36 PM
Hi all, just need a good review here.
For someone who needs to gain weights and mass, I know they need to eat a lot of protein/carbs/fat (supposily). Anyhow, does protein and carbs have fat in them? what's the difference in between carbs/protein/fat. What's benfitial from each one of them. I need a good review and lesson on the 3, how they're a part of my diet and how they effect my growth individually and what happens if you take too much or less of the 3?

Thanx

Hercule
02-21-2004, 03:42 PM
does protein and carbs have fat in them?

No, they are three seperate things.

what's the difference in between carbs/protein/fat

Carbs-
Carbs are an energy source. The body breaks them down into glucose to use for energy. There are two seperate groups of carbs- Monosaccharides/Disaccharides, which are sugars, and Polysaccharides which are starches(potatoes, bread, pasta,etc). Simple sugars are quickly broken down by the body for a quick energy source, while starches are slower digesting, for a longer lasting energy support.

Protein-
Proteins help build muscle. They are composed of Amino Acids. You should get at least 1g of protein per pound of body weight. Good protein sources are Chicken, Beef, Eggs, Whey, etc.

Fat-
Another energy source. 2X as calorie dense as carbs or protein. There are 'good' fats and 'bad' fats. Saturated fat is bad. For 'good' fats, eat things like peanuts, avocadoes, etc.

I need a good review and lesson on the 3, how they're a part of my diet and how they effect my growth individually and what happens if you take too much or less of the 3?

How they will effect your growth depends on your goals. If you are cutting, consume less carbs(100 or less(depends on person)), more protein(1.5XBW), and moderate fat(most of which should be healthy fats). If you are bulking, up the carbs, keep the protein at 1g per pound of BW, and still get moderate fat(healthy fats).

I am no nutritional genius, these are just basic answers, nothing that in depth. If you want to know more, then there are many more knowlegable members on this subject, this was just a basic overview to give you an idea. Take it with a grain of salt.

ddzc
02-22-2004, 10:30 AM
Thanx Hercule.
Im trying to bulk up, so I try eating as much as I can.
As for the saturated and unsaturated fat, does it matter if I eat both?
What would be an example of a saturated fat? Bacon oil, fast food, etc? Are those examples? B/c I eat a few blt bagels a week for lunch...

Thanx again

andy51
02-22-2004, 02:37 PM
Bacon and fast food would be examples of saturated fats. Depending on the oil it could be saturated but would most likely be unsaturated. Stay away from saturated fats as much as possible.