PDA

View Full Version : Board Press question

debussy
02-21-2004, 08:10 PM
i've seen you guys talking about board press routines increasing your 1RM. one of the threads in the forum describes a routine where you increase the amount of boards and weight as the weeks pass...

i have a different idea. somebody tell me if my reasoning is off. lets say 225 is my 1RM right now and i have a short term goal of 240.

week 1: 5 boards. work up to... 225 x 3. 240 x 1.

week 2: 4 boards. work up to... 225 x 3. 240 x 1.

week 3: 3 boards work up to... 225 x 3. 240 x 1.

week 4: 2 boards work up to... 225 x 3. 235 x 1.

week 5: 1 board work up to... 225 x 3. 235 x 1.

week 6: 0 boards work up to...225 x 3. 235 x 1.

MAX DAY!: When you're ready ... pick a day and go throw up your target weight (240).

an average of 5lbs increase of your bench per week. doesnt seem too bad.

i know this is completely ass backwards... but it seems pretty reasonable to me. any comments on this approach? also this is assuming you do you speed bench workouts as well.

Darracq
02-22-2004, 06:40 AM
I think its a better idea the other way that way your lifting heavier weights every week and when you come back to flat bench it will seem lite. Also you need to max out on each board not just use a certain weight.

Anthony
02-22-2004, 07:26 AM
Part of the reason to increase the number of boards (and therefore the weight used) is to prepare your body to hold more weight. Also, if you are wearing a shirt, you're more focused on training the mid-top part of the lift.

KingJustin
02-22-2004, 08:51 AM
The goal of a max-effort day is to create a lot of strain. Simply picking a weight and working up to it is not a great idea. You want to lift the maximum amount of weight that you can and struggle with it. You might have an off day or you might have a great day. Why pick the weight beforehand?

debussy
02-22-2004, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. I was just thinking about that when i was bored, so don't worry if it doesnt make too much sense. I still dont really understand why you would want to decrease the ROM as each week passes though. Isn't it true for most people that the hardest part of the lift is off the chest and the middle of the lift? Seems like you are neglecting the weak points if you decrease the ROM each week. How about this idea... you max out on 5 boards, 4 boards, 3 boards, .... down to no boards. That way you can already be used to holding big weight at the top of the ROM, and you can get acclamated to doing heavier weight at the bottom of the ROM. what do you guys think of that? still kind of dumb? hehe.

Anthony
02-22-2004, 02:03 PM
Most people who train with boards are wearing bench shirts, so their weak point is the mid-top range, not the bottom. Also, Bizatch has a good point about not mapping out what weight you will use ... go with the flow and see how much you can do on each ME day.

debussy
02-22-2004, 02:22 PM
sounds good. i was just trynig to making something simple more technical than it should be. i never understand something about the bench shirts. why arent they considered "cheating" if they help you get the weight off your chest? seems like thats the hardest part of the lift. is the shirt's main purpose for preventing shoulder injuries?

Anthony
02-22-2004, 02:43 PM
Depends who you ask. It's not cheating if you are competing in a contest where everyone else has access to the same equipment. But if you're not competing, there's not much point in using one. Some will argue it protects your shoulders/chest from damage, which I suppose it does to a degree. Also, if your weak spot is off the chest, the bar is too heavy. Most people fail half way because of triceps.

Adam
02-22-2004, 04:54 PM
I agree with everything Anthony said.